No announcement yet.

What facilities don't you build??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I recall it right, then there isn't any nearby land, so if you try that path, the new colonies will be hopelessly ineffective (a forbidden palace would be nice ).

You have to await WP and then build a continent.

It would be nice if I could say it was planned, but it actually was a random map
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

There's tons of facilities that have only situational use, but I can't say I've _never_ built any of them.

The ones I'm least likely to build:

Punishment Spheres - Drone control is just too easy to achieve, and the lab penalty is too steep to make these worth the effort very often. That said, a low-tech faction can a LOT of mileage from these babies if they're willing to forswear research entirely, resorting instead to probe action to maintain technological parity.

Holo Theatres - The Virtual World is usually a high priority in any game I play, but even when I miss it, I find I can often do without until other, better drone-management options are available to me.

Skunk Works - Maybe I should start making these more often, but I find that I rarely am worried about getting prototypes built cheaper.

Bio-labs - I'm kind of partial to biolabs, even though I know they're not the most hyper efficient in terms of cost-reward, but I like the lifecycle bonus they provide, and the free labs in the early game wind up being as good a deal as a network node, with a comparable cost.

Subsea Trunkline - First of all, I HATE seabases. Second, for a coastal base, I'd much rather plant tidal harnesses than offshore platforms. That said, when you capture a seabase and want to make it workable, you need to use drilling, and this makes drilling more viable.

Centauri Preserve - This occupies an interesting place in the tactical spectrum. Early on, I used to build these everywhere. Once I learned the clean mineral formula and how to game it, I'd task a base or two to build and scrap these to crank up my clean mineral rating. But nowadays I find I'm better off building a few trance rovers and formers and just dealing with the results of fungal pops. So these don't see much action anymore.

Comment

I'm a compulsive builder, so I have everything even slightly useful in my core cities. Gives me something to do in SP. That said, I can't remember ever building a Punishment Sphere. That, and I don't have SMAX.
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
          I'm a compulsive builder, so I have everything even slightly useful in my core cities. Gives me something to do in SP. That said, I can't remember ever building a Punishment Sphere. That, and I don't have SMAX.

Yes, I like to lavish facilities on my best cities. All those cheery smiley faces, happily recycling their sewage to spread on their tree farms and eating their fungi pops in the rec commons, before dropping off the baby drones in the creche or catching 'The Crazy Adventures of Corazon S.' at the hologram theatre (that's if I haven't built The Virtual World').

Similarly, I don't recall ever using a punishment sphere in one of my cities.

Of course playing the aliens I build and build and build...
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
          X