English

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jamski
    Yeah, but with two americans using flags from odd countries like the UK and China...

I'm confused enough anyway.

-Jam
    Sorry. For explanation....I'm using the U.K. flag cause it's the most similar one we have to the Hawaii flag. Hawaii and the U.K. were really close together and Hawaii almost joined the U.K. (or in SMAC terms, Perma-pacted) until the U.S. sent in troops to help aid an illegal overthrow of the monarchy in Hawaii.

But I've changed my avatar to the small Hammer & Sickle until there is a reduction in the 'The Reagan' avatars here.....then I'll switch it back to Disney villains I've been using.
    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Kody

Aww so does that mean I have to stop sharpening my red pen?
      You sharpen pencils. Pens write by ink.
      If you sharpen your pen, not only is the pen lost, but so is the myth that you had any intelligence whatsoever.
      0wn3d
      /me slaps Kody around a bit with a large trout

Comment

It's hard making jokes when they keep getting taken seriously.

Comment

Yes it is sooo unfair. :sob: When skanky said "I does" they thought he was funny. And when I say "everybody are" they say "poor at using plurals".
          Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

I know what you mean.

When I Jamski says "I don't agree".

People understand him.

When I say "I think the reasons for that time travel movies are generally impossible are that they usually ends up with temporal paradoxes. This is where the action in the past cancelled the specifics that caused the time travel in the future. Basically for one to happen it negates the other. Ofcourse there is the possibility that the temporal incursion happened all along and caused the result of the incursion. This is the case where the changes caused by the time travel in fact were what caused the time traveling making a kind of self locking loop effect. There is another mode of thinking that time travel is actually from multiple parallel universes. You don't actually change your own universe but instead make a change to a parallel universe that is in a different time frame that to your own. Generally, movies ignore those issues and hence make themselves impossible. Ofcourse with Hollywood you don't need to actually have something realistic to sell a blockbuster so movies will continue to have key flaws in temporal dynamics as I've outlined above."

People just tune out.

Comment

Ok I'm tunning out.
              Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Hey don't tune out on me!

I don't tease you about your use of plurals at all.

PS:
                Ok I'm tunningtuning out.

Comment

Crazy.....
                  Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                  Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                  *****Citizen of the Hive****
                  "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

This thread really gives me a laugh!
                    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Looks like both our teenagers missed a minor typo in HongHu's initial post.

They appearantly still have to learn a bit...
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Hey, dont make fun on me, after a week I wont be a teenager anymore!
                        Anyways, have met many people in my life who are much more stupid than me while being much older at the same time..
                        I believe that after teen years Homo Sapiens dont get any smarter..
                        ..some become even more stupid with years passing..

No pun intended!
                        Just philosophy..
                        -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                        -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Just referring to those referring to HongHu's initial post.
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

When I say "I think the reasons for that time travel movies are generally impossible are that they usually ends up with temporal paradoxes. This is where the action in the past cancelled the specifics that caused the time travel in the future. Basically for one to happen it negates the other. Ofcourse there is the possibility that the temporal incursion happened all along and caused the result of the incursion. This is the case where the changes caused by the time travel in fact were what caused the time traveling making a kind of self locking loop effect. There is another mode of thinking that time travel is actually from multiple parallel universes. You don't actually change your own universe but instead make a change to a parallel universe that is in a different time frame that to your own. Generally, movies ignore those issues and hence make themselves impossible. Ofcourse with Hollywood you don't need to actually have something realistic to sell a blockbuster so movies will continue to have key flaws in temporal dynamics as I've outlined above."
                            The movie Timeline gets this right though Kody.

/me is never tunned out *

-Jam
                            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Personally I have a very flexible view on the way time travel works. My view is that it's sci-fiction, and it doesn't have to make sense since we haven't managed to do it. If we do manage it then it may just defile current understanding like quatumn physics is completely different from a Newtonian view of the world.

However, according to the more popular theories on time travel (that I was reguritating) Timeline didn't get it right. Basically they changed the past, but that should have changed their own knowledge of the past with it.

So the part where they found out that they rescued the french lady who was supposed to have been killed. They shouldn't have been aware that they changed the past, since their own memory is supposed to have changed at the same time that they changed the past.

PS: In my opinion the acting in Timeline was really bad and I felt I wasted a movie ticket.

Comment

Spelling vultures
                                SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X