ACDG5: The Wardroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timsup2nothin
    We have reached the time I initially suggested for the current vote on base locations. Although I said initially that later voting would be acceptable with discretion, I have been told that the colony pod operators are on the ground and awaiting instruction, so I intend to have our Logistics Analyst, Lt Bodissey, put the results of the vote into action ASAP.

I would also like to welcome Commander Dacole, and suggest that he accept a voluntary demotion as many of us did when the command structure broke down in the wake of the XO deserting the ship. We are all Leutenants here on the council, equal in rank and seniority.
    OOC: old vetrans I thought were commanders I can take lt though. Not sure how much into voting I will be. How would I go about getting a map of the game. Also if I screw up how we changed the introduction story let me know.

Grumble, I was a commander when we launched I am a commander now. The experience I have on earth did not disappear when the command structure broke down. Still call me what you like I care not. Lal attempted to keep things together when the captain was assassinated by the Spartan faction. Finding that faction and wiping them out should be our first order of business in my opinion. They more than lal are responsible for our current situation. Yes I remember I voted against execution and you did not Tim I will not comment further on the matter.
    A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Comment

Originally posted by dacole

Yes I remember I voted against execution and you did not Tim I will not comment further on the matter.
      Water under the bridge my friend, water under the bridge. Nerve staple?

I actually have more of an urge to catch and execute our former XO, Yang, who deserted the mission to go set up his own weird utopia, but I'm all for whipping the Spartans too.

Comment

The scan of the landing site is here and a scan of where our units landed is here.

Our current base placement is here.
        Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Originally posted by timsup2nothin

Water under the bridge my friend, water under the bridge. Nerve staple?

I actually have more of an urge to catch and execute our former XO, Yang, who deserted the mission to go set up his own weird utopia, but I'm all for whipping the Spartans too.
          Yang is only as guilty as the other leaders for deserting after the the Spartans made their move. The Spartans are guilty of starting us down this road. I have had my daily nerve staple thank you. If you will excuse me I must go administer Lal's hourly one. I will try to keep the screams to a minimum this time.

Comment

Without nerves there are no screams, to my recollection.
            All your base are belong to us

Comment

Lt. Bodissey,

Isn't the time up for voting?

I think our esteemed Lt. Chairman said base governors would be assigned as soon as voting on HQ governance closed.

Comment

Excuse me all, that last staple was particularly enervating.

It is now ~2200, so I must go with the votes we have. While they are not numerous, they are unanimous, so it is safe to say we are committed to the 'faction leader' option for managing the HQ Base.

At this time I would like to appoint Base Commanders for the other two bases without the formality of a vote, but I think it is necessary to allow a decent interval for dissent, in case there is any.

If there is no dissent I would like Lt Bodissey to take the base currently known as North, and Lt Dacole to take the base currently known as East. These capable Leutenants are on record as volunteers, but they are of course welcome to dissent along with everyone else, particularly if I have misunderstood which one gets which base.

Dissent of the form 'but I wanted that base' will only be accepted from someone who can show that they are not only on record as volunteering, but can show they volunteered before Bodissey or Dacole did. Even if you can't show that, such a statement will of course stand you well in the assigning of upcoming bases, as will a solid record of voting on council issues, even if your stated vote is 'abstain'.

As to voting, the remaining issues to be resolved are unit deployments and research direction. I would like to allow some time for further discussion, but we are standing around on a potentially hostile planet so I cannot allow too much more.

At ~0200 I intend to call the Base Commander appointments final, and present option slates based on discussion for voting on these final issues, as well as any others that come up between now and then. I know that is only four hours from now and I apologize, but the planet waits for no man.

Comment

Lts. Bodissey, dacole,

Could I speak to you two in the corner?

Comment

Lt. Chairman,

I'd like to present my thoughts on unit deployments.

We have three scouts, three formers and three droids.

Scouts: I see three viable options.
                    (a) Send them exploring unknown territory immediately;
                    (b) Garrison nearest base until base has built garrison (or one is made available) and then explore; or
                    (c) Garrison nearest base (once we've figured out how to build rovers, we send rovers out to explore).

I favor (b). Exploration is vital, but losing a base would be catastrophic.

Formers: I see only two logical options.
                    (a) Assign each former to governor of nearest base; or
                    (b) Take control of formers, build roads connecting the bases or toward expansion base site (at that point, formers could be assigned to governor of nearest base or they could be kept under faction control; the latter option is more acceptable if we research Centauri Ecology as the governors can build their own formers).

