Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBEM - getting Research Points when conquering bases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBEM - getting Research Points when conquering bases?

I've just recently noticed that when in PBEMs, when I conquer enemy bases I receive (not steal) Research Points. Actually, quite a lot of them, from 80 to 160 and even more. At first I thought it was because I had conquered a base with SP (yes, Kata, your precious shiny PTS), but then I run some tests, both in SP and MP Hotseat scenarios, where it turned out that it is not a project, but multiplayer, that makes the difference and allow to get RPs in my own turn (The enemy in question does not lose anything).

I'm posting it here not exactly knowing if it is so well known feature that nobody even bothers to talk about it, or it is something less obvious.

Those who know more about it, can you tell me something more specific, like possible conditions (if this loot does not take place every time), approximate formulas, etc?

Oh, this situation happens in games with Spoils off, I haven't checked the other option.

(yes, Kata, your precious shiny PTS)
    ...precious...my precccioussss...

Now as to your Q, i ran a quick test. researching aplied gravitonics, tech accumulated is 127 and 6538.8 per turn with required 6570. taking a univ base putting out 90 labs(was 103 before i killed defenders) had zero effect on my labs accumulated. This base had a SP, cyborg factory and yes was in a PBEM. test base courtesy of hercules

Havnt observed it myself. This game has spoils on.
    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

I have never observed this but that does not at all mean it might not happen.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I've had the same in my PBEM last spring. Took a few bases only to discover that a started research was suddenly almost finished. It did help my offendefensive then, having a new weapon a number of turns sooner.
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
          I have never observed this but that does not at all mean it might not happen.
          I was able to reproduce this effect in a default MP scenario: \scenarios\Faction vs. Faction\Gaians vs. Morgans.

Could you just start it as a Hotseat, give each other several units to conquer bases and see what happens? I'm curious myself.

Comment

Didnt you just answer your own questions? it dosnt work with spoils on.

Or maybe im too hasty to make rush descisions

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by Kataphraktoi
              Didnt you just answer your own questions? it dosnt work with spoils on.

Or maybe im too hasty to make rush descisions
              Taking into account I found out about it only yesterday, I'm taken aback it does work at all.

And I wouldn't be so sure about those spoils. Most CGN games have them off, so players like Flubber should have noticed that. I mean, it'd happen more often than "last spring".

Comment

I have seen references to it in the archives,so i wasnt surprised.(maybe explains my willingness to accept it at face value?) although i have no tangible information to support\discredit it

Comment

Some short tests prove you're right - it indeed happens when spoils are off. I've never had a clue about it.

Maybe you could recall any link? Recently the 'poly search engine does not return any results for me, regardless of the keywords given.

Comment

Q: is the number of research points gained equal to the ecs looted?

Comment

Maybe you could recall any link?
                      Sorry, i dont have any saved on that subject. i discarded it as useless info, i guess

Comment

Originally posted by Senethro
                        Q: is the number of research points gained equal to the ecs looted?
                        Far more. At least in several tests I did (later midgames) it fell between 70-80 and 16-170. So it really has an impact on your research rate.

Comment

Working...
                        X