How many unit types you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many unit types you use?

Do you have many different unit types or do you have only few of them? This is what I most often use:
    -infantry with max weapon, max armour and max reactor, ECM, AAA
    -infantry with laser (2), max armour and max reactor, ECM, AAA

Depending on where base is situated I use combination of these units for garrison. If base is under no threat of attack I only keep secon type. If there is some chance of attack (on coast...) 1 first type, rest second type. If there is realsitic chance of attack all first type. That way you get good defence relatively cheap, and if you have first type you can attack any enemy units that come close and with laser unit you can finish any weakened unit

-infantry with hand held (1),max armour, max reactor, AAA, trance. Used only on sea bases.

-rover/hovertank, max armour, max reactor, marine, AAA. Offensive unit.

-choppers, deep radar, clean. Don't use planes often, prefer choppers. I use them to destroy units in bases, then occupy with ground units. Choppers are better for this than planes.

-transports with carrier capability. Load with 1/2 choppers, 1/2 tanks. Perfect for capturing bases. You get multiple shots and simply unload tank in base you captured and move transport on.

-ships with AAA and marine detachment.

And that's about it. Few units and about every task can be done with them.
    Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

former-1-1
    former-1-1, clean
    crawler-1-1
    crawler-1-2*2
    probe-1-2
    probe-1-1
    probe-1-foil
    Early on, 1-1-1 and 1-1-2
    1e-1-2 when the worms come knocking
    1p-1-1, clean, if I can use police
    1-best-2 with appropriate specials in small numbers if I need them before MMI
    1-best-1*best AAA or 1^-best-1*best AAA as needed
    transport-3t-foil for pod popping
    1^-1-1, trained as something that can be anywhere and anything when needed, for an infusion of ECs
    best~-1-1 if attacks from the sea look promising
    4-1-needlejet for two-row destruction of noncombat units, obstruction of ZoC, and other uses
    best-1-chopper*best
    mind worms
    locusts of chiron, should the game last so long
    crawler^-best-best*1, clean, rushed by pods and cashed for projects
    (best)-1-1 SAM against native life
    And other units situationally
    "Cutlery confused Stalin"
    -BBC news

Comment

Most of what Chaos uses -- IN fact I think I use everything on the list that chaos uses plus probe cruisers and unarmored drop police (Great when establishing bases in empty areas away from any real fighting) and drop probes (avoid bribing of newly captured bases if you don't have the HSA)

But aktarian

1. I almost never use the best-best combo you cite. I will much more frequently build 2 units and have a 1-best and a best-1. IMHO, the problem with best-best is that unless you have a tech advantage, this unit will die or be badly damaged the very first time its attacked outside a base. The two unit combo can make a stack with all the plusses and minuses that brings

2. I almost never combine ECM and AA-- Frankly by the time AA is coming around, I expect to be killing most ground troops , not defending against their attacks, plus I like the police, drop or clean abilities to fill the second slot.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

My list of units...

Garrison--always an infantry unit with weapon value of 1 (maybe 2 or higher in late game). Special abilities in early game are hypnotic trance, later in the game AA tracking and clean reactor...

1-best-1 with clean reactor and AA tracking

--

Offensive--always a fast unit (rover, later hovertank) with no armor but best weapon...usually given blink displacer and clean reactor...

best-1-best with clean reactor and blink displacer

--

Air unit--highest weapon, no armor, with clean reactor...combination of interceptors and bombers, bombers having deep radar...

--

I don't use artillery or naval units unless I need a transport...probe foils are used, but only if necessary...

Comment

Putting clean reactors on offensive units (particularly ones with no armor) is terribly wasteful. Just how long do you expect those units to last in combat? Not long enough to pay for the extra cost of the clean ability, and the lost opportunity to add another special. If those units aren't attacking, why not? Don't build a large offensive army unless you intend to use it. Shells, probes, and defensive units, plus a few offensive units, should be enough to handle surprise attacks.
          -BBC news

Comment

I also like to use:

^1-best-2 AAA or ^1-best-3 AAA if available.

