Fixing SMACX Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important bug discovered!

The save with the bug is attached. The bug is that my secret project doesnt complete, at University Base.

I think is because i scrape the base 'The Hive', before I complete the secret project.

Yes if you look at that save, you see that i need to build more then 512 bases, so pls fix that too!
    Attached Files

Comment

• First, let me say how impressed I am with your empire!

This does appear to be a bug. At the end of MY 2221, University Base is scheduled to complete the Universal Translator the next turn. The cost to "hurry" the SP is 96 EC. If, at the beginning of the next turn (MY 2222) we abandon The Hive by building a CP, then the UT does not finish that turn and the cost to hurry is still 96 EC. The UT finally completes in MY 2223. OTOH, if we delay production of the CP in The Hive in MY 2222, then the UT finishes the same turn.

It appears that, for some reason, abandoning The Hive causes the game not to process University Base that turn. I can't recall seeing this before. Good catch!
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

• It's a bit more complicated than that. If I load the save and choose End Turn, the colony pod is build and UT isn't build, but if I visit University Base (F4 - zoom to base) and then End Turn, then UT is finished but the CP isn't.

Hope that I have added a bit of confusion to the problem
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by Petek View Post
          I can't recall seeing this before.
          I've run into this before. The next base in the list is skipped (no minerals are added to the production queue) if a base is abandoned.
          Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

• Is the bug fixing process still in progress?

I'd love to have AI terraforming properly - boreholes and everything.

Also, can the bug fixes be extended to SMAC as I really loathe the add-on. The new factions are only appropriate for a more developed society and the Pirates are just munchkins.
            Last edited by kittenOFchaos; February 17, 2011, 15:27.

Comment

• Also, can the bug fixes be extended to SMAC as I really loathe the add-on.
              The scient's patch works with SMAC already, you just have to use the "terran.exe" file from the archive (terranx.exe is for the loathable add-on).

I guess it can be done but it requires a lot of effort. They messed the whole terraforming part of the AI, not a bit good about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
                Is the bug fixing process still in progress?
                scient is no longer active on the SMAC boards so the project is stalled for the moment.

Originally posted by kyrub View Post
                I guess it can be done but it requires a lot of effort. They messed the whole terraforming part of the AI, not a bit good about it.
                scient said he will concentrate on fixing bugs before he will make changes to the gameplay (if any) and there are still a lot of bugs to be fixed.
                alphacentauri2.info * Alpha Centauri players group * IRC channel #smac

Comment

• there are still a lot of bugs to be fixed.
                  That's a surprise for me. I thought the major part was done. Apart from the Talent-facilities-malfunction, I cannot think of any other big fish. Could you name a few of them?

Comment

• let's take for example the bugs still affecting the MP games.
                    to name just a few:
                    -the graphics bug in SMAC IP games and in all MP SMAX games
                    -the comm link bug (the respective parameter in the alphacentauri.ini is not imprinted in the scenario)
                    -the probe teams and council notification missing in MP, and we can go on like this..
                    we had a huge list on the WPC Wiki but with the forum upgrade is no longer available.
                    i'm trying to convice someone to extract it so i can make it available on the net.
                    alphacentauri2.info * Alpha Centauri players group * IRC channel #smac

Comment

• Originally posted by bdanv View Post
                      let's take for example the bugs still affecting the MP games.
                      Ah well, the MP bugs. Sadly, I'm totally SP oriented, so AI problems are far more important to me. And the painful Talent bug, which I hope we can get rid of.

Comment

• Why is scient the only person able/willing to try and fix SMAC?

It could be even more awesome.

Comment

• As I recall, scient worked in the computer industry and had 5+ years of experience in reverse engineering. He also fixed bugs in another game (Planetscape: Torment) before coming to SMACX. He used at least two specialized programs to "read" the exe files, find the bugs and then fix them. Some other SMACX players asked for advice about how to do the same thing, but scient left before that happened.
                          "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                          -- Kosh

Comment

• Scient is clearly a 'talent' whilst we are all drones

Comment

• Hi friend...

I've just drop by, trying to find a decent patch for SMAC and SMACX which solves definitely the crash relating the air units (mine or from the AI factions), and you listed many solved bugs/exploits/ui, one of them being precisely that annoying crash, which has left me many games unfinished due the impossibility to avoid (at some advanced turn of the game) some air scrambling fights. Your post seems you found that patch, or you didn't? If you have one, please, tell me where I can find it...

Comment

• When you defend yourself against native mind worms, and they get killed, you should also get energy credits, just like when you attack them and they get killed because of your attack.

Comment

Working...
                                X