Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what is the police unit given by Self-Aware Colony like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what is the police unit given by Self-Aware Colony like?

Generally, is it a normal military unit for police?

Is it a police unit with non-lethal methods?

If it has non-lethal methods, or if it doesn't - what about the +3 Police, "Police Effect Doubled"? Does that count?
    Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
    The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
    Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
    We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

There is no real unit, just an effect like there was one.

Try imagining it as a 0-0-0 unit with clean ability and still having the property of "military unit" thus giving police bonus!

It gives you -1 drone if your police rating is <3 and -2 drones if Police = 3
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Are you sure of that?
      When I build the Self-Aware Colony, I get an extra drone, instead of one less.
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Was your police rating negative then?
        Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
        The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
        Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
        We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

hmm, my game gives me -1 drone if police < 3 & -2 drones if 3..

It's SMAX
          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
            When I build the Self-Aware Colony, I get an extra drone, instead of one less.
            What I found is if I have +3 police rating, and have 3 police units present (which should stiffle 12 drones), when I build the Self-Aware Colony, my police now only suppress 10 drones. Furthermore, I get 10 drones suppressed whether I have a 3rd police unit present or not. It is as thought the 3rd police unit is being replaced by the Self-Aware Colony police, althought not as effectively, since it only suppresses 2 drones instead of 4.

Comment

3 police units at +3 police will each quell 1 + 1 (non-lethal) + 1 (+3 police) = 3 drones, not 4. Thus, you should have been quelling 9 before, and 9 after.
              "Cutlery confused Stalin"
              -BBC news

Comment

I am not sure that is what is supposed to happen. Police +3 says it DOUBLES police effect, not adds one. So if I am already suppressing 6 drones at Police +2, then suppressing 12 drones at Police +3 seems correct. In any case, that is what does happen. And I have personally experienced that in this case, Self-Aware Colony results in extra drones.

Comment

It has been observed that a doubled doubling results in a tripling in this case. Are you sure you don't have other effects suppressing drones? Do you have a screenshot of the psych screen so we can figure out what's going on?

Since this goes against what everyone here expects, either it must be wrong, or we must be wrong, and we should sort this out.
                  "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                  -BBC news

Comment

+3 police DOES NOT double police effect, it just adds one additional drone that can be quelled.

Same with non-lethal methods, the equation is to add one, not multiply by two.

So in essence, you should, with 3 police units with non-lethal methods, and +3 police, quell 9 drones. With the self-aware colony, I presume that it follows the limits, so it cannot be a fourth police unit, capping it at only 9 drones being quelled.

Comment

Then the Self-Aware Colony only works in this case only in bases with 2 police units max.?
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

No, it still halves maintenance (I am assuming that problem with it not working was fixed in one of the patches?)...

And if you only have two units, it still works.

Personally, I never build it, so I don't give a care one way or another. I am just simply curious as to how screwed up SMAC really is...

Comment

Working...
                        X