going for flex instead of IA first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going for flex instead of IA first

anyone regularaly do this with the builder factions (morgan, uni., etc)? I have in my most recent as morgan, and it utrned out to be a pretty powerful gambit, I got 3 intabuild pods in 3 turns in the early 20's, not to mention comlinks and all the other goodies in the pods, plus you need flex for d:ap later anywyas, anyone else have expereince with this?

I usually do that in SP, as it guarantees you will grab every pod in Planet's waters. It also helps playing tech broker (yes, I stole Aaron's phrase).

Comment

Tech Broker is a pretty old term.
      He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Well, I'm a pretty old guy. :P

Comment

I think you should coin that phrase, man.
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
          *****Citizen of the Hive****
          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Re: going for flex instead of IA first

Originally posted by dmm1285
            anyone regularaly do this with the builder factions (morgan, uni., etc)? I have in my most recent as morgan, and it utrned out to be a pretty powerful gambit, I got 3 intabuild pods in 3 turns in the early 20's, not to mention comlinks and all the other goodies in the pods, plus you need flex for d:ap later anywyas, anyone else have expereince with this?
            I'd never stray from IA path, unless I play a tiny map or Spartans with a neighbour close at hand. Apart from that, it's almost always better to get Wealth, do at least one or two crawlers and then go navy or pick NLM.

You say you got 3 instabuilds, but you could as well have got 3 IoDs...

Comment

Yeah, as to the topic at hand, I don't think I'd divert from IA unless my circumstances absolutely dictated it. Even if I wanted early boats, getting it after IA seems much wiser to me, as I can deploy my fleet faster once I have a handful of crawlers working to increase my mineral income.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron
                Yeah, as to the topic at hand, I don't think I'd divert from IA unless my circumstances absolutely dictated it. Even if I wanted early boats, getting it after IA seems much wiser to me, as I can deploy my fleet faster once I have a handful of crawlers working to increase my mineral income.
                After trying both ways, I agree

Comment

I've played a 1vs1 PBEM game when I won mostly because of my naval superiority.
                  I was Spartans vs Planet Cult, but I think the same scenario could happen to any faction: When I got my 2nd or 3rd boat, I started sniping on his improvements. IMHO it's one of the most cost effective methods in the game to disrupt someone's progression.
                  Of course it works only if your victim has a small island or creates most of it's bases on coast.

Comment

Working...
                  X