I favor (b). Interior line of communication is vital.

Crawlers: Since crawlers have to be assigned to a base to convoy resources, I see three possible viable options.
                    (a) Assign each crawler to the governor of the nearest base.
                    (b) Assign one crawler to one base and assign the other two to another base (most likely the HQ); or
                    (c) Assign all three crawlers to a single base (most likely HQ).

I favor (a), with the possibility that crawlers could be reassigned at a later date. (b) or (c) would benefit the capital at the expense of one or the other two bases.

Comment

Lt Bodissey stands up, clears his throat and begins to answer:

Regarding scouts, I would favor a mix between (a) and (b), i.e. explore the immediate vicinity of the nearest base before we garrison it.

Formers should be kept as a pool in order to combine their forces and finish jobs but this requires them to have finished the roads first. I'm in favor of pooling them under faction direct control until voted otherwise (b).

Crawlers are to be assigned to the nearest base at first, until they are needed to fuel (not cashed) a vital Special Project within a single base. I seem to share vyeh's views regarding this matter, so (a) until voted otherwise.
                      All your base are belong to us

Comment

Okay. Not really as much discussion as I had hoped, but let's see what we've got. As usual, please place all votes in
                        this thread. Please reference your vote to the specific issue, such as 'Former Droids'.

On the issue of the former droids there are two questions.

First is their ultimate assignment. Please vote for:

Federalize: This makes these initial units the core of a faction directed team that can quickly manage tasks like building interconnecting roads and setting up ahead of expansion bases.

HQ Command: This assigns these units to the HQ base, which may well be assigned priorities like major projects and not have opportunities to build mundane former units by the time we have the ability to build them.

Base Distribution: This distributes one droid to each of our three bases.

Second is initial tasking. Please vote for:

Intercon Roads: Build roads to connect our existing bases first.

Forest: Plant at least one area of forest with each unit somewhere in the scanned area between the bases.

Base Commander's Discretion: Turn the units over immediately to whatever command was chosen in part one. *note: not compatible with a vote for 'Federalize', since that implies this council is the commander.
                        Last edited by timsup2nothin; June 11, 2008, 21:34.

Comment

Scouts

On deployment of the existing scouts we are all interested in security and exploration, so we will describe our policy in terms of how much security to have before sending scouts.

Explore Now option: Scouts out and about, Base Commanders better get hot about garrison building.

Garrison and Go option: Existing scouts garrison bases until relieved, then explore. North base and HQ will build garrisons ASAP, with HQ building one for East and then one for themselves.

Garrison option: Assign existing scouts as garrisons, get explorers from bases at Commander's discretion.

Garrison Plus option: Similar to Garrison and Go, but exploration will be held off until garrisons for bases plus guards for Supply and Former Droids are on stations.

Comment

On the supply droids there are two questions:

First, permanent assignment:

Federalization Option: Droids will be subject to routine reassignment by the council.

Base Commander Option: Droids will be turned over to Base Commanders who may use them at their discretion.

Second, immediate disposition:

HQ Option: The three supply droids will head immediately to HQ to take advantage of the ruins and make the faction competetive in major projects.

Base Distribution Option: Each droid will proceed to the nearest base.

Comment

I am not prepared to call a vote on technology at this time, and may never be. I'm a soldier. I favor weapon techs. I know there are underlying technologies that make weapon techs possible, but don't really get all that.

I would appreciate it if someone would take on this issue, preferably someone who would be willing to trade part of their nerve staple ration for a cool title and an office in the Central Complex at HQ base.

Comment

I have some experience with technology and would not mind leading the council in that direction. I will say though that I favor more bread and butter technologies.

For the discussion on formers, exploration and crawlers. Until we know that their is an immediate danger I think we should use the rovers to explore. Planet is large and we may be many miles away from any other faction or they may be right next to us. We don't know. This is unacceptable knowledge is the first and most important weapon. Each base however should make building a garrison its first priority.

The formers should work on building roads first in case we are attacked early so weak cities can be reinforced than be turned over to the base commanders. Any formers the base commanders build (unless asked to build them by the faction head) should be their property and they should control their use.

The same should be true for crawlers though if the resources used to make them need to be used desperately to finish a vitally important project that should take precedence. Centauri ecology should be our first tech for the potential of the weather pardagrim as well as the fact that if we are to live here we must learn as much as we can about the enviornment of this planet along with the reasons I have outlined before.

(We may need more time on votes I can't always come here every day).

Comment

Working...
                                X