Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technology

I'm tired of having loads of obsolete troops fighting the enemy. It takes decades to upgrade my army and by that time technology have advanced again. I'm assinging techs for every faction and no tech advances.

Can some one help me decide what each faction should get?

Comment

Why don't you try tech stag?
      Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
      The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
      Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
      We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

did that. Still, I have to build the new units, retire old ones and build transports to send them accross the map to fight mariam. since she is defending, the units fighting are at the same tech level.

Comment

Simply use the 'old' units as shock troops (cannon fodder), or even better, only start producing offensive combat units when they're needed.
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

why does upgrading take you "decades"-- save some cash and upgrade the old units to the newest tech.

Your 4-1-2 rover can become a 12-1-2- in one turn so what's the issue
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
              why does upgrading take you "decades"-- save some cash and upgrade the old units to the newest tech.

Your 4-1-2 rover can become a 12-1-2- in one turn so what's the issue
              Look, they are in allied bases. They first need to be transported to my bsese across the map to upgrade. Upgrading costs money too. I can't afford to do that because new tech comes up too quickly. 10 years after I got organic superlubercant I discovered advanced space flight. The units fighting the believers are still chaos and fusion.

Comment

You can do in the field upgrades from the design workshop.

Also, after Plasma Shards new weapon advances take a while.

Comment

You could modify the factions so that the University and Cyborgs get -4 research, the Believers and Free Drones get -6 research, and the other factions get -5 research. Then cut the research effects of Social Engineering choices in half. That ought to make research take twice as long as otherwise.
                  Known in most other places as Anon Zytose.
                  +3 Research, +2 Efficiency, -1 Growth, -2 Industry, -2 Support.
                  http://anonzytose.deviantart.com/

Comment

Give Deidre Centauri Empathy (so she can mindworm better)
                    Give Morgan Planetary Networks for probes
                    Give Miriam...Secrets of the Human brain (scouts that are now immune to probes)
                    Hive gets Industrial Base (making them even harded to conquer)
                    Santiage should have Mobility for rovers
                    Zak should get applied physics because he's a genius. As for Lal...I'm not sure. Maybe just Ethical Calculus so he could do a rapid expansion strategy and have tons of bases making stuff.

I'm not sure thats an interesting question.

Comment

You can upgrade your units anywhere, even in the open, if they have all their moves.

Modifying SE research ratings is not the way to go, since research is capped beneath at -5, and -1, 0, and +1 are all significantly different in the early game for a variety of reasons. If you want slower tech, edit alphax.txt.

Having no tech advances is no way to play a normal game. That's only suitable for a scenario.
                      "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                      -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by grobnok

Look, they are in allied bases. They first need to be transported to my bsese across the map to upgrade. Upgrading costs money too. I can't afford to do that because new tech comes up too quickly. 10 years after I got organic superlubercant I discovered advanced space flight. The units fighting the believers are still chaos and fusion.

Wrong

See responses by chaos and whoha.

Its simple--design your new unit and then

1. click on a unit and upgrade it individually-- this uses a units turn OR
                        2. go back into the design workshop and find your obsolete unit type and click upgrade-- this does the whole group and does not use up a turn--this can be expensive

In either case you get the list of "better" units you can create. Note that you need to prototype the improved units. Upgrading to a unit you have not built is theoretucally possible but the upgrade costs are just insane
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Remember one thing when upgrading - you need to upgrade both attack and defense to the at least the same level. If you have a 2-2-2 laser rover, you cannot upgrade it to a 4-1-2 impact rover, you MUST create a 4-2-2 unit. This can be a pain if you have made maximum value units using Materials pods, some of them can be quite expensive to upgrade. I'll often just skip upgrading those units, you usually only have a few.
                          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

No money to upgrade?

If you're researching tech that fast, then why don't you divert LABS to ECON where its needed?

Look, they are in allied bases. They first need to be transported to my bsese across the map to upgrade

They don't. Click on them. Upgrade. Voila. Just don't move them, or you'll have to skip their entire turn.

Upgrading to a unit you have not built is theoretucally possible but the upgrade costs are just insane

I had to do that ASAP with Silksteel once, when Santiago was rover rushing me like heck with her Missile Rovers. Being Morgan, well, I had 7000 credits, what can I say.

Remember one thing when upgrading - you need to upgrade both attack and defense to the at least the same level.

Not necessarily....my armored infantry was upgraded to non-armoured infantry, but with superior weaponry.

And the whole fun is managing your long supply line. Theoretically, if you were playing a human player, he or she is supposed to take advantage of the far distance. That is tactics. Then he or she can ambush your upgraded troops on the way, or...
                            Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
                            The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
                            Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
                            We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Originally posted by Natalinasmpf
                              No money to upgrade?

If you're researching tech that fast, then why don't you divert LABS to ECON where its needed?
                              It's possible to find yourself in this situation in spite of having over 17000 creds saved up. All it takes is a poorly timed energy market crash.

Comment

Working...
                              X