Fungboy Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fungboy Problem

Anyone having problems loading the Fungboy faction? I used to be able to do it, but no longer. I’ve uninstalled and then reinstalled SMAC and Cfire on two PC’s (one Intel and the other AMD CPU) and in Cha Dawn is eliminated in the first turn.
    I do install the respective patches, smacp4e.exe once SMAC is installed; and smacxpv2a.exe right after Cfire is installed in the same directory as SMAC. On the AMD PC I do correct the “ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1 “line in the config file. But, aside that I make no changes anywhere else. No map changes and no faction changes. I also have DirectX 9.0b in place.
    Regardless, the game plays OK on either PC but if I activate the editor (CNTR+K) and look around for Fungboy it is gone. No landing site, and if I try and convene the council it comes up as having been eliminated. I try to restore via the scenario editor w/ no luck. I can eliminate factions with the scenario editor but any attempt to restore a deleted faction gets no where. They never re-appear.
    Only Fungboy has this problem, all the others are OK.
    As to OS, I use 98se on both PC's and have played both SMAC and CFire since they came out.

What year are you in? Isn't there some storyline things where the AI cult shows up "in the fungus" a few years later. (sorta like the aliens landing)

My advice is play 10 yeas and THEN activate the scenario editor to find him. If he's still not there , you have a problem I have never seen before
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
      What year are you in? Isn't there some storyline things where the AI cult shows up "in the fungus" a few years later. (sorta like the aliens landing)

My advice is play 10 yeas and THEN activate the scenario editor to find him. If he's still not there , you have a problem I have never seen before
      Your right, he shows up a bit later
      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

If played by the AI, Cha Dawn shows up circa MY 2106. The same is true if he is played by a human, with one difference. In that case, all factions begin in the same year. In other words, if you play as the Cult, the AI factions don't get a "head start" on you.
        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
        -- Kosh

Comment

K'slap -- noise of palm hitting forehead. I, too, recall something like that in some games. I'll give it a try since all I had done so far was play a few turns until the "squids" dropped in. What was throwing me was that the Fungboy cult was shown on the council screen as eliminated in the first turn. Sounded sorta final to me.

Semi-related to this; has anybody had any luck in restoring a faction via the scenario editor? I can easily blow one away, but "restore" does nothing for at least a couple of turns. Is there a waiting period for an eliminated faction to come back? Or, is there some keystroke after telling the game to restore faction XXX that I am missing? I do not play with the option that forbids the return of a captured faction leader. So, I don't think it is that.

Comment

Is it true that in SMAX there was a probe team operation (which could only be carried out on the enemy HQ) called "liberate faction leader"?

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Trotsky
              there was
              There still is one. Though IIRC only if you select that factions leaders can't fly away in escape pods when eliminated.
              Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
              Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

There is also an option when setting up a game:
                "Do or Die: do not restart eliminated players"
                If you do not check it, AI is often restarted when there is a place on a map, the game can place a colony pod
                Mart
                Map creation contest
                WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Does anyone know the year in which that ends? In a recent TCP/IP with my comrades we kept eliminating a player and it just reappeared, and I know that in the late game there is no faction restart at all.

Comment

Does anyone know the year in which that ends? In a recent TCP/IP with my comrades we kept eliminating a player and it just reappeared, and I know that in the late game there is no faction restart at all.
                    I think that factions will regenerate within the first 100 turns, but not thereafter. Could be wrong, though.
                    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                    -- Kosh

Comment

probe

Leon, yes, there is an option to free a faction leader. (S)he escapes to a tile on some unclaimed land, usually a small island by then. (S)he'll have 3 or 5 of his best unmodified units, but maybe just his sentinel type, I cannot remember. And (s)he immediately becomes a Pact Brother to you. The faction will have about 5 to 7 colony pods, most go to immediately making a base leaving about 2 to roam and make a couple new bases. When I found out about this, I was stoked!

Comment

Good... is the Pact mate submissive in the same fashion as surrendered ones (that is, shall not betray)? Also, would that work on humans?

Comment

I've never played PBEM or any MP games, and I'd imagine I might get stomped, especially by Leon. If you freed the once human player, I'd imagine the game might just make it another computer controlled opponent. Someone could scenario this.

Comment

It might be possible to turn an AI into a human player (tinkering with the savegame with a hex editor, or by the hands of a CMN armed with the scenario editor). If so, rescuing eliminated players would be practicable.

Originally posted by Darrell01
                            I've never played PBEM or any MP games, and I'd imagine I might get stomped, especially by Leon.
                            Look what a handful of replies can accomplish... know that though I have been quite active in these forums lately, I am of the worse players here at Apolyton. Never won a game, ever.

Comment

Look what a handful of replies can accomplish... know that though I have been quite active in these forums lately, I am of the worse players here at Apolyton. Never won a game, ever.
                              Hmm thats probably because I don't recall you being that active in the earlier days when there were lots of games-- many with weak players. Now most games have some seasoned vets and winning can be tough.

I know we are in one game together but from your posts, I take it that the mindworms have not been kind to you
                              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                              X