Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone actually use Artillery Units?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry for the double post, but I had to ask:

what is pod popping?

and didn't want to start a new topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightlifter
      did someone mention nerve gas on artys? I never thought of trying to bombard a city at long range with nerve gas. would it work though? doubt it.
      Arty with nerve gas works, and here is how:

Arty(With ng) versus regular non-arty troops/ city: just pounds them as usual.

Arty (with ng) versus defending arty (no ng): Arty unit with ng gets +50%ng bonus and if it wins the arty dual causes mssive casualties to remaining units/ base.

D

Comment

Originally posted by Nightlifter
        I still wish artys were at least a little more powerful.
        You can do so in alphax.txt
        One of the first lines in the document. Change it to 4,2 instead of 3,2.
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

AI probes are almost always unarmored. If probing a major AI base which has probes defending it, leading with one arty shot will reduce them all to 10% or 20% each.
          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
            AI probes are almost always unarmored. If probing a major AI base which has probes defending it, leading with one arty shot will reduce them all to 10% or 20% each.
            On of my favorite uses-- With similar probe morales you would expect to win and lose probe battle in equal amounts. But that one bombardment usually means you can easily win all the probe battles and have a relatively undamaged probe for future actions
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

You could add armoured probes in the basic units of the alpax.txt. one of the most absolutely annoying units are 0-?-2 probes
              if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by Kataphraktoi

You could add armoured probes in the basic units of the alpax.txt. one of the most absolutely annoying units are 0-?-2 probes
                hmm

but I have had experience (in a Darsnan scenario) where a psi armour probe would not act as a probe. You could perform a probe action on a base while that unit was present.

Perhaps that unit got fixed but I would be very curioud to observe the attributes of such units . They do not necessarily alway behave as expected
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                  but I have had experience (in a Darsnan scenario) where a psi armour probe would not act as a probe. You could perform a probe action on a base while that unit was present.

Perhaps that unit got fixed but I would be very curioud to observe the attributes of such units .
                  That ended up being my bad - I gave the unit the Probe Weapon, but didn't define it to act as a Probe (i.e. I gave it the Defensive function rather than the Probe function). So, it would attack like a Probe, but it didn't defend as a probe.
                  So, psi armored probes, when defined correctly by a CMN ( ) act as normal probes do, to include being destroyed in a stack when the last regular defender has been destroyed.
                  One thing that I never did then try was defining a unit that had a regular weapon attribute, but was defined as a Probe. Wonder how that would work?

D

Comment

hmm

Perhaps that unit got fixed but I would be very curioud to observe the attributes of such units . They do not necessarily alway behave as expected
                    I dont know about that, i just used cruiser probes and went for undefended bases. The offending 0-?-2 were out in the open with high morale and were difficult to defeat on the offensive. Later on when i encountered them again i had elite infantry and they went down like pie.

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

[SIZE=1]
                      One thing that I never did then try was defining a unit that had a regular weapon attribute, but was defined as a Probe. Wonder how that would work?

D
                      Thats what I was thinking. what would be even more interesting to edit alpha.txt so that probes could actually be equiped with artillery

in other words, get in artillery duals with other probes teams...

and perhaps if the engine permits, infiltrate a base from two squares away!

wouldn't that be something!

Comment

Somehow the thought of making covert ops actions with grenade shells makes me

My personal experinces with a 105 mm haubitzer tells me that there isn't much stealth about such
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Here is a challenge:

see if you can compute when it is better to attack with arty than a regular unit.

in other words, how many defending units do there have to be where the damage from an attacking arty
                          would be greater than the loss of one unit and all of its strength points?

for simplicity, let us assume impact artillery vs. plasma sentinels.

[EDIT]: also ignore difficulty level and assume neither unit has a modifier. (does an infantry still have +25% when defending against arty?)

Comment

Given no modifiers: 5 defenders. But the thing that artillery gives you is insurance that none of your attacking units will be lost. If you've got a missile rover attacking plasma steel garrisons behind perimeter defences, you're looking at a 50/50 battle. Shell the base with a couple of artillery and you've virtually guaranteed that you won't suffer any losses in your assault.

Comment

You could just make a few probe teams and do it the proper way...

BTW if you can get the tech, Genetic Plague is really good . Its like Artillery the Way Its Supposed To Be. I would move it down to High Energy Chemistry, and move Nerve Gas(unbalanced) up to Retroviral Engineering

Comment

I Don't like then much, except for fighthing against big stacks.

By the way... Infiltrations with bombs? Yeah yeah, very "Stealthy", I am sure no one is going to hear it!

Comment

Working...
                                X