• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC2 on gameshout interview

a bit after the 8th min
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Too bad some of the conversation overlaps after the 'twinkle'.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I'll wait for someone to give a transcript of what has been said.
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Two chances...
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I think someone should ask Brian Reynolds what he would think about making another game like SMAC in BHG

Present Firaxis personel seems not sci-fi oriented. they can make Civ or colonization, but I would not count on SMAC2 soon, and even then, it would be lacking here and there.
          Mart
          Map creation contest
          WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

But if BR would be inclined, chances are that it will become an RTS.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

why not to ask him specifically for that? And even then, what if a game-hybrid might be created. A new genre? possible to play real time and turn based as the player chooses. SMAC already has simultaneous TCP/IP, which is kinda RTS.
              Mart
              Map creation contest

Comment

A new genre?
                Nothing new, see Paradox games.

- Pause/Unpause
                - Lower/Heighten speed
                -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
                  I'll wait for someone to give a transcript of what has been said.
                  Me too.
                  SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin

Nothing new, see Paradox games.

- Pause/Unpause
                    - Lower/Heighten speed
                    You know I have even more functionality in mind
                    Mart
                    Map creation contest

Comment

You know I have even more functionality in mind
                      So get a job in gaming industry!
                      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Smacx is something close to what I have in mind. You have real time there, though a turn is clearly defined.

EU2 for example cannot be played pbem, like smacx. Something you can play pbem, then you may continue real time, later go back to pbem. Personally I prefer TBS only. This stresses strategy, as you have more time for working things out. Those real time are for me Duke Nukem or Unreal Tournament. Also Command & Conquer, coz my friend likes it so much, up to Tiberian Sun.

SMACX is however that buggy in TCP/IP that renders almost unplayable.

Another good example is Start Trek: BOTF. no pbem there, just TCP/IP multiplayer. Turn based, but when MP you can additionally choose time limit for turns. Can be unlimitted though. Then there are battles - tactical combat. also in turns, but there is a movie recorded after all things are done. Quite interesting solutions. Simultaneous turns. you do not move units, but issue them orders. Like Stars!, if someone was playing that game.

Somewhere there is an optimum arrangement of RTS-TBS hybrid. But it is not for me to design it. I am too away from RTS.
                        Mart
                        Map creation contest

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                          But if BR would be inclined, chances are that it will become an RTS.
                          Alpha Centauri: Total War

It would actually be an interesting break from the historical Total War settings.
                          <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                          Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy

Alpha Centauri: Total War

It would actually be an interesting break from the historical Total War settings.
                            :drool: I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Imagine a hundred impact rovers rushing over a hill to meet thousands of enemy gatling infantry.
                            'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                            G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Wow, look who's back!

Yeah, orchestrating SMACX warfare in a battlefield would be something really superb.

Comment

Working...
                              X