No announcement yet.

bad news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be nervous but not *too* worried, isnt sid still involved?

A simplified gameplay can still *possibly* be not only better, but deeper if developed right

for example, if you notice a lotf of the game play improvements in turbosmac.txt actually REMOVE certain abilities and options, and yet manage to make the game more balanced

Its possible that we might be underestimating... but maybe not

Comment

Originally posted by Xian
      I'd be nervous but not *too* worried, isnt sid still involved?
      Of course he is involved. His name is on the game, he must be involved in the design. If they were just using his name as marketing tool when he hasn't really been involved in years, that would be unethical.

Its possible that we might be underestimating... but maybe not
      Like we underestimated Civ3?
      "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
      "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
      "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
      "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

Well, I guess we could all start playing the first civ, and then 15 years later when civ 5 came out, it'd feel like it was better...

Personally, I like civ 3 the way it is, at least for the most part...but a few upgrades for present day technology, like graphics, would be good enough...

Comment

paramir, where did you find that info?
          it's in one of the stickies in the civ4 forum
          What type of idiot quotes himself
          -paramir

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
            Well, I guess we could all start playing the first civ, and then 15 years later when civ 5 came out, it'd feel like it was better...

Personally, I like civ 3 the way it is, at least for the most part...but a few upgrades for present day technology, like graphics, would be good enough...
            I like civ3 for the most part.

As I said in the other games.

If the game is as moddable as they say. They can have their cake and eat it too.

They can make the game simple enough for the general public so the game sells well. But make it so the game can be made, much more complex through mods and scripting to satisfy the hardcore gamers.

But I would think there's a limit to how much you can alter the game. The engine may not be able to handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
              But I would think there's a limit to how much you can alter the game. The engine may not be able to handle it.
              That used to be the case when everything was compiled......and all your data was in complied libraries.

Now good programming includes modular data and powerful scripting add-ons. But doing the job well takes time. Time equals money. And the game industry is more business like than ever before. The quality of the game down to if the devs are given enough time or money.

I worked for Warner Bros about 10 years ago. I heard there is a saying in the film industry that goes something like this:

"You can have a film made fast, cheap, or well. Pick any two."

This can be applied to any industry including the game industry.
              "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
              "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
              "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

And what we want is Cheap/Well, of course.
                #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
                #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

And of course the game industry wants cheap/fast.

Comment

Originally posted by livid imp

That used to be the case when everything was compiled......and all your data was in complied libraries.

Now good programming includes modular data and powerful scripting add-ons. But doing the job well takes time. Time equals money. And the game industry is more business like than ever before. The quality of the game down to if the devs are given enough time or money.

I worked for Warner Bros about 10 years ago. I heard there is a saying in the film industry that goes something like this:

"You can have a film made fast, cheap, or well. Pick any two."

This can be applied to any industry including the game industry.
                    System shock 2 refutes this entire idea

Developed in 1 year, one of the best games of all time

Comment

Originally posted by livid imp

No, actually the hardcore gamer demographic is more populous than ever. The problem is the started with the Sims a few years back. The Sims shattered sales records. People who normally never gamed (like my mother ) were playing the Sims. All those non-gamers represented an untapped profit potential. Volume really is the key to profits in business. The high-rollers might get the fancy treatment, but the real money is made down in the quarter slots. In other words, no matter how loyal the hard core fans are to a game, they don't generate the big cash.

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF PUNK ROCK.....where the fan's devotion to quality, originality, and integrity push them out of the realm of pop marketability.

You might want to go pick up an early Ramones, X, or Sex Pistols album to complete society's rejection of you.
                      You are so right.

Comment

System shock2. Recommended to all who people who don't even like RPGs and FPSs that much. Theres a russian site with it for download as abandonware if you google.

www.ttlg.com has a SS2 forum with help on how to get it running on XP.

Comment

Not entirely, it could of been expensive to produce. Unless you have evidence to the contrary?

Comment

Working...
                          X