How many unit types you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flubber

OH and MM, have you ever played the vets map over at CGN? Everyone gets and identical landmass in one of the 4 corners which is quite large and then there is an empty symmetrical landmass in the middle. All land is at least 8 tiles from the nearest other landmass ( unless you do like I did and raise land to join them)-- No pods-- there is not much value to exploration but building is a key and tactics/strategy play a large part as well since that central continent is the only sensible place for anyone to grow
    Yeah, I think we both were actually in the same game here in 'Poly (FAMH) that was on that map. Of course, like every one of my PBEMs, that game was never finished.

Comment

What happened to FAMH??

In my early games, we finished every one and I was very proactive--if a game sat for a week we always knew why and we got replacements pretty quick when people disappeared.

Later when playing more games I used to just lose track and just play turns as they came in. I actually got frustrated when I would be in a dozen games and see no turns for a week or more
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

What happened to FAMH??

In my early games, we finished every one and I was very proactive--if a game sat for a week we always knew why and we got replacements pretty quick when people disappeared.

Later when playing more games I used to just lose track and just play turns as they came in. I actually got frustrated when I would be in a dozen games and see no turns for a week or more
        I think it was abandoned when Archaic was gone for a while. IIRC, we might have reached the 2120's or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Minute Mirage

I think it was abandoned when Archaic was gone for a while. IIRC, we might have reached the 2120's or so.
          I vaguely recall a game of that name-- was "H" Hercules?

If we onlyu played a few years it is no suprise I wouldn't recall much.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I vaguely recall a game of that name-- was "H" Hercules?

If we onlyu played a few years it is no suprise I wouldn't recall much.
            Yeah, H was Hercules. Because we didn't get so far, my inevitable victory might not have been as evident for you this time.

Comment

Yeah, H was Hercules. Because we didn't get so far, my inevitable victory might not have been as evident for you this time.
              Awful cocky for someone that never won a PBEM

Comment

Awful cocky for someone that never won a PBEM
                And never even even got close to finishing one (so far)...

Comment

That still amazes me. All my early games finished, largely because turn erates were fast and I personally was keen. If a turn lagged for two days there would be posts inquiring where it was. If someone was gone for 10 days without explanation, they were likely to find themselves replaced !!

On the upside, you are UNDEFEATED-- andyou should consider our game a win for you-- It was very unlikely I could have come back

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
                    No terraforming -> few minerals -> few units supported -> fewer defenders. If you can defend the terrain as well, I'd better attack somewhere else first.
                    Except that all my units in the base would be clean, in which case, a siege would be slightly more difficult...not impossible though, and the cost of them would probably mean I'd have less units to begin with...

I haven't actually played a game long enough to see the dissociative wave in action, but I imagine it greatly complicates things, as a gravship with blink displacer and "the wave" would be rather invincible when attacking bases...add on the fact that SMAX has string disruptors, and the combat odds, even with the default base defense, would still be 2 to 1...

Comment

Among blink displacers, string disruptors, psi gates, and other good stuff, late-game defense is extremely hard. This only matters if two players make it to the late game, though.
                      "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                      -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
                        Among blink displacers, string disruptors, psi gates, and other good stuff, late-game defense is extremely hard.
                        Totally agree-- Orbital insertions is the other one that it is hard to defend against if you have a large empire although the 50% penalty for attacks on the same turn with the dropped unit blunts this somewhat.

The key to me is at this stage of the game you want to be bigger and badder than your opponent, keeping them on the defensive worrying about what YOU can do offensively. At this stage, other factions are either confirmed friends or enemies so there is little point in pretending otherwise and some warfare is pretty much continuous.

I only had 1 PBEM where all the HUMANS stayed at peace for the whole game. The 4 humans allied into two two faction blocs and I absorbed all 3 AI and thereby controlled most of the map. I was suprised but the OTHER two humans NEVER attempted an attack on me. I wondered if they tried to get my pactmate for life to turn on me, but that wouldn't have made sense since said pactmate was not a candidate to win solo. I ended up transcending without having fired a shot at the humans IIRC . I believe that was the only time that happened and probably occurred because the faction placements had two humans in the deep south, the 3 AI across the centre of the map and two humans in the NORTH

Comment

Working...
                        X