SMAX starting slots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAX starting slots

Here's something new I think. Or at least I've never seen it discussed before. Using MM's tech research spreadsheet, I've noticed that some starting slots are more advantagous than others for beelining purposes. Depending on your goal, you can save/avoid 1-2 techs on your beeline by simply starting off in the best slot.

I guess this will have some impact on PBEM's. Not only will you "compete" for which faction you want to play, but you can also vie for the best slot for your faction. On the other hand, if you are late to the game, maybe you can see which slots are still available and then select the best faction for that slot.

Comments, CMN's, anyone?

I though that spreadsheet was found to not be reliable?
    "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
    "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
    "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

It's always worked very well for me. You have to be careful, if it's a PBEM, to place a "yes" in the box for trades. Also, at the bottem left, make sure you have appropriately selected SMAC or SMAX.

Comment

Spreadsheet is very accurate indeed. It just takes couple of minutes to accustom to it (read everything before using it ) as Net Warrior pointed out. Net, could you bring up some examples?
        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Illuminatus,
          I don't want to give away all my secrets and ideas . I was looking at trying an oddball faction I usually don't play and trying an oddball beeline to a SP that I generally don't get but which would be very very good for this faction. From slot 1,2,4,5, & 7, the beeline would require 1 or 2 "extra" techs, but from slot 3 & 6 I would get the SP without getting sidetracked. This is the only example I have so far but I'm sure there are many others out there. I plan to look into this finess a lot more before starting my next PBEM.

Comment

Hmm this adds much to faction strengths and weaknesses. You've opened the Pandora's box.
            SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Yes it does, but of course there are some difficulties you encounter along the way too. For example you might go pod popping and get a tech which knocks you off course, so you might have to commit yourself to not popping pods till you reach your goal.

Comment

There are techs I would always like to get, no matter what beeline I choose. If I can't follow the beeline, I pick some of those (such as Biogenetics). If the path is long, trade would reduce advantages from being in a particular slot.
                "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                -BBC news

Comment

Agreed, the longer the route to your SP tech, the less this beeline idea will work out. In the example I was looking at, the desired tech was 5th on the beeline.

Comment

Ok, I've been looking a little and I've come up with a few real examples. The Gaians can start in slot 2 with Cent Eco and go SocPsy, Biogen, SotHB, Cent Emp, and arrive at the Empathic Guild SP. Another example, the Hive can start in slot 2 with D:Loyalty and go InfNet, SocPsy, EthCalc, PlanNet, IntInt, Cyberethics and get the Planetary Datalinks SP, and they'll never have to worry about research again.

Comment

Unless of course they kill everybody...then the Planetary Datalinks would become nil...

Comment

Working...
                      X