Weird behaviour by AI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird behaviour by AI?

I just had something weird happen. I was playing as the Morganites (Thinker difficulty), and Santiago pulled up in a transport foil with two powerful units (5-1-1) on it. I gave her 2 techs to pledge blood truce. Next turn she landed the two units, and the turn after that she violated the truce and attacked my base once. My base only had 1 defender which she easily beat... but then, she didn't take the base with the second unit; in face, the other unit seemed to disappear, and transport foil left. I assumed the second unit was on the foil. Next turn I had managed to get a second unit to the base, and rush-build an offensive unit. Her unit killed my second unit, but I then killed her one unit that was there. I just checked the foil, and it is empty. The only conclusion I can come to is that she took mercy on me and instead of taking my base with the second unit when it was defenceless, she disbanded it! Anyone seen this happen before?
    === Jez ===

In fact I can go one better; looks like I had it autosaved just before Santiago was about to do this, and I can reliably reproduce the behaviour. The game is attached as a save to this post.

Jez3.zip

Don't move units, and in one turn Santiago should land both units. Second turn, she should attack (breaking the truce) but one of her units disappears! Did she disband it??
    === Jez ===

Comment

Here's my hypothesis. The AI does decisions on a unit-by-unit basis. For some reason it thinks its only options are to disband (get out of my territory as we have a blood truce), or attack (break the truce). It doesn't consider moving back to the transport foil.

For the first unit, the AI's "irritation factor" isn't high enough to justify breaking the truce, so she disbands the unit, but the "irritation factor" goes up. For the second unit, the "irritation factor" is high enough that she's rather break the truce than disband. Could that be right?
      === Jez ===

Comment

Nope, the reason is something else. For some reason the AI relocates a couple of units to Training Camp wich means that it has one more unit than the base can support. When that happens, a unit will be disbanded, and to your luck it's one of the attackers.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

BTW, why haven't you enabled "Mouse at edge scrolls view" ? It was driving me mad it wasn't on

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

That drives me mad when it IS on.
            === Jez ===

Comment

You may find this interesting

Originally posted by jez9999 View Post
              That drives me mad when it IS on.
              You certainly are weird - welcome to the "family"

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
              X