• Show
Clear All

Aaaarrrrgghhhh!!!! I'm killed!!!!!!!!!!
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I'm working on a mod with reduced air movepoints. You can read about it here:

Needlejets get 7 movpoints with fission, and 'copters get 6. Add in doubled cost and 100% prototyping fee and they are fairly well balanced. I also plan to enhance native life breeding to make that more of an alternative to chop & drop tactics.
      Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet, available at The Chironian Guild:
      http://guild.ask-klan.net.pl/eng/index.html

Comment

I think the problem is that movement and attack is one and the same. They should be segregated.

Ie. an attack rate should be 25% or non fixed to to the movement rate.

A chopper that moved 12 square should be only be able to attack two or three times.
        Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
        The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
        Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
        We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Originally posted by Natalinasmpf
          I think the problem is that movement and attack is one and the same. They should be segregated.
          I agree. The copters as they are, is simply a result of staying consistant with a simple system. A copter is nothing more than a hovertank with like a dozen moves and the 'flyer' flag. But perhaps the designers meant the copter to be over powered, forcing the players to adapt and build lots of SAM/AAA troops. The bigger problem is the fact that air defense costs so much more that air offense.

Originally posted by Natalinasmpf
          A chopper that moved 12 square should be only be able to attack two or three times.
          That sounds good until you realize that three attacks is about all a chopper can do. Considering that offensive to defense is about a 3 to 1 ratio. So, unless it is only attacking non-armored, or non-combat units, a chopper will get wore down after three attacks.
          Still, three attacks at range, with no ZoC problems, all from a cheap unit is a bit too much.
          "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
          "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
          "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
          "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

Interceptors are probably supposed to be the answer to copters, as they can cover a base radius worth of formers and crawlers. People don't use them much presumably because they're more expensive, are not terribly useful on offense apart from killing planes, and aren't particularly effective at defending against air. So what could be done to interceptors to make them more appealing?
            "Cutlery confused Stalin"
            -BBC news

Comment

Copters should be toned down heavily. I wouldn't even be disappointed if they were elminated entirely. They fill no purpose in the game that has the slightest grip on reality. 3 year missions? Flying around the globe? Better than fixed wing aircraft? Gimme a break.

The other thing that should be outlawed is overload - self-destruct. It breaks the already weak combat system.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I agree with Sikander - I got rid of choppers entirely from my games. The CBA is another thing I nuked right from the start.
                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I thought I had a fix with my "establishing air superiority prior to attacking with bombers" idea. I didn't get much feedback in that thread, but I still like it as a way to increase the value of interceptors while decreasing the value of bombers. http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=124941

Comment

The answer is TurboSMAC!

I know you don't like the "house rules" approach to eliminating the chopper problem, but TurboSmac is ready for beta testing now, so check it out here:

Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet, available at The Chironian Guild:
                    http://guild.ask-klan.net.pl/eng/index.html

Comment

Working...
                    X