My current AC game...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better to ignore Flubber when he asks to ignore Enigma_Nova

but if you're not coming back, you won't have to pay attention to either of us!

Comment

Better to ignore Flubber when he asks to ignore Enigma_Nova

but if you're not coming back, you won't have to pay attention to either of us!
      There is no such annoying folk on 'Poly like Enigma_Nova -> almost everyone ignore him, and the few who dont have are either too lazy to search for that option or too new to Apoloyton to know him.
      As for myself, I look at Enigma as at some kind of clown.
      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Yeah, and BT's the resident anti-Engima troll
        /me pays the bridge fee

Comment

Originally posted by MoNoLitH
          CEO Aaron, I don't play MP, therefore any valid comparisons must assume computers at the controls in my case.

I think we've gone way off topic here. The focus was not on whether sea or land is better.

These forums can burn in hell. I have better things to do than get flamed by children with too much time on their hands. Good day.
          Ah, where to begin? Monolith, if you didn't want people's feedback on your factional and strategic choices, WHY ON EARTH did you open a post about it? If you're content to 'play for fun', please unplug the network cable from the back of your computer, and you can go on being a mediocre player until the end of your benighted days.

I was under the impression that your post was aimed at getting feedback about your strategies and game habits, and all of my posts were geared toward providing meaningful feedback on that topic. As it happens, I feel that the faction you chose makes you complacent and slows your development, and took pains to explain why. When others disagreed with me, I did my best to refute their arguments. Is there any other way civilized discourse is supposed to work?

Finally, at no prior point during this thread were you flamed, certainly not by me. A flaming would look like this: You're a pathetic player who barely grasps the most rudimentary concepts of strategy who came here looking to have his fragile ego stroked by a load of slack-jawed onlookers. When you were instead showed the truth behind your mediocrity, you lashed out, ignoring the constructive feedback and meaningful discourse your thread provoked, and instead stuck your head in the sand, insulting this forum and its members, who were legitimately trying to offer advice that would help you. But don't think that makes you special, we get one of you around here every few months. Oh, and one more thing: Just because my posts are large and spelled correctly doesn't mean I spent as much time on them than you might have, just like I can close up a Librarian game of Alpha Centauri in under 400 turns.

Comment

ceoaaron

While I don't flame people I must confess I found that roasting to be somewhat eloquent with a touch of artistry missing from the more typical flames observed.
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron
              Ah, where to begin? Monolith, if you didn't want people's feedback on your factional and strategic choices, WHY ON EARTH did you open a post about it?
              He probably expected us to all say: "Oh you're so terribly good!! "
              Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
              Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Has anyone considered the fact that he is doing this on purpose? I mean 400 turns to win without any modifications to game mechanisms and he has a poll option: "Yea, hail MoNoLitH, AC conqueror!"
                SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by obstructor
                  Has anyone considered the fact that he is doing this on purpose? I mean 400 turns to win without any modifications to game mechanisms and he has a poll option: "Yea, hail MoNoLitH, AC conqueror!"

Possibly but I know when I discovered this place I was playing CIV II and I thought I ws oh so fabulous since I could beat it regularly on emporer and bought into the manual claims that deity was almost impossible. But I knew enough to read a lot before posting and learned a lot pretty quickly and was winning deity regularly before my attention switched to AC.

My point is that it is possible he thought he is great. Its possible he was trolling for responses-- generally I don't care and just respond to people as if their post means what it says
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Well, perhaps he expected flames but did not get ones.
                    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

FLAME WEEK

It must be FIRE WEEK at Apolyton. I just put some roasty coals under Enigma in another thread. What's gotten into us all? Hehe......

Will there also be a Fire Sale? Hmm....

Having not flipped back to page 1 yet to see the supposed original flaming meat , although I had been lurking on the thread previously, I add one more perspective to Monolith's over-reaction. Perhaps he's just in a foul mood and needed some lifting up? Then he read his thread and found that, well, it's not all roses if you ask for honesty . I'll bet he comes back and reads and thinks 'Well, harumph! Maybe I should try this ICSing thing and X and Y and Z' and before you know it, he'll be trolling the threads looking for newbies to help , er, impress.... After all, not all were as wise as Flubber in biting our tongues until we'd really learned everything we could before venturing an opinion.

My vote: Monolith, you will be great if you listen to Yoda and Ceo Aaron, and Flubber, and, well, all the bright bulbs at Apolyton. Don't be put off by us. It's just that it's FIRE WEEK .

-Smack

-Smack
                      Aldebaran 2.1 for Smax is in Beta Testing. Join us for our first Succession Game

Comment

No good deed goes unpunished, it would seem.

Comment

All that said, there *are* many virtues to playing the Pirates, and among them are:

* The ability to be "in the driver's seat" in the early game....being the first faction to have contact with the rest is a HUGE boon that cannot be understated, and as Sven, there's no reason this should not be you.

* Sea bases = LOTS of energy. Very easy to reach pre-restriction lifting caps with minimal sea forming effort. Even better, your terraforming is "do it once and forget" cos as restrictions ease off, the already-in-place terraforming gets better with no added input (or former time) from you.

* Ability to find and cherry pick juicy landmarks much more quickly than anybody else (rover = 2 moves, foil = 4 moves...no matter how you slice it, you're moving MUCH more quickly into the great unknown).

* Ability to quickly and easily expand to any part of Chiron. You start at sea, but you don't have to stay there, and in fact, building a core set of landward bases is always a good move. Fortunately, thanks to your many advantages, finding suitable ground that's well away from the competition is easy to do.

* Your negatives are not paralyzing. Effie is easy to overcome (build one base facility and you're there). Growth...who cares! So you can't do an "easy" pop boom....well, if there's one thing sea bases DON'T have a shortage of, it's food!

* First person who has a fleet can make it frustratingly hard for anybody else to GET one, if they put their minds to it.

* Your abilities get cooler as the game progresses. Nahhh, they're not game breakers, but they're very interesting to play!

Having said that, no....I do not believe the Pirates are a "killer faction" - however, they, like any other faction in the game, can be a powerhouse. It's all in how you use what you got!

-=Vel=-
                          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Sorry vel, flaming spam has erupted on this thread.
                            No faction, regardless of how PWNDAGE they are, could possibly stop this momentum flame.

Comment

CEO Aaron Please check your Mail Box I sent you a PM a few days ago, I know by your own admision you dont check your mail box often so I am forced to post in threads your active in to get your atention.

Activity for the next ACDG is ramping up as the prior game has officialy ended and the final desisions preperations are being made. Activity in the Morgan Board rooms is also incresseing and much pre-game strategising is underway.

If you have any questions or need any help please PM me and I will provide any assistance I can (for a fee ofcorse)
                              Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Ah, well, I bet it's time I confess...

I SUCK!!!!!

(not that you didn't already know that)

Okay, so now you all know that I am never here to impress anyone.

And, might I ask, does EVERYBODY have enigma_nova on their ignore list? Cause I suddenly feel like I'm the only stupid person around here who doesn't. I mean, I was personally flamed by the guy (took up half the thread), but I think it's very interesting to read his posts, even if they aren't exactly...constructive...shall we say?

Comment

Working...
                                X