These units make for rapid conquests when you decide to chop n' drop. Especially useful, if your opponent has taken the trouble to AC equip its bases.

Formers that move 2 spaces per turn. Yes, they may be more expensive, but it's nice to have them move onto a non-roaded square and start work on the same turn. Using them to make your roads can be helpful.

Cruiser trawlers. More expensive than crawler foils, but the laziness factor in me likes to see them get to where they are supposed to go faster. I do not like doing the crawler/trawler shuffle to ensure all of them are working every turn. Plus, for what it's worth (free), I'll put long range radar on the crawlers.

For that matter, once I get into the phase of the game where I am building a large (30+) tidal energy farm for my SSC, I tend to have the sea formers work on their own, not gang forming. It is less efficient than having 4 formers working together on the same square, but it requires much, much work on my part.

I also may make a couple of locusts (at great expense) to help me occupy far flung base (especially, the sea ones that you can't drop into). It would help if some facility (like the bio lab, centuri garden, etc.) made the cost of making native life forms less expensive.

Mead

Comment

Originally posted by Mead
              Formers that move 2 spaces per turn. Yes, they may be more expensive, but it's nice to have them move onto a non-roaded square and start work on the same turn. Using them to make your roads can be helpful.
              Mead
              If I remeber right, infantry formers cost 20 minerals, and speeder formers cost 40 minerals. If my numbers are right, I'd much rather in effect have 1 former that moves half as fast but can terraform twice as fast over move twice as fast but terraform at half speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
                Putting clean reactors on offensive units (particularly ones with no armor) is terribly wasteful. Just how long do you expect those units to last in combat? Not long enough to pay for the extra cost of the clean ability, and the lost opportunity to add another special. If those units aren't attacking, why not? Don't build a large offensive army unless you intend to use it. Shells, probes, and defensive units, plus a few offensive units, should be enough to handle surprise attacks.
                I agree-- clean is for garrisons and formers. Offensive units are there to die and I would much rather have some other abilities on there. Since I put drop on almost everything thats going along on an offensive, its handy to be able to use the second slot for something other than clean
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by dmm1285

If I remeber right, infantry formers cost 20 minerals, and speeder formers cost 40 minerals. If my numbers are right, I'd much rather in effect have 1 former that moves half as fast but can terraform twice as fast over move twice as fast but terraform at half speed.
                  And clean formers cost 30 minerals. If ever there was anything to make clean, it's these guys. I upgrade all my land formers to clean ASAP because it's so cheap, can instantly boost base productivity by 10% or so and pays for itself very quickly.

My favourite field units are my elite infantry marine special forces - my most enhancement-filled base (next to a monolith, of course) is almost entirely devoted to them.
                  2x best-1-1 with soporific gas if available
                  1x best-best-1 with AAA
                  1x probe team
                  on an armoured cruiser packs an awesome punch for such a compact little group and is fantastic for quickly taking a beachhead base in Market before the people can even get unhappy about it. And the best-best guy means you can defend it a little better until the regulars can arrive. This little group can also take a whole string of seabases with barely a loss, if that's your thing.

Also the 1-1-1 trained scout who gets rush-built in every newly-conquered base and then upgraded as needed with a free morale upgrade.

I like my Hypnocops as well: 1-1-1 trance/police
                  Though I suspect it would often be better value to split them into two clean units

I'm a big fan of the AEGIS Cruiser: 6(or best)-1-6 SAM as a nice flexible naval unit for cleaning up irksome penetrators and general naval duties. I often make clean ones and leave one in my seabases.

Armoured infantry transports are great too, especially early. Stick a best-1-1 infantry in it and it saves you from bringing along defenders as well as driving him right up to their door so he can attack straight away. The other cool thing is that you can park on rocky and still attack.

Comment

The one unit that's even better to make clean than the former is the police scout. Clean costs just as much more as it does for formers, but the cost to upgrade is less (20 ECs instead of 30), and the unit is even less likely to die. Formers are appealing targets for air raids, but police scouts only die when bases are conquered.

