Morgan vendetta for Green economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Verrucosus
    I just did a short test with Deidre in a time warp game. Zak did not comment on Fundamentalism nor did Miriam say anything about Knowledge. Please disregard my earlier comments.

Fundy/Knowledge is a strange combination indeed. It doesn't have any net negatives, but only its benefits (+1 morale, +1 efficiency) are not that impressive either.
    The only faction with which I would use those SE settings would be Sparta in the early midgame, after the Command Nexxus and before Bioenhancement centers (and the Cyborg Factory, if I think I can grab it). The extra +1 morale will bump ground troops to elite, iirc, or possibly just commando, one monolith away from elite.

Comment

Agree that 'aversion' is a misnomer (Commy)

Random Faction personalities/agendas: Great Settings!

Its hard at first to come to grips with the unpredictable combinations, but you often get quite decent AI behavior from some, or if you are lucky, all the factions. Just finished the mid-game as Spartans vs. PsiCon, Uni, Morgan, Hive, Gaia, and PKs. 5 out of 6 of them had 'pacifist' tendencies. Aki and Yang both used multiple crawlers to harvest resources. Its a tech stag game on a huge map and Aki and Yang were often ahead of my pop-boomed satellite wielding Spartans raw tech output until the late midgame (fusion).

You just don't see things like that happen with standard settings all that often, and certainly not from Yang!

On the other hand, you will get a few games wherein most of the AI have really shoddy personality/agendas, like Morgan with Agressive/Power as a preference. But more often then not the randomized factions seem to do better than in normal games. All it takes is an open mind to think of a Green Morgan or a Wealth seeking Yang.

Edit: I should add that I have my own house rules for SP: No wars of agression off-continent until gravships, and limited probe/crawler use. Aki has the jungle and uranium flats on a huge continent to herself. Yang and Morgan have quietly built as happy neighbors the entire game on another continent. Lal had the misfortune of landing on MY continent, While Zak and Deirdre have on-again/ off-again waged war against each other in a far eastern empire of two nearly interlocked mini-continents. Probably the best SP game I've had in several years, AI wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
        What do Miriam and Zak say to scold you? It's possible (but usually dumb) to run Fundy/Knowledge with most factions, and both should be happy with that.
        It's a great way to war though--especially as the Spartans. You get the the morale bonus, the efficiency--and no negatives. Add in Green and you've got a frightening war machine with Worms too, and no appreciable negatives. With Asthetic Vitrtues Spartans have +2 Police and I forget the name of the other one (Living Refinery?)that gives +2 Support, but when it's all said and done it's a great way to smack some uppity AI fool around during the midgame I've found. With the Spartans and that combination you're looking at:

Economy: 0 (Wealth and FM are no fun in war anyway)
        Efficiency: +3 (Paradigm at every base w/Creche)
        Support: +2 (Captured bases can support 4 units)
        Morale: +3 (All-elite troops basically)
        Police: +2 (No drone riots generally)
        Growth: -2 (pop-boom afterwards)
        Planet: +2 (+3 if you get your hands on Nexus)
        Probe: 0 (just hate negatives here)
        Industry: -1 (made up by support and no prototype)
        Research: 0 (you should be humming along fine)

I use it to rescue poor Diedre from whatever mess she's gotten herself into sometimes. Nice thing about it, as if I recall correctly, if you have the preference of Mirrim or Zak they'll make peace with you even though you have the one they despise too. Oftentimes it seems to me those are the two pushing her around, taking advantage of either lack of flesh-n-blood troops or her tendency to avoid military techs.

Originally posted by Frankychan
        Fundy/Knowledge? Whoa, I'd hate to be in THAT society...
        Worked out pretty well historically though, at least for the UK and US. That would be a pretty good description of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Century society that was responsible for producing the modern age, intellectually at least. Built a plethora of churches and schools and pondered extensively in the nature of Man and God and we ended up with the Enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron

The only faction with which I would use those SE settings would be Sparta in the early midgame, after the Command Nexxus and before Bioenhancement centers (and the Cyborg Factory, if I think I can grab it). The extra +1 morale will bump ground troops to elite, iirc, or possibly just commando, one monolith away from elite.
          Yep, shoulda read down this far before replying. I think it works well with the Spartans until you get the Cloning Vats when Power becomes the war philosophy of choice.

Comment

I loved some of the strategies and comments you've all mentioned and last night i finished a game (again as Morgan) where things were absolutly amazing until i let my gov's take over. I was on HUGE map setting, with rare native life and when the game started i had an entire giant island too myself, with several monoliths and an abundency of resource bonus's and pods. It soon became nicknamed Morgan Island when i was saving and i expanded so that i had every border of my island covered in base square then i was able to work inward. I managed my formers till the more complex commands were opened up, which i don't have great experience with so i handed them over to automation but i held onto a few for specific purposes. Midgame i was ontop of every secret project no one was ahead of me so naturally everyone hated me. Deirdre as you can imagine was the worst by far. But throughout the game the island was completely under my domain. 30 ECM Chaos Dragons patroling between every border city, it was impossible to land without being blasted into the next universe. Because the map was so huge i was relativly left alone although everyone hated me except Lal but he was just using me. Finally Miriam dared to obtain one of the small islands littered around my own. Enraged and just having had a Fusion Planet Buster handed to me on a silver platter by the governer from the city nearest to her new stronghold i found the temptation impossible to resist. I lost my seat as governer on the council and had serious sea warfare with the other factions.

I know i just went totally off-topic, no what i was going to say was, the other factions often urge us to switch to their SE prefs. and it should certainly be an option to persuade them to do the same. Perhaps this could be written into the civ4 remake. Although i'm sure everyone has little suggestions like this. When we get round to AC2 on the civ4 engine we really need to open up ALOT more commlink options. Can you imagine, having Deirdre who is now your slave after a huge war forced to switch to Freemarket and Wealth SE prefs? With no choice. It would be BRILLIANT. You could turn every faction through various tactics into following your own ideology. I've actually decided to start work on my first own faction design. And as i'm a writer as well i'm going to do a backstory for it. Its going to be a splintercell of Yang's faction although i need to refine what its going to stand for as its not fully realised yet.
            There is always a beginning...

Comment

Working...
            X