No announcement yet.

Fixing SMACX Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I see, thanks, DrazgarLn. I may try that.

BTW, to correct what I said above, it is not a case of MOO3 being my first love in space strategy gaming but that my first love is space strategy gaming; one or other version of SMAC is what I would be happy to play if I were washed up on a desert island, so long as the CDs, computer and independent power supplies were washed up there along with me!

Live long and prosper.

Comment

• scient is looking into the maximum unit issue. He could use a save where this problem arose. This where there are around 2048 units among all factions and no more units can be produced.

Originally posted by scient
      Well, just doing a quick scan through I think I found values I need to look at. But a save game would definitely help otherwise will have to create a new game with 2048 units myself to test.
      Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

• Werrrry interesting you should provide that post, Vyeh. I have reached 2353 for the first time since I have played SMAC Alien Crossfire in XP. I have been all ready to send you that break game save but it hasn't happened yet. Watch this space. or as the case may be.

Incidentally, the automation of SMAC units, such as the probe teams and air units, even after ten years is stunning. It leaves Planetfall asleep at the post.

Live long and prosper.

Comment

• Startup Crash

Okay, so... I can't get SMAC working. Have both SMAC and SMAX. Installed both, installed AC4 and AX2 patch, and XP patch. Start up, Terranx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Try a few setting changes, nothing. The .ini doesn't even have anything in it, nowhere I can replace the Voxel setting, so I type it in manually and see if that does the trick. Same error immediately on startup.

Uninstall everything, reinstall just SMAC, AC4 and XP patch. Same error, only with terran.exe instead of terranx. I can't even get a title screen. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

• What's your OS and what have you tried so far? If you haven't already done so, try various compatibility options from the program's properties in the shortcut.

Petek
            "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
            -- Kosh

Comment

• Base lines bug

So i have built a colony pod on a size 1 base. The base was dismantled and i got my colony pod, but ... the base lines are still there. And i built a new base, and still old base lines show. It was with gaians, from a base surrendered to me by university.
              Attached Files

Comment

• scient's progress report at CGN

'poly readers may be interested in the following progress report by scient.

Originally posted by scient
                Sorry for taking awhile to post in here, I've been really busy. I haven't had chance to read boards in awhile. A few things.

First off, I've finished porting over all applicable fixes from SMAX exe to SMAC as well as testing them except two. I'm not able to fully test pole/intercept crashes in SMAC since I don't have saved games to reproduce problem. However, patched code for these particular fixes is solid and I did make sure it was behaving how I intended it to in SMAX. I still need to clean up readme and look into few other minor things like making tweaks to multiplayer pass system like I said I would. I'm aiming for release by end of week, for real this time.

Comment

• dont forget to fix the 512 base limit bug ! i need it fixed so i can continue an awsome game with many many bases.

Comment

• I've started to look into it the_rest but it's not as easy to fix as max units and will require some a lot more testing / analysis. But I hope to solve it along with max city population roll over to negative bug.

Comment

• More then 7 factions ?

How about a patch where more then 7 factions can play ? Wouldn't that be awsome ? Like, say, we could play against ALL factions in SMACX, both old factions and new factions ?
                      Playing against a selectable number of players would do the trick, select to play against a minimum 7 players, a maximum of 15 ?

Would be a new challenge for single players, and harder. That would rock bad!

Comment

• as far as i know, scient is considering also removing the 7 factions limit. however this will be low on his priorities list as the bugs are coming in first.

as for new single players challenges, please take a look at the AC Game of the Month contest. (see my signature for the link)
                        alphacentauri2.info * Alpha Centauri players group * IRC channel #smac

Comment

• Originally posted by the_rest View Post
                          How about a patch where more then 7 factions can play ? Wouldn't that be awsome ? Like, say, we could play against ALL factions in SMACX, both old factions and new factions ?
                          Playing against a selectable number of players would do the trick, select to play against a minimum 7 players, a maximum of 15 ?

Would be a new challenge for single players, and harder. That would rock bad!
                          If you go to CGN and post a new thread, we can start a discussion there. And maybe you can convince us to increase the priority.

Originally posted by bdanv View Post
                          as far as i know, scient is considering also removing the 7 factions limit. however this will be low on his priorities list as the bugs are coming in first.
                          scient did do a fix increasing the maximum number of units. The criteria that we like to use:

(1) Is it noncontroversial? Clearly the option to go from 7 factions to a larger number would not create controversy.

(2) How serious is it? As bdanv indicated, crashes to desktop are the most serious followed by bugs followed by increasing flexibility for modders.

(3) How easy is it to implement?

Of course, we will look at this request along with others, but you are more likely to increase the priority if other members of the project agree with you (note that scient and I do check this thread regularly).

Please keep in mind these words from scient's OP:

Originally posted by scient View Post
                          If anyone can put me in contact with Brian Reynolds or Brad Oliver please let me know.

...I'm trying to avoid making any changes that would be considered tweaking the game and to stay true to original mechanics. In some cases this is difficult to do and I try to make the best judgement as to what was originally intended based on other portions of the game. But I'm always open to hear arguments regarding any changes.
                          And I also have an announcement that may interest fans of scient:

The Civilization Gaming Network appoints scient as moderator of the SMAC/X - General/Help/Strategy game forum (along with Nim) and of the CMN private forum (along with chuft, who has also been promoted to super moderator).
                          The project has come a long way since February 13, 2009 when scient made his first 'poly post:

Originally posted by scient View Post
                          I'm looking into resolving this in exe but have some questions.
                          and then proceeded to fix the infamous probe rollover bug in one day!

Comment

• Originally posted by DrazharLn View Post
                            I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it here, but scient has hosted his patch here. You'll need a forum account to download, but it's no biggie.

The linked thread also contains more up to date information on the patch.
                            Recent story entry at WePlayCiv.com:

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossfire Unofficial Patch released!

Version 1.0 of the Unofficial SMAC/X Patch, which fixes bugs in Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire and, now, Alpha Centauri, was released on May 7, 2010. Brendan Casey (scient) leads the project, which began in February 2009 at Apolyton and moved in July 2009 to the Civilization Gaming Network.

Until now the patch was only hosted at CGN; however, WPC, which recently relaxed its rules on hosting altered executable (.exe) files, also hosts the patch. The Unofficial Patch may be downloaded from CGN or WPC.

Brendan Casey will continue developing further versions of the patch at CGN, however, CGN and WPC will share publicity and distribution.

Comment

• hi, i want to pint out a bug. it involves formers building a forest, and there is an adjacent square that already has a forest. so the forest may expand to where the former is planting the new forest.

the former keeps wasting precious turns to build a forest, but the forest is already there!

an interesting fact: if i manually wake up the former, and tell it to build the road, it builds it immediately, not in 2-3 turns.

Comment

• Originally posted by the_rest View Post
                                hi, i want to pint out a bug. it involves formers building a forest, and there is an adjacent square that already has a forest. so the forest may expand to where the former is planting the new forest.

the former keeps wasting precious turns to build a forest, but the forest is already there!
                                I created a bug report. Feel free to register at CGN and explain the bug in greater detail.

Did you register under a different name to download the patch?

Originally posted by the_rest View Post
                                an interesting fact: if i manually wake up the former, and tell it to build the road, it builds it immediately, not in 2-3 turns.
                                The former can store up terraforming turns under certain circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                                X