ACDG5: The Wardroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vyeh
    Obviously, you're implying that the expansion base will have access to the supply pod near the western colony pod.

I've amended my vote.
    Thank you. I didn't know I implied that, but I will support whatever position you take on the issue. If you look carefully at things I've said I have been as much in favor of sea access as anyone, I just always thought the capital was not the best choice for getting it.

At approx. 2000 hrs (it is approx 0300 at this posting) I will start looking for options on the issues of existing unit deployment and initial construction, based on whatever results are available on the capital and base placement issue. That is not saying that anyone who hasn't voted by then cannot be heard. It is saying that after that time you should carefully weigh any vote that would alter the results to see if your belief in your position is sufficiently critical to justify everyone stepping back to reassess.

Between now and then, please give 'opinions in general' on priorities, ie exploration vs security, priorities in terraforming, application of the supply droids, what we need built first, etc.
    Last edited by timsup2nothin; June 9, 2008, 22:07.

Comment

If the movement of the western CP upriver deprives sea access by that base to the sea squares containing the supply pod, then the fix is access by another base.

Since I had just said my vote was originally contingent on an expansion seaport with access to the supply pod and you were promising support for an expansion seaport, I thought the access of the seaport to the supply pod was implied.

Since the other two CP's are near fresh water, those CP's only have access to one (or possibly two) enclosed body of water. Our scanners did not show any fresh water near the western CP, so that body of water is our only immediate access to the salt water sea, and hence to the wider world. I calculated that if the first build of the eastern pod is an expansion CP, we can have a salt water seaport around the time we discover Doctrine: Flexibility.

(Assuming both western and northern base work monoliths, that is 4 laboratory units per year. Eastern base adds another 1. It will take about 14 laboratory units to research the first tech, so three turns for Doctrine: Mobility. If we can research Doctrine: Flexibility immediately, that is another five turns. If eastern crawler harvest 1 nutrient and fresh water mineral bonus is worked, then base has surplus of three nutrients per year and we need a minimum of 8 turns before we can produce colony pod. We may be able to reduce the time it takes base to grow to two by one turn if we farm square where eastern former is. Once farm is complete (after four turns, crawler can harvest two minerals, and base can grow to two in seven turns. If former builds road, it might take expansion CP only two turns to reach seaport site. So seaport is built around same time Doctrine: Flexibility is discovered.)

Then the first seaport build is transport to pop pod and explore sea.

Original scouts should explore as soon as base governors are given enough time to build garrisons. At that point, I like Lt. Stalin's proposals regarding the western and northern scouts. After the eastern scout is relieved by newly built scout from HQ, it should explore site for first expansion base.

As stated previously, order the HQ governor to produce scout garrison for eastern base and order eastern governor to produce expansion CP.
      Last edited by vyeh; June 10, 2008, 00:42.
      Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Ah...okay, got it. Yes. I've been thinking 'sea access' as the southern coast since the scans identified fresh water on the other coast. You were right, my support will be for a base with access to that pod and the sea that it is in.

Comment

The game is launched here:
          Mart
          Map creation contest
          WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Gentlemen,

I'd like to get back to item 2, research direction.

Centauri Ecology has been suggested.

Mobility/Flexibility has been suggested.

I said I didn't have a strong opinion, and I don't. I would like to throw out the idea that weapons technologies may not make the world go round, but they can sure help keep it from rolling over us.

So, more input on this would be of great value.

Comment

Applied Physics leads to lasers. Our southern border is the south pole, so there is no threat there. If we can get to another faction via land, then weapons technology would be useful. Otherwise we've wasted research time.

Lt. Bodissey's Centauri Ecology direction has merit as the Weather Paradigm would give us the ability to build farm/condenser combinations.

While I advocate Mobility/Flexibility because of the visible ocean, I'd like to hear Lt. Bodissey's views.

Lt. Chairman, I believe we have some unfinished business regarding Item 1. As you know, the senior commanders gave us some pretty general instructions regarding division of power. They set up the governor structure to prevent the council from being overwhelmed by details.
              Last edited by vyeh; June 10, 2008, 11:59.

Comment

Good point. In fact I think a recap of the agenda is in order.

Item one: I am strongly in favor of assigning base commanders, but would like to enact a policy of keeping the capital exempt from individual command.

This has been somewhat 'off the table' because of questions about how to interpret the senior command instructions Lt Vyeh refers to. I think this is the core issue of getting our mission progressing and will provide a concise statement of my position shortly.

Item two: Determining our initial research direction.

Under discussion, currently looks like if it were called to a vote on the three possible directions they might well get one vote each.

Item three: Agreeing on a site for the capital. This is two parts. First, determining whether the easternmost of our three pods is in the best terrain, thus should be the capital. I think that part goes quickly but I'm willing to be wrong. Second, selecting a specific tile.

Currently called to a vote

Item four: Determining how much latitude we are willing to give base commanders in locating the remaining two initial bases, if any, and if not than determining exactly where we want them.

Currently called to a vote

Item five: Should existing scout units be kept as garrison or used for exploration.

Some minimal discussion, in many aspects I think this is pending results of the current vote.

