Fixing SMACX Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by scient View Post
    @Darsnan: I'll add these to my notes to look into at some point. These mainly are things that would be questionable to consider as fixes/bugs. First thing I plan on doing is resolving as many of the unquestionable game breaking bugs / exploits. Then I'll move on to things like these.

If I ever did work on some of these I would make them separate from my main fix patch. That isn't to say I don't agree with you that improving the AI and such would be a good thing.

Fixed! What seemed to be the problem is that there are some global variables which never get reset when "Air Scramble" is toggled. There is a function used in other areas during combat/movement which takes the current unit id and sets these globals. So, the current fix I've done is calling this function using the unit id of the jet being scrambled at top of "air scramble" code. I've got to do some more testing and analysis but it's now working 100% without crashing.

edit:
    I thought I'd throw these in.

it says fixed...but i cant find how it was fixed. anybody can help me out here?

Comment

• Welcome, arturosybios!

After scient used a disassembler to turn the machine code into assembly code, he used a debugger to find the error, and rewrote the assembly code to prevent the error and then recompiled the new assembly code into a patch. There is an issue with posting or providing a link to the patch at 'poly.
      Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

• dang....thats what i was afraid of. i've had this bug buging me ever since i first started playing AC...and this is always the reason y i stopped playing. i've even wrote to Firaxis about this but no response whatsoever about it. i thought it would have been fixed when the patches n crossfire came out but WTH....still no change.

anyway...if somebody would like to "donate" the fix to me, you can send it to sybios@gmail.com. i would be forever grateful. trust me. a lot of ppl i know would be grateful(there are at least 5 ppl that are hooked on this game but have always been put off by this bug)

Comment

• just crashed for the 20th time...so i decided to read thru the whole thread and found out that the patch isnt for distribution...why is it that scient is on Firaxis' payroll? it would make life for AC fans so much better. superb game...crappy tech support. this is frustrating as hell...

Comment

• arturosybios, nasrudin, scient is currently online at the Spellhold Studios site. I've asked him if I could distribute his patch on a test basis.

Please check your PM's over the next couple of weeks.

Edit: scient said it is OK for me to distribute it on a test basis subject to the following condition:

Originally posted by scient
            Just make sure it has the readme with it.
            I don't have the readme, so I'm trying to get my hands on it.

Please note that our agreement with 'poly is no attachment and no links in the thread; however, PM communication is allowed.

Second edit: I got the readme from scient. I'm trying to test a way of distributing it. I need to get some technical issues worked out. I'll let the two of you know by PM when I'm ready.
            Last edited by vyeh; June 28, 2009, 14:56.

Comment

• A few words from scient on the bug fix project

A few words from scient on the status of the bug fix project:

At the moment this project is on semi-hold until I've finished up work on another project for the classic isometric RPG Planescape: Torment (shameless plug). That said, I plan on looking into isolated problems like crashes and such. However, any major overhaul to game mechanics such as morale (ugh) will have to be after I've completed my work on PST.
              While I will be checking this thread, if you prefer that scient sees your bug report unfiltered, you can post your bug report here
              Last edited by vyeh; July 8, 2009, 11:21.

Comment

• I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it here, but scient has hosted his patch here. You'll need a forum account to download, but it's no biggie.

The linked thread also contains more up to date information on the patch.

Comment

• scient recently made these comments:

Hey all, I just wanted to pop by and let everyone know I haven't abandoned AC community. I had to take leave of absence for awhile for personal reasons (this included my work on PST) and have only come back recently. I do plan on updating my unofficial patch in coming months. Just as soon as I finish a few things I've already 90% done with in Planescape. I guess this thread is mainly to say hi and to let everyone know to keep reporting bugs because I'll definitely look at them. I'll try to be more active on here than I have been (yay like 2 posts!). Also, everyone should thank vyeh for keeping me up to date and encouraging me to get on here.

Comment

• Sixty four thousand dollar question!

Incidentally, never, ever in my Web life have I ever had as much trouble entering a forum as this.

Anyway, I have downloaded Scient's new patch. Will this patch fix the problem of using big maps in SMAC-X, which is what caused me to move to Civ IV Planetfall, or must I await another?

Live long and prosper.

Comment

• I have no problem using large maps with his mod (even up to 1000x1000 + sizes). I can only speak for myself, however. I don't recall whether the patch specifically fixes this problem.

Comment

• Of all space strategy games the original SMAC, and then with Crossfire, was the game I loved the most.

But I finally defected from SMAC to Civ IV: Planetfall after several attempts to get beyond mid-game with a large map, despite having applied the XP patch. Some one suggested that the game would have needed major surgery for it to handle large maps. I have left a post on here querying whether that major patch had been carried out but have not received a reply.

I am trying it out again with this new patch.

Live long and prosper.

Comment

• It's always good to see new players coming in.

Comment

• There are several issues with large maps,

(1) There has been success in creating really large maps, but one actually has to create a scenario. (So try not to see where the other factions are.)

(2) The other issue is that apparently there is a maximum of 2048 total units among all factions. I suspect this is the issue Cmcastl is running into if he can start a game with a huge map, but runs into problems later. I'll send a PM to scient. Maybe this is an easy issue. It would help if Cmcastl could attach a saved game involving a huge map where he ran into a problem.

There is only one scient patch that has been released.

I realize Cmcastl has been persistent in bringing up the issue of huge maps and I'll direct scient's attention to the issue. If the problem in mid-game is something different from an issue with maximum number of units, please post.

Edit: Petek has reminded me that there is a saved game at post #453 above.
                            Last edited by vyeh; February 7, 2010, 04:06.

Comment

• New player? Duhhh...

I say again, duhhh, as you Americans put it; I was playing this game in the years 1999-2000!

I came back to SMAC a year or two back, after having enjoyed a couple of years playing MOO3, my first love in space strategy gaming, but found that in several games I could not get beyond some 300 moves before it crashed therefore I gave up and started up on Civ IV: Planetfall, which I shall not bad mouthe. It is a great game, the eye candy is eye-popping and plenty of new techs. EXCEPT there is

a) no workshop
                              b) very limited automation of units, particularly probe teams
                              c) far too strong native flora and fauna, at every level, particularly at sea.

In short, the automation of SMAC and the eye candy of Planetfall would make a game that would mean you would have to give up work, marriage and dedicate the rest of your life to the game but that is, probably fortunately fir many of us, not about to happen.

I have started on SMAC again because just possibly Scient's latest patch might cure some of the crashes I encountered before; we shall see. Although on the other hand, thank you Vyeh, for noting this absolute limit in units - this may be the killer! Very useful "knowledge nuggett" that. If it could be solved that would be a powerful plus for returning the original game with all the PC power we now have.

Hmmm... create a scenario, you say; I shall have to tinker with that then

Incidentally, it is a minor point but I can't get Alien Crossfire to work at all - I have, of course, upgraded to the XP patch - even though I use the AC CD to enter the game and then choose the classic SMAC! But it is, I re-iterate, a minor point, since I am happy enough with SMAC.

Live long and prosper.

Comment

• You may be in luck, I wrote an installation guide for SMAC(X) over here.

Comment

Working...
                                X