No announcement yet.

What should SMAC2 concentrate on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gameplay of course, but I agree with Illuminatus - all those SMAC 2 threads make me feel very angry that the sequel doesn't exist.

That's why I hate Civs 3+ so much...

Comment

How about AI as an option? I know that AI for games this complex is tough to program, but even so the current AI absolutely sucks.

Realism! I want to start in Mission Year 41,000,001. Seven colony pods crash into the ground carrying the bodies of frozen, lifeless colonists. The impact of the crash leaves seven tiny scars on the surface of Chiron and causes the extinction of the human race.
      Actually, a trip to Alpha Centauri A is probably closer than you think. Certainly less than 40,997,996 years away, so I don't think that would be very realistic at all.
      Who exactly lives in the United Nations? If you are a hobo and you sleep in front of the U.N. building, does that count?

Comment

In a Discover Magazine about a year ago, there was an article on a Spaceship that would travel to star systems...it gave time scales for different distances...Alpha Centauri was one of them, and if I remember correctly, using some type of antimatter fuel, the mission trip would have taken about 40 years...not much different than the timescale on SMAC...

Comment

We don't even have fusion yet, let alone antimatter.
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I think one aspect of SMAC which is often overlooked is the storyline .. I really enjoyed the fact that over time the planet slowly assimilates the humans, despite the fact the humans attempt to assimilate the planet to start with. I love the playful way it uses philosophy and futurist science.. I have to say, no other game as ever made me stop and question my own thoughts on issues.

So for me, Smac 2 should be full of quotes from kant and co .. infact, it would be good to really investigate the different philosophies, find a convincing argument for each side, and use them throughout the story.

The story also needs to be different, although the outcome the same
            "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

I remember pondering what it would take to make a perfect society. After coming to the conclusion that it was impossible due to the subjective definition of perfection, I started thinking "what traits could be prized as perfection?"

Perfect order? All working for a greater good? Oh, that's the Hive.
              A comfortable material existance? Morgan.

It would seem that for most ideas of perfection, one of the factions fits. That's why we play this game - it actually makes you think.
              #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
              #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

Originally posted by The Viceroy
                I think one aspect of SMAC which is often overlooked is the storyline .. I really enjoyed the fact that over time the planet slowly assimilates the humans, despite the fact the humans attempt to assimilate the planet to start with. I love the playful way it uses philosophy and futurist science.. I have to say, no other game as ever made me stop and question my own thoughts on issues.

So for me, Smac 2 should be full of quotes from kant and co .. infact, it would be good to really investigate the different philosophies, find a convincing argument for each side, and use them throughout the story.

The story also needs to be different, although the outcome the same
                Yea the story is pretty cool I guess, but I never payed any attention to it honestly other than reading that other people were way into it here. I enjoyed the complex game mechanics, the asymetric factions and the dark mood and feel of the game as I played it. Design Workshop and Social Engineering were truly wonderful additions.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I remember that at first I was completely confused both by workshop and by the tech tree. After Civ and so many other games I expected that the tech for cars will be called "Wheel" or "Cars", not "Doctrine: Mobility"...

Comment

I remember that at first I was completely confused both by workshop and by the tech tree. After Civ and so many other games I expected that the tech for cars will be called "Wheel" or "Cars", not "Doctrine: Mobility"...
                    And that is one of the reasons you become so amazed with this game, isn't it?
                    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

graphics and gameplay.

I'm not asking much for graphics, just make it better looking than SMAC 1 please. But really gameplay is #1.

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin

And that is one of the reasons you become so amazed with this game, isn't it?
                        Something along those lines, binTravkin.

My first thought:

Wow, it's amazing!

My second thought:

It'll take me months to understand it!

Since SMAC I wait to see more complex game. Why Civ3 and MOO3 had to disappoint me so much?

Comment

Because people like us (AC-G/H/S regulars being the major such group I know of) are much smaller than the general gaming populace. Hence there's not enough money in making these complicated games that are worth playing so much more than some new CS-Clone.
                          #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
                          #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

SMAC2 should concentrate on my ideas, 'coz I'm a freakin' genius. Everybody sez so.
                            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Something along those lines, binTravkin.
                              Have heard people saying "WTF, why isn't this tech called motorised movement, wheel, rovers or something".

Exactly because of that so you straightforward thinking people have something to ask for and wrap your minds around.

I've actually been thinking why Advanced Seamanship (or call it as you wish) is called Initiative.
                              I could understand why Mobility and why Flexibility, but couldn't get on the Initative.
                              During my SMACXing years I've understood, that it's actually pretty try that advanced seagoing ways have something to do with initiative as at the sea usually it's decided who spots enemy first and who strikes first.

It's true at land and air as well of course, but to a bit lesser extent.

And loyalty is by all means bound to Psych and Mobility, psych making up the theoretical base for your people's loyalty and mobility making up the practical (noone will be loyal if they know you won't get to them in any soon time).
                              -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                              -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Working...
                              X