Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAM land units

Hi guys!

Don't laugh at me, but I seem to not know how do SAM land units work as air defense.

Do their intercept/scramble or something like that?

I was thinking they don't, but some player seems to have used them against an air attack (not mine - my pactmates) in PBEM..
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

SAM land -and sea units don't scramble when being attacked by choppers or noodles. That's were AAA is for. Instead, those units equipped with it can attack any airborn unit, and have better chances of taking out a tactical noodle in my experience.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Strange - I was seeing as an unexplored square opened with <6>-1-2 unit within it..
      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

After the Aircraft attacks it ends it's turn at the point it attacked. If the SAM unit then attacks in its turn, you have a pretty much guaranteed kill as they attack the air units defense. Note however that SAM units are typically more expensive than the air units they are attacking, so they must be protected, i.e. AAA units or Aerospace Centers (to double defense) or better yet a combination.
        The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
        And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
        Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
        Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
          Strange - I was seeing as an unexplored square opened with <6>-1-2 unit within it..
          I don't get what you mean here. Do you mean that an enemy SAM rover attacked from 2 squares away, and that it showed itself only when it was attacking?
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I've never made one, but I just pulled out an old game. You can make a SAM artillery unit, and attack aircraft from two squares away. I don't know why, the units are cursedly expensive. However, you can make them.
            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnmmcc
              I've never made one, but I just pulled out an old game. You can make a SAM artillery unit, and attack aircraft from two squares away. I don't know why, the units are cursedly expensive. However, you can make them.

They are great if you are polluting for damaging locusts. Usually one good SAM arty blast and then you can mop up the rest with an empath SAM unit or two. I will usually buils a couple of these SAM arty if I am polluting and harvesting pearls. They actually allow you to easily kill native life even if you are running a bad planet rating
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Oh ya and ALL aircraft are dead meat against SAM land units. You can armor your aircraft but all that means is you have a more expensive dead aircraft and the SAM unit is damaged a little more.

I advise best-1-2 for sam land units so they can run out and kill and aircraft and then duck back in the base . Let your AA units sensor and aerocomplex combine to defend against the air attacks.

I have mixed feelings about air interceptors. If at tech parity you are better letting AA+aerocomplex defend the base. The main use for air interceptors is they can scramble to prevent a cheapo air unit from plinking your crawler field and they can be handy to cover some ground troops in the open.

With a tech advantage, I like air interceptors much more but they remain very vulnerable to SAM land units

I've said it many times, there is no unit out there that defends well outside a base against tech parity. Attack is where its at.

Think about ships-- My 4-1-4 crushes a defending similar ship and against a 1-3-4, the arty duel makes the armor irrelevant. So to defend even "ok" you need a more expensive 4-3-4 which will still lose to direct attack or you need to accept that you will lose some ships and win by building more and being the attacker more often
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Also worth noting, SAM ground units do NOT get 2x weapons vs air units. The 2x weapons bonus only holds true for SAM air to air combat. So, to make cheap SAM ground units, make them with laser weapons at minimum. So you see, Applied Physics is useful as more than just a prereq.

Comment

I usually make a few SAM rovers. After Fusion, they only cost one more row. This is especially good against a human who uses needlejets to block with Zone of Control or an AI who uses lots of needlejets. (Although the AI only uses them to annoy my crawlers and formers!)
                    Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet, available at The Chironian Guild:
                    http://guild.ask-klan.net.pl/eng/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                      I advise best-1-2 for sam land units so they can run out and kill and aircraft and then duck back in the base . Let your AA units sensor and aerocomplex combine to defend against the air attacks.
                      Yup! The one thing I'd improve upon this design is to make it a Drop Unit. A Drop Sam "Best Weapon" Rover is a formidable unit. It kills aircraft at will. Being a Drop unit, it can move about the battlefield to "hot spots"/ "targets of opportunity" extremely quickly. And being a Rover why it gets the attack bonus whenever it catches units in the open, and can take cities (unlike Interceptors)! The only thing it can't do is provide cover for advancing forces like an interceptor can. Otherwise, a superior unit that I almost always build as soon as I can in my games!

D

Comment

Here's a quick question. The cheapest drop AAA fusion unit cost 60 minerals and has plenty of kill power. Which drop AAA unit makes more sense, especially in operations against a human player in the Fusion Era?

8-1-2 Drop Chaos Speeder

versus

6-1-2 Drop Missle Hovertank

You are trading off roughly an extra attack versus the loss of a movement point. I would suspect if they were elites, i.e. instead of 2 versus 3 move you are at 3 versus 4 move it would make a difference. As an elite if you are fighting a prolonged campaign against a human, the extra staying power of the Speeder's Chaos Gun will let it stay in action more turns. The Drop Missle Hovertank Elite probably couldn't sustain two full turns of offensive ops against air units, so I would guess the speeder. Any thoughts?
                        Last edited by Mr. Harley; January 30, 2005, 15:23.

Comment

My main thought is that in the drop and fusion era, your opponent will be mainly using choppers anyway so my favorite anti-needlejet weapon is a simple SAM chopper. Usually impact or gatling weapons are more than enough for the job.

As between your two choices, I would say build either and then upgrade

Seriously, I must have a different mindset because I don't think I ever built a drop SAM unit more than once or twice. The time from doc air to MMI can be very very short and I found once MMI came along, you don't see that many needles to make it worthwhile to builder super sam units

Comment

Unless you're in the ACDG where choppers can't attack bases...
                            #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
                            #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

That's why there's PBs...

Comment

Working...
                              X