English

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jamski
    However, according to both the SToR and the GToR, time travel of a sort is possible by travelling fast enough though our 3 dimensions. The fact that time is passing more slowly the faster you travel is a proven scientific fact. Unfortunately it only works one way (i.e. you can get to the future quicker by flying in orbit at near light speeds) and is of no practical use.
    Ah, the story of twins. One stays on Earth, and the second boards a spaceship and goes travel the university at high speed for one subjective year. When he comes back, local time at Earth has passed eg 80 years and his brother is dead.
    However doesn't this theory overlook that speed is AFAIK a measurement of movement relative to another location. For example a spaceship moving away from Earth at high speed. But couldn't one just reverse the situation and claim the Earth is moving away from the spaceship at high speed, and therefore say that local time on Earth will have passed only one year, while in the spaceship of that twin time will have passed 80 years??
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

• The key here is that the twin brother has to come back to earth. Before they meet (or supposed to meet) again time is normal to each of them in their own relative frame (or whatever the English word for it). But when the twin brother come back to his brother's relative frame, the earth, it is appearant that it is the spaceship that had travelled at high speed.
      Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• It is relative to another location, but not relative to the starting location. You need a third location to determine that, and that can be any star.
        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

• I recommend you all to read some of Isaac Asimov's books.
          Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• I have the whole Robots and the empire series. I only read it half though. I will catch on it when I finish Man in the High Castle
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by HongHu
              I recommend you all to read some of Isaac Asimov's books.
              Already finished those about a decade ago (and reread some).

But for novels about one-way time travel, try 'The Peace War' or 'Realtime' from Vernor Vince.
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• About a decade ago, I was still in prime school . Currently I like reading books based upon alternative histories (as some may guessed).

Comment

• That was no reason to read at all! Admit it, you were just plain lazy...
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Nice thread

Can I reccommed "The Dispossed" by Ursula Le Guin. Its kind of at a tangent to the discussion, as the main character is a physicist working on FTL travel, but the book is actually about the ideal of the communist utopia.

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

• I know the writer, but that book I haven't found, I think. Is it 'The Dispossed' or 'The Disposed'?
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Dispossessed. They have nothing. They have lost all their possessions.

-Jam
                        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

• Ok here. Mr Tompkins in Wonderland by George Gamow. Everybody can benefit from some dreams about time travel and stuff during a really long and boring lecture.

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• Originally posted by GeoModder
                            That was no reason to read at all! Admit it, you were just plain lazy...
                            No, I was reading other things. Like Clarke.

Comment

• Go on the lookout for M. K. Wren (The Phoenix Rebellion, a trilogy), I can recommend it with your next faction in mind. Ruling aristocratic famillies with a forced 'reusable' worldview within a medieval classlike society.
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• I'm reading (and rereading) Agatha Christie and Sidney Sheldon myself. They have pretty good English grammars. (Just to get us back on topic. )

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Working...
                                X