Comment

As promised, here is my view on the general instructions we received and the issue of Base Commanders.

As I understand it, the intent of having Base Commanders is two-fold. First, it frees the governing council from the minutia of base management. When we come into conflict with the rebel factions, which we undoubtedly will, no one wants us to be bogged down debating the train schedules taking workers into the fields or exactly where to drill a borehole. Second, it allows for individuality and creativity to flourish, which separates us from Executive Officer Yang's vision of a controlled society.

In order to fulfill the first part, I suggest making base management for any bases left without a Commander part of the faction leader function. As the current faction leader I am willing to be responsible for that. I am also willing to hand that responsibility on along with the responsibility of running these council meetings when a successor comes along.

In order to fulfill the second part, I propose making some bases exempt from the assignment of individual commanders, thus holding the in the faction leader's purview, because they do not lend themselves to individuality. The HQ Base is the first very good example, and I will be calling that question to a vote shortly.

The next possible example is a base dedicated to expansion. I think it is vital to have a base dedicated to producing a steady stream of colony pods so that growth is maintained no matter what distractions or priorities confront us. Constantly belching out pods does not offer much opportunity for creative management.

As I said, I will shortly call the question of management for the capital. I encourage anyone with an interest in our future on planet to at least vote on this issue. Consideration of future bases to exempt is a possible topic of discussion that may call for a vote as well.

Those who would be interested in the challenge/opportunity of base command are of course encouraged to apply.

Comment

I think there is a lot of creative management and responsibility involved in the base responsible for producing colony pods. At this point, that looks like the eastern base. I'd be willing to govern that base if no one else is interested in it.

On the other questions, I very much would like to hear the views of other lieutenants.

Comment

Greetings this is commander Dacole a refuge from the United States. The fundamentalist religious order that was established there in the last few years before the unity launch was not to my liking though I do still hold a soft spot in my heart for non-fundamentalist open minded Christianity. Imprisoning Lal was one of the hardest things I had to do. I would submit that though he was wrong for the current situation we should remember his words on Earth and on Unity and try to emulate them as much as possible. To our current situation before I return to guard duty on Lal. As a former city commander I would remind you that we are trying to create year advantage. These first few decisions are among the most important. Hopefully we will be on planet for many many centuries to come, though unless our scientists are correct and they can extend human life almost indefinitely it will be our descendants not us who benefit. A difference of 1 energy may seem small now but think how that difference of 1 energy adds up over 100 or even 200 years. I would vote for researching centauri ecology though I take our scientists idea for the special project with a grain of salt (I am sure you can all remember scientists saying they can do things they could not really do back on earth) there ideas sound most intriguing, as well if we are researching millitary technologies it will be much easier for our enemies to say "see they are not really interested in peaceful unity they are researching the means to destroy us". Force should be used only as a last resort. We must not repeat the mistakes of earth. Also what are these mind worms you refer to? Do you have access to intelligence that has not been shared with the rest of us?

I would like to have some significant say in the running of, perhaps even a commandship of what ever city is to house Lal's prison as I have been given command of his incarceration.

(note on staying in character: remember the players know significantly more than the characters. The characters haven't seen a mindworm before and they don't really know what the different techs lead to, just like those that built the first computer didn't know it would lead to the internet. I may very well be more of a stickler for this than others. Perhaps there should be an out of character place for discussing strategy?)
                      A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Comment

We have reached the time I initially suggested for the current vote on base locations. Although I said initially that later voting would be acceptable with discretion, I have been told that the colony pod operators are on the ground and awaiting instruction, so I intend to have our Logistics Analyst, Lt Bodissey, put the results of the vote into action ASAP.

I would also like to welcome Commander Dacole, and suggest that he accept a voluntary demotion as many of us did when the command structure broke down in the wake of the XO deserting the ship. We are all Leutenants here on the council, equal in rank and seniority.

Comment

Lt. Dacole,

Welcome!

While Commissioner Lal had good intention, his example of attempting to usurp the Unity chain of command led to the other six faction leaders following his example.

Are you aware that we landed with three Unity former droids?

Comment

Next vote: HQ Base Command

On item one of the agenda, maintaining the HQ base exempt from the suggested 'base commander' system.

Please vote for one of the following choices in this thread.

Faction Leader option: have the faction leader manage terraforming and resource collection in the HQ base, and production within guidelines set by the council.

Council option: have all operations in the HQ base governed by vote of the council.

Base Commander option: assign the HQ to a Base Commander who will operate within the same guidelines as other base commanders.

I would like to have this question resolved quickly so that we can get about the assigning of base commanders and get them started managing their bases. Voting on this issue will close at approx. 2000 hours. Time as of this post is approx 2100 hours.

Comment

Before I vote on this issue, I'd like to hear from the other lieutenants, especially Lt. dacole. He may have an opinion on the best place for Commissioner Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by vyeh
                                Before I vote on this issue, I'd like to hear from the other lieutenants, especially Lt. dacole. He may have an opinion on the best place for Commissioner Lal.
                                I have an opinion on that, however 'out the nearest airlock' was overruled at the time...

Comment

Working...
                                X