Thermal Boreholes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermal Boreholes

Ok, so this may be another newbie question, but is there any reason for thermal boreholes to produce only 2 mins and 2 energy? In my latest game, I've got at least two boreholes doing just that.

You need to research the restriction lifting techs Ecological Engineering and Environmental Economics.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

The speed of the response tells me, yep, it was a newbie question. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
        You need to research the restriction lifting techs Ecological Engineering and Environmental Economics.
        And this the reason why in the early game it is much better to concentrate on things like mining a rocky mineral special.

Boreholes early at 0-2-2 are arguably no better than a forest giving 1-2-1 but once you can lift restrictions their full attributes kick in for great benefits.
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by GameGeek
          The speed of the response tells me, yep, it was a newbie question. Thanks.
          But newbie questions are always welcome. People do recommend looking at things like the FAQs and tooling around in the game for a bit but sometimes a quick question can get a quick answer that would otherwise be frustrating to find.

Oh and make sure to look at your games for times when your food production was not as expected . .. Your quiz for today is to find the tech that lifts the food/nutrients restriction ?
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
            And this the reason why in the early game it is much better to concentrate on things like mining a rocky mineral special.
            Note to comrade GameGeek: resource special bonuses don't take this into account for their particular +2 benefit, condensers ignore this rule utterly.

Originally posted by Flubber
            But newbie questions are always welcome. People do recommend looking at things like the FAQs and tooling around in the game for a bit but sometimes a quick question can get a quick answer that would otherwise be frustrating to find.
            Just in case:

And almighty Vel's guide:

Originally posted by Flubber Oh and make sure to look at your games for times when your food production was not as expected . .. Your quiz for today is to find the tech that lifts the food/nutrients restriction ?
            I for one am not spoiling his homework.

Comment

Oooh, wait! I know this one! What is "Gene Splicing?"

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Trotsky
                Note to comrade GameGeek: resource special bonuses don't take this into account for their particular +2 benefit, condensers ignore this rule utterly.
                As does fungus. Useless fact for standard SMAC, but important to know when playing SMAniaC as the Cult.
                Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

As does fungus. Useless fact for standard SMAC, but important to know when playing SMAniaC as the Cult.
                  I would say super-duper important in a SManiac mod game. (fortunately I discovered this while playing a single player warm-up game as the cult)

Comment

Monoliths also ignore nutrient and mineral restrictions, but not energy restrictions. Go figure.
                    "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                    -BBC news

Comment

When I tried the URL above, I got the following message:

Referer Link Error
                      On every single HTML page of GameFAQs is the following request:
                      Feel free to link to this page, but not directly to the FAQs..
                      You're seeing this error message because it appears that you're linking from an external site directly to one of the text files stored at GameFAQs. GameFAQs is not a free public file server. Bandwidth costs money, and when sites link directly to files stored on the site, it becomes both a financial and resource drain. We've tried asking, but some sites simply don't care, so now we've implemented a technical solution.

Your browser is reporting that you linked to a GameFAQs-hosted FAQ from http://apolyton.net/between.php?url=...entauri_b.txt.
                      Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
                        Monoliths also ignore nutrient and mineral restrictions, but not energy restrictions. Go figure.
                        I assume the context is when the standard 2-2-2 monolith production has been modified in the alphax.txt file.

AFAIK, monoliths always produce 2-2-2 in vanilla SMAC/X.
                        Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Yeah, you can't link directly to any content listed on GameFAQs. Here's a link that should work, just find the guild with Velocyrix's name on it:

Comment

Monoliths normally provide 2/2/2, but benefit from rivers, +2 Econ, and the Merchant Exchange, as well as the very late game Manifold Harmonics and any bonus resources under them. AFAIK, monoliths never naturally appear on the same tile as bonus resources, but the scenario editor can bypass that.
                            "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                            -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
                              AFAIK, monoliths never naturally appear on the same tile as bonus resources, but the scenario editor can bypass that.
                              Don't want to nitpick, but I often see monoliths with bonus resources in the Ruins.
                              "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                              -- Kosh

Comment

Working...
                              X