No announcement yet.

why land based transports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, Leon comes up with a good one. Stick carrier airbase on those bad boys. And if you have magtubes, all you really need is one.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Trotsky
      He's got a point, though. By isolating your perimeter bases from the outside, linking them to your core via magtubes, and using land transpots to give your attackers an extra movement point, you would have better chances of intercepting incoming land units. Could be useful on huge maps, where even needlejets take several turns to arrive to the front line.
      If you have magtubes, the instances where the land transport will help that much will be rare. Instead you just use a few formers to insta-magtube your route. By the time I have magtubes I usually have formers looking for stuff to do anyway so its not that hard to spare a dozen or two
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Well yeah. With magtubes, transporting land units is easy. But what if you have 20 choppers, noodles, or graviton ships? You could move them from one side of a huge map to the other to attack with them that turn instead of waiting 2 or 3 turns for them to fly over there with one land transport on the magtubes ferrying them over 3 or 4 at a time. It is a very specialized case.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell01
          Well yeah. With magtubes, transporting land units is easy. But what if you have 20 choppers, noodles, or graviton ships? You could move them from one side of a huge map to the other to attack with them that turn instead of waiting 2 or 3 turns for them to fly over there with one land transport on the magtubes ferrying them over 3 or 4 at a time. It is a very specialized case.
          So now we are talking about a land transport with a carrier deck to carry air units?

I grant that I have never tried that and it might very well be effective. Pretty limited application though IMHO

Perhaps its because of the way I typically conquer. generally I try not to capture things I cannot hold (for fear of losing my tech lead)-- So I will almost always have a number of bases close to the front and in the era you are talking I could have mineral sats up such that my front line bases are rushing new air units every turn while the mag tubes transport in the land stuff.

But you can always learn something new so I might try this out
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Oh and two other reasons I probably haven't looked seriously at this

1. Most PBEMs are decided well before this era

2. Lately most of my single player games have been scenarios where creators like Darsnan may have severely weakened airpower

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
              Oh and two other reasons I probably haven't looked seriously at this....

2. Lately most of my single player games have been scenarios where creators like Darsnan may have severely weakened airpower
              Oh sure, blame the scenario maker!

Anyways, a lot of this talk about Land Transports is coming up because I posted a new SP Challenge over in the AC Demo Game forum that has a pretty functional Land Transport in it. FYI in case your interested in seeing it performing up close and personal Flubber!

D

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan

Oh sure, blame the scenario maker!

Anyways, a lot of this talk about Land Transports is coming up because I posted a new SP Challenge over in the AC Demo Game forum that has a pretty functional Land Transport in it. FYI in case your interested in seeing it performing up close and personal Flubber!

D
                ahhh anotehr scenario--- I am still trying to find time to finish the last one off

Comment

Darsnan, in the AC Demo game, how did you get the land transport to retain a speed of 2? Is it because it has attack value and you set the transport flag?

An interesting use of a land transport is to move an infantry unit from a distance of two up to a base, have the infantry unit attack the base, and then set the already moved infantry unit to sleep/board transport and move the infantry unit back to a distance of two. If the base only has infantry garrisons, this would prevent an immediate counterattack.
                  Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Originally posted by vyeh
                    Darsnan, in the AC Demo game, how did you get the land transport to retain a speed of 2? Is it because it has attack value and you set the transport flag?
                    Yes. Essentially the following is the way I set the Land Transport up in the #UNITS Section of the alpha(x).txt file:

Troop Transport Mk1, Speeder, Laser, Synthmetal, 1, 0, 1, Mobile, -1, 000000000000000000000000

Essentially the movement penalty will only come into play when the game sees that the "weapon" is a transport unit. In this case its not, so the game never activates the code that restricts land transport movement.

Want to learn more about Land Transports?

D

Comment

Inertial Dampeners.

edit; i hate replying to the first page of a topic then realizing its on page3 already
                      if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Working...
                      X