English

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

d=me,
    we are just joking here. As for me, I am not native english speaker myself. Many words I do not understand either right away, just need dictionary for that. Languages usually have thousands of words, my biggest English Dictionary has like over 300,000 words. Hardly it is possible to know all of them all the time. I also need to use my native language dictionary too sometimes. Imagine for example traditional Japanese written language. Learning languages is dynamic process for life. You may speak a language whole your life and yet still not know every of its word. Yes, SMAC thaught me some new words. ...like belligerent for example.
    Mart
    Map creation contest
    WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

As an aside, I'd just like to say how cool it was of the designers to use terms like 'magnanimous', 'belligerent', 'solicitous' and 'seething' instead of bland 'happy', 'annoyed', 'angry' etc. Just another one of those little details that makes SMAC so much more engaging.

Comment

Originally posted by TheProvost
        As an aside, I'd just like to say how cool it was of the designers to use terms like 'magnanimous', 'belligerent', 'solicitous' and 'seething' instead of bland 'happy', 'annoyed', 'angry' etc. Just another one of those little details that makes SMAC so much more engaging.
        How nicely put Provost
        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

d=me, as well as English you can get SMAC in several other languages. A few were put out by Firaxis but I believe our 'community' here and elsewhere has expanded from that base.

Comment

Originally posted by d=me
            What's your problem? why are you always against me?
            I think you mis-interpreted my comments.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I didn't know what magnanimous meant until I started playing civ2

Comment

Usually, I don't have those problems, because in many cases, a written version of the texts is included somewhere in the game. But there is one thing that puzzles me:

When I quit the game, it's always quoted here in the forum as "... the drones are looking up to you". I can do what I want but the second word never matches "drones".
                Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

the drones need you.
                  they look up to you.

Really have a life outside SMAC?
                  > Yes, I want to have a job and a partner and a life
                  > No, SMAC is all I need. Teach those drones a lesson!

Comment

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
                    Gelieve te gaan niet. De hommels vereisen u. Zij kijken tot u.
                    Veuillez ne pas aller. Le besoin de bourdons vous. Ils regardent jusqu'à vous.
                    Bitte gehen Sie nicht. Die Drohnenotwendigkeit Sie. Sie schauen bis zu Ihnen.
                    Παρακαλώ μην πηγαίνετε. Οι κηφήνες σας χρειάζονται. Κοιτάζουν μέχρι σας.
                    Non vada prego. Il bisogno dei ronzi voi. Osservano fino voi.
                    Por favor não vá. A necessidade dos zangões você. Olham até você.
                    Пожалуйста не пойдите. Потребность трутней вы. Они смотрят до вас.
                    No vaya por favor. La necesidad de los abejones usted. Miran hasta usted.
                    (worldlingo.com)

Insomnia in the Adirondacks
                    Last edited by gwillybj; May 13, 2004, 00:43.
                    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Frankychan------------->-gwillybj
                      Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                      *****Citizen of the Hive****
                      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Just having a little fun with a handy website I know about. There's a funny little problem in a few of those translations, though: When you translate them back to English, drones comes back as bumblebees!
                        I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by gwillybj
                            Just having a little fun with a handy website I know about. There's a funny little problem in a few of those translations, though: When you translate them back to English, drones comes back as bumblebees!
                            To dutch it's literally translated as: Kindly not go. The bumblebees need you. They look at you.
                            He who knows others is wise.
                            He who knows himself is enlightened.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

gwillybj