That said, I'm a fan of gigantic clean former armies. Police aren't useful in such large numbers.
                    -BBC news

Comment

Don't forget your nerve gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
                        This is very untrue...it seems as if all your offensive units are suicidal...in a war, I rarely lose units, rarely...

I build lots of interceptors (which can still be used effectively as bombers since weapons are 2x better than armor) for defense against bombers...that means the only problem then is land units...

Unless the enemy has hovertanks, they can't reach any of my bases, since usually my bases are 3 or 4 squares from any borders (loose base spacing)...

If they move units within 2 or 3 squares within my base, they are dead...speeders and tanks will attack one or two units, then move back into the base, I NEVER leave units in the field unless I know they are safe from land attack and I have interceptors to cover them...

My point in warfare is not to loose any units...by doing so, I can have one third of the army as someone attacking me, and still win...also, if I don't loose units, if I decide to do wealth and eudaimonia, any morale gained by units is retained as long as the unit isn't destroyed...effectively, I can have -4 morale but still have plenty of elite units floating around...I'll have to upgrade them, and they won't be hovertanks or grav ships, but since they have clean reactor, it doesn't matter, no point in getting rid of them...

In fact, I am almost finished with the PKs on the Map of Planet...I hold the Sunny Mesa, the river system by it, and some territory in the north of that...

The Believers are to the south of me in the Monsoon Jungle...I have around 20 offensive land units (which is pretty large for me), and the Believers started the war with IIRC around 120 combat land units...I just checked on my infiltrator, and it appears they now only have 56...I have only lost two units in the war, both interceptors...

Comment

If you can win a war without losing units, your opponent was at your mercy long ago. Don't expect to have much success with this against competent opponents.

My offensive units are not suicidal, but they are expendable. The difference is that my opponent may take out any particular unit I attack with, but hopefully cannot take out enough. I'd much rather have 50% more units than not pay support on them over their relatively short average lifetimes.

Clean is even more wasteful if you upgrade units. A clean unit costs just as much to upgrade from as a non-clean unit, but a clean unit costs quite a bit more to upgrade to than a non-clean unit, all else equal. If you produce a clean deathsphere that costs 100 minerals, plus 50 for being clean (100+X energy, plus 50 for being clean, if you upgrade to this), and you upgrade it 20 turns later, you only saved 20 minerals over 20 turns by paying 50 up front. Bad deal.
                          -BBC news

Comment

Again I agree with Chaos Theory here.

Commy, If you never or rarely lose units, you are waiting too long to attack or have built such a superiority that the game is over anyway.

Commy, I would listen to Chaos here if I were you. It seems that your tactics assume idiocy on the part of your opponent (which is not a bad assumption against the AI). Against a competent opponent, all those super expensive clean units will die before they pay out.

Some examples:

SAM rover can kill any unarmoured plane with ease
                            SAM or non SAM arty can cause major damage
                            self-destructing will decimate your stacks if you make them too large

Lets put it this way . . . If I were fighting you,I would LOVE to see all those clean units coming at me. Even if I lose a unit for every one I kill, I still win the battle of the minerals. Assumign similar industrial capacities, you lose . . . PERIOD.

Comment

not very many, and I try to keep my units pruned so I don't have useless designs in them.

I mainly use rovers with the best offensive weapon, no defense. And infantry with the best offense and best defense (yeah I know that's expensive, but I like them). Actually I don't use infantry as much until I get drop pods. Then I really love them.

I use needlejets with the best offensive weapon, ditto for interceptors. And I use choppers with the best offensive weapon.

Naval units I use best offensive and defense. This is a waste I know, but old habits die hard. Because even with the best defense, I often die when attacked. I only use cruisers, but use foils if I haven't discovered cruisers yet. I rarely use transport.

And then the usual non combat units. sea formers, formers, probe teams, cruiser probe teams, crawlers.

Comment

Working...
                              X