End of an Era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of an Era?

I'm afraid that this post is going be to embarrassingly nostalgic.

Anyway, when I was on my way home from work today thinking about nothing particular, it suddenly struck me: Tonight could mark the end of an era.

Although I play and enjoy a variety of computer games, I believe - and I suppose a few people on this forum might agree - that Alpha Centauri is the best strategy game around. When it was released in early 1999, it took me quite a few weeks until I realised that I really liked it better than Civilization II. Since then, I have not come across any game that could compete. Given the promising previews and the adoption of several SMAC elements, tomorrow's release of Civilization IV might change that, although I probably won't be making up my mind about it for several weeks.

If Civilization IV should turn out to be the new champion of turn-based strategy, Alpha Centauri will have ruled the genre for more than six years. That's a long reign in this kind of industry and whether it's coming to an end or not, I feel like celebrating.

And what better way to celebrate than to play an all-night game of SMAC? I haven't done this for some time (certainly not on a weeknight), but I think I'm sentimental enough to do it tonight and I just passed by here to tempt a few of you to do the same. For me, it won't be anything like a farewell game (heck, I still play the original Railroad Tycoon now and then), but I do hope it will be something special. I don't know whether there will be a better game tomorrow, but tonight, October 24th, 2005, Alpha Centauri is still the best game to play!
    Last edited by Verrucosus; October 24, 2005, 17:26.

Remember to planetbust Lal .

Comment

I don't know whether there will be a better game tomorrow, but tonight, October 24th, 2005, Alpha Centauri is still the best game to play!
      QFT

ill be watching the civ forum tomorow to see how it is.
      if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Remember to planetbust Lal?

That would be difficult, because I'm playing as Lal. Maybe Yang will remember. He's in good shape tonight!

Comment

Smack here. (Smack, Smacksim, etc.. ).

Hear hear! I'm playing an all-night game tonight coincidentally. Its amazing: I have never come back to a game time after time like SMAC. It truly is the best. Thinking about it 'being over' and replaced by something better does make me sad! Strange to get nostalgic over a game, but this game has brought so much fun over the years, and especially in conjunction with all our friendships and discussions here at 'Poly.

The game seems to go hand in hand with late-night intense discussions over 'Should I rush-buy and how much?', or 'Is there a way to make such and such faction winnable?'.

Today I've been perusing old threads r/e rush-buy mathmatics, Cult strategy (yes, there is such a thing!), and the profitability of Clean Reactors. I learned something (again) in each thread. Thats how deep this game is, potentially. Almost limitless ability to improve on strategy by understanding some of the fundamental factors in turn-leveraging, economics, etc.. I remember when Vel was taken aback by the 'crawler crawl' strategy to maximise crawler harvesting turns sans roads. Like Vel, nearly every 'expert' player here has found yet another little something they had never thought about to improve their game here at Apolyton. For me, that's what I'm already nostalgic for: Our old discussions!

But a new game, if it's deep enough, will have its own discussions of these kinds,; Where even the most dedicated players can stand to learn a new trick or two, even years down the road. New friendships will be forged and arguments will bring out the very best in detailed analysis and Eureka! moments (remember Blake and Ned and ? on Ecodamage anyone?)

I just took a look at the reviews for Civ4 and it does look good. It is fairly unlikely though that it will find quite the mathematical depth that SMAC so beautifully paired with an enjoyment of that math. Turn leveraging, yes. Math, yes. But without such things as crawlers, pop booms, and custom units I would hazard a guess that the math won't be quite as 'Holy ****! I never thought of doing it that way', a lovable feature of SMAC for every die hard fan.

And that's really the difference I think. Smac is enjoyable for the casual gamer or Civ player, but without the uncovering of advanced strategies it is just Civ in space, after all. But what looks at first like a game of checkers turns out to be Chess-deep. For many of us, our first whiff of this aspect of the game brought us to Apolyton (in 2000 for me, otherwise known as 2102 in SMAC years). And when we arrived here at 'Poly, our suspicions (that 'There's a lot more here folks' - name the movie) became stupefication followed quickly by joy at finding such a gem of a game over and over again.

I'd better move along....

Quick hello to all my friends here. I'm reading the boards daily now that I'm playing again. This is the 4th time I've come back to 'Poly, so I'd like to apologize once again for the Pbems and ACDG that I abandoned. How did we Gaians do anyways? Chaos Theory and I, though we bickered in other discussions......we had a great time planning moves in detail together I think. And hi to binTravkin, Googlie, Jamski, and especially Blake! Great to see you all still around. I know I forgot a few. HongHu/Snowflake, Geomodder, Darsnan, #endgame, etc.. Take care!

As to the 'end of an era', I'll just wait and see about that . As someone who, like many of us, have left SMAC and come back several times, I won't hang up my terraforming boots just yet. And who knows, maybe there will be a SMAC2 after all? But even if it is the END (weeps bitterly), just remember the words of Sister Miriam Godwinson: "The Righteous need not fear the Drumbeat of human progress". If Civ4 is really good enough to make us all forget about SMAC, then that's exactly what'll happen: We'll forget because we're so happy to have something even better. Human nature has its plus sides, and nostalgia, like boredom, is only an anticipation of blissful forgetfulness later.....

-Smack

Comment

I'm going to play a game of SMAC when I get home from work in a few hours. I finally got my desktop back in action and I miss SMAC. As for Civ 4, I'm looking forward to getting it in a couple of years after the price has come down and the kinks have been worked out. That is if it is good.
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Hi SmackSim!

Planning to stay?
              -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
              -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

And btw - we just played an amazing TCP/IP game yesterday nite with Lazerus (best hiverian around, who was playing Mim like black hell for surprise to everyone), infamous blockhead and ChairmanSlick!!
                -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Emperor

Now we see how you became Spam emperor!

Glad to hear you guys managed to get a TCP/IP running. As for me, I have no idea if I'll be around often. Better to not make any commitments just yet. Amazing to see so many familiar characters still posting away year after year. Tis a good thing I think.

Comment

Good morning, everone!

I finished the game at 4am [yawn] with a diplomatic victory after lots of appeasement by social engineering (only interrupted by stealth pop booming during sunspot activity). Thankfully (from a UN perspective), no weapons of mass destruction were used, although Yang and his friends had managed to repeal the Charter for several years.

Regardless of whether Civ4 will be better of not, I'm certain that I will come back to SMAC. It's a classic. I also have fond memories of all the discussions about the game mechanics. I did more lurking than participating, but those were the great days on this forum. (It's probably good that SMAC didn't have Civ2's complex caravan system. Imagine how that would have been disected!)

Comment

Now we see how you became Spam emperor!
                      You were not far from that yourself!

And Im not spamming!

Comment

Lyer, Your PPD has increased quite a bit lately.
                        He who knows others is wise.
                        He who knows himself is enlightened.
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

IT's still not
                          12.93 posts per day

Comment

Lazerus (best hiverian around, who was playing Mim like black hell for surprise to everyone),
                            lol give it a rest !

but yeah im suprising myself that i'm actually still on tech parity with morgan and uni, though i suppose i need to stop shouting heathens at my drone riots and do something about them before i stagnate. Early funs probably over though, i'll end up slowing down and finish 3rd, still not bad considering i barely transcend with her.
                            War ! huh what is it good for ? Techs !!
                            Last edited by Lazerus; October 25, 2005, 07:05.
                            Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
                              Kindly keep your sources up-to-date!

(12.94 posts per day)
                              He who knows others is wise.
                              He who knows himself is enlightened.
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                              X