Looking for a copy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a copy

**waves** Hi, I'm Saki, and I've been an admirer of AC ever since I played it on my friend's computer, but with everything that drains my pocket book I had to budget pretty carefully and now that I'm ready to get my own copy, it's impossible to find in the stores. Does anyone know of a place either online or in my area (The Capital District of New York State, Albany, Troy, Schenectady and surrounding environs) where I can try to get either Alpha Centauri or (hopefully) all the Alpha centauri software in one place?
    Thank you in advance for your help, and though I haven't looked around that much, I was curious...is there an online tournament going on? I saw mention of different people playing others in ongoing games.

Re: Looking for a copy

Originally posted by Saki-chan
    Does anyone know of a place either online or in my area (The Capital District of New York State, Albany, Troy, Schenectady and surrounding environs) where I can try to get either Alpha Centauri or (hopefully) all the Alpha centauri software in one place?
    MediaPlay has been recently carrying SMAC as a standalone, as well as part of EA Games "The Conquerers Collection". Failing that, try the used software stores in your area.

is there an online tournament going on? I saw mention of different people playing others in ongoing games.
    PBEM Tournament games are forming over at CGN . FYI in case your interested.

D

Comment

The Planetary Pack is the one with both SMAC and SMAX. Currently, finding it on the net (used Froogle) for about $74. Yikes! Nothing on ebay either.

However, you could just get started with SMAC, via the Method Darsan suggested, with the The Conquerors Collection. J&R Computer World, which should be close to you, has it for $18.88.

Another option, is to run it under Linux. I see the linux version of SMAC in EB Games all the time, for about $10.

As for getting SMAX, I suggest watching the used bins in your local stores and to check ebay every few days.

Good luck!

Comment

Another option, is to run it under Linux. I see the linux version of SMAC in EB Games all the time, for about $10.
        If you really do so: I want it !
        Please get in touch with me (H dot Humpel at gmx dot de).
        Greetings, H.Humpel

Comment

is watching the movies a requirement? if not i can email you where to get it legally* and super cheap

* legality may depend on users personal ethics
          if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

**smiles** Thank you for all the replies, haven't been able to find it with Media Play, and not sure where J&R is, but In answer to the last question, I really like the game, so the movies aren't necessary...though if I could get the whole thing I'd be happy.

Comment

[OT]
              Anyone with the linux version of SMA(C/X). PM me. I'd like to make a linux version of my mod swapping utility. (See AC-Creation->ModMan)
              [/OT]
              #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
              #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

/me has been nervestapled
                Last edited by binTravkin; September 7, 2005, 07:10.
                -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I'm not really a big computer geek (just a gaming geekette) so not sure how to even think about wether or not to try to get a linux version of AC (plus a version of linux to run it on my computer, plus how to install linux on myt computer!) If anyone is bored you can feel free to tell me all about it and I'll try not to fall asleep.

Comment

who nerve stapled you?

im sending that now saki

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

No one nervestapled him, but binTravkin has been reminded not to post links to warez sites.
                      Last edited by Illuminatus; September 8, 2005, 02:47.
                      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

no one said anything about warez sites.

Comment

Of course no one did. And it should stay that way.
                          SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Cataphract887
                            no one said anything about warez sites.

haven't been able to find it with Media Play,
                            Well since warez isn't an option, then let me be more specific on my original post about MediaPlay: go to MediaPlay and talk to a person who works there about ordering the "EA Games Conquerers Collection". This is a title MediaPlay carries, and the sales assistant will be more than happy to order it for you (of course - its their job! ). FYI.

D

Comment

I wandered through my local GameStop the other day and found The Laptop Collection. I thought about buying it for fun and profit. I bought mine for $40, it was selling for much less than that!

Comment

Working...
                              X