Possibly dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly dumb question

I've been playing a PBEM game with the Consciousness and for some reason their tech steal ability isn't working. I've tried to look up an answer everywhere as to why and can't find anything, so I figured I'd ask here. I do have the latest version of AX (2.0), so I don't think that's the problem. I do have it cracked so I don't have to put the CD in the drive every time so could that be causing the problem? I don't have spoils of war enabled in the rules, but that would mean that every faction would get tech steal if I enabled it, correct? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Bop

I'm not sure, but I think somewhere along the line the wrong Factual text file was added to the game. Essentially if you have the "cyborg.txt" file dated Sept. 15, 1999, then your Faction won't have the tech steal ability. You need the cyborg.txt file dated Nov. 16 1999. FYI.
    I've attached the correct file here for you.
    btw when did you get your SMACX disks - this might help narrow down the problem, as you probably won't be the only one asking this question.

D
    Attached Files

Comment

edit - dual post.....

Comment

The Cyborg TECHSTEAL ability didn't work in the original release of SMAX, but was fixed by the patch (version 2.0). I use the "no CD crack" and have no problems with the Cyborgs.

I don't know the details of how PBEM works, but could this problem be caused by your opponent using an unpatched version of SMAX?
        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
        -- Kosh

Comment

There is also a possibility of 2000/xp patch installed for both or not or only one installed. I dont know...

Comment

Originally posted by Petek
            The Cyborg TECHSTEAL ability didn't work in the original release of SMAX, but was fixed by the patch (version 2.0). I use the "no CD crack" and have no problems with the Cyborgs.
            The cyborg.txt file dated Sept 15th 1999 didn't have the comment "TECHSTEAL, 0" in it, which meant it didn't reference the terranx file anyways. The later Nov 16th 1999 cyborg.txt file did.

I don't know the details of how PBEM works, but could this problem be caused by your opponent using an unpatched version of SMAX?
            Depends on who set up the game. But basically I believe the issue lies in the text file, not the terranx file. FYI.

D

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan

The cyborg.txt file dated Sept 15th 1999 didn't have the comment "TECHSTEAL, 0" in it, which meant it didn't reference the terranx file anyways. The later Nov 16th 1999 cyborg.txt file did.

Depends on who set up the game. But basically I believe the issue lies in the text file, not the terranx file. FYI.

D
              We're both talking about the same problem/fix. The readme for the 2.0 patch specifically refers to fixing the TECHSTEAL problem.

After thinking about this some more, I think that TECHSTEAL worked in the original release of SMAX, but was broken by the first patch (which omitted the TECHSTEAL variable from the alphax.txt file). At that point, adding TECHSTEAL to the cyborg.txt file had no effect. Patch 2.0 corrected all such problems. This was all discussed here, but the forum archives don't go back that far.
              -- Kosh

Comment

At that point, adding TECHSTEAL to the cyborg.txt file had no effect. Patch 2.0 corrected all such problems. .
                I'm going to have to beg to differ. Essentially because the reason I immediately knew what the issue was is because I had that problem recently in a PBEM I set up. Essentially Rubin was playing Cyborgs, and he didn't have the techsteal ability. I traced it down to the fact that the cyborg.txt file in my SMACX PBEM subdirectory didn't have the techsteal option in it. I verified this by playing the Cyborgs in an SP, and they did not have the ability. When I replaced the cyborg.txt file with the later version, they then once again had the ability. FYI.

D

Comment

You are correct that NOW the TECHSTEAL option in cyborg.txt has the desired effect. I was trying to say in my last post that, after the first SMAX patch but before the second one, this was not the case. The first patch inadvertently removed the TECHSTEAL variable from alphax.txt. At THAT point, adding TECHSTEAL to cyborg.txt had no effect. The 2.0 patch restored the missing variable to alphax.txt.

My point is to keep this "history" in current posts, since the old files where this was discussed have been deleted.

See the 1/18/2000 post from Jeffrey Morris of Firaxis here:

-- Kosh

Comment

what does the cyborg techsteal option do? I can't remember.

I never cared for them because of their growth rating, but maybe I should give them another shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                      what does the cyborg techsteal option do? I can't remember.
                      They get to steal one unknown tech each time they conquer a base.

D

Comment

Thanks guys. I did have the Sept 15 cyborg.txt, so I replaced it. Since I have you all here, I also had a question about Domai. To the best of my knowledge, I've never had a rioting base go to his faction. Does a base have to riot for several turns to go to the drone faction, or is there a possibility on the first riot? Is there possibly something wrong there as well? I know the patch notes say both these problems were fixed with the 2.0 patch, but now I'm curious. Frankly, I'm not sure if I want to fix it because if there is a chance on the first riot, I don't want to have to check every base for growth every turn and adjust the psych accordingly since that seems more annoying than fun. But like I said, I am curious.

Thanks again for the txt file.

Comment

I believe it can go to the drones on the first turn of rioting. I'm pretty sure that happened to me once.

Though when I play the drones, I never get any cities ceded to me because of rioting.

Comment

Originally posted by DiBiddilyBop
                            Since I have you all here, I also had a question about Domai. To the best of my knowledge, I've never had a rioting base go to his faction. Does a base have to riot for several turns to go to the drone faction, or is there a possibility on the first riot?
                            Darned good question. I've only seen it a couple of times. Essentially I think the game in SP is weighted against the human player, and so you will never see this. However in MP I know its an accepted rule now that you cannot induce a desired base into defecting to another Faction, as you can then just probe rape the heck out of it.
                            The drones.txt file should also be labeled November 16 1999. FYI in case you've got something different.

D

Comment

Looks like my drones.txt is September 15. I'm wondering if for some reason I have the AX 2.0 patch downloaded but not installed since I seem to have the 2.0 readme, but things that were supposed to be fixed with that patch don't seem to be there. Hmmm...

I just kinda fear doing any updates or anything in case I have to reinstall and we all know what a pain in the butt that is. Not sure I remember how to fix everything to get it to work on XP again.

Comment

Working...
                              X