Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many folks still playing?

High People!

I'm new to this Forum (not to some of your great advices or vel's guide) and a HUGE Smac/x fan. I've been playing for years now, with a few breaks between but continuing. I'm just wondering how many people still enjoy/play it. Are most of them CivIIIers now? (A game I actually don't like but still can't say why exactly)
    Or are we still a great communty (quantitatively)?
    I never played Online-MP (in fact, I still haven't got Internet! I'm posting from a University's PC right now!) and only very few hotseat. Can someone tell me whether you're still finding out more about this game or is most (or ALL) of the game mechanics already written here?

Answers?

Are most of them CivIIIers now? (A game I actually don't like but still can't say why exactly)
    That's the reason why most of us better play SMAC/X not Civ.

We still form a community of around 200 people, not all active and playing but showing up from time to time.

Count of regular PBEMers is ~20-30
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I'm still playing SMAC too. How could I not play the best TBS of all time?

During these last few years, I've had to reformat my HD or change it a number of times, and the first game I always - always - reinstall is SMAC.
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I play both Civ3 and SMAC/X. I find them very different games that are not along the same development line. (One is BR's take on a 'Civ 3', on is Meier's) I love both games for different reasons. I felt Civ 3 got back to basics, while SMAC/X took BR's gameplay influence to its most developed point.
        "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

We're still finding new things about SMAC/X, though only slowly now. It wasn't too long ago that one of us figured out how to predict which techs would be offered to research next. We still haven't completely figured out how combat works.
          "Cutlery confused Stalin"
          -BBC news

Comment

After installing several new(to me)patches I've been able to get SMAX work again

So, yeah, playing and playing and playing
            Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

i've been playing the game since it was released ('98 or was it '99 ??..). It still keeps me interested

Comment

I still play SMAX almost daily!!!

My Husband plays Civ III all the time. And I mean from the time he gets up on the weekends to the time he goes to bed and as soon as he gets home from work!! Thats why our computers are in the livingroom!!

Once in a while we will play a MP game of SMAX or Civ III. Our own rules - the two of us against all the other computer players. I usually will win SMAX and he wins Civ III.

Lori

Comment

Re: How many folks still playing?

Originally posted by muskelmichi
                  I'm just wondering how many people still enjoy/play it. Are most of them CivIIIers now?
                  Never played Civ3. Not really interested, either...
                  SMAC(X) is the only game I play!

Originally posted by muskelmichi

Can someone tell me whether you're still finding out more about this game or is most (or ALL) of the game mechanics already written here?
                  Even CMN's are still finding things out about the game......

D

Comment

I can echo Darsnan's comments.

I'm in the AC Democracy Game - (Now ACDGIII) - what a great idea that was when it started, as we're all learning from each other, even us "vets" who've been around since the old OWO forum days. I'm finding things out almost every turn that I hadn't known before - and I've been playing smac since we hacked the demo version in 1998 with HEXeditor to get the # demo turns up from 100 to 400!!

G.

Comment

I've been playing SMAC since last century.

Though sometimes I fall through a Dimensional Gate--

--and try other stuff, like Victoria.

But I always fall back.
                      "The first rule of Girlfight Club: No one gossips about Girlfight Club. That means you, Sheryl."
                      -----------------------------
                      Girlfight_club of Toliman has authorized a secret project, "The Planetary Datalinks": http://planetarydatalinks.hub.io

Comment

Have been playing SMAC/SMAX since 1999. Still play several times a week. Am constantly getting new ideas for ways to make the game more interesting by reading this forum.
                        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                        -- Kosh

Comment

I sit in on the ACDG and write silly batch files. But I still think of myself as a 'player'.
                          #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
                          #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

I play occasionally. I started a game the other day, but quit early when the spartans attacked me when I had my forces concentrated on another area of my empire. I lost a couple cities early in the game. So I gave up . I'm out of practice. I've forgotten how aggressive the spartans can be. I thought it'd be easier to maintain peace with them in the early game.

But I do admit I play more civ3 than smac now days.

Comment

I've been playing for a long time as well... first played it at my friend's house, and eventually bought it off of him

The absolute best $10 I ever spent
                              I once was a slave to the Alderbaran 2 project!
                              Now I shall work towards cIV:AC!... Oh Wait, that's dead too...
                              It's Nword like 'lord' and 'sword'

Comment

Working...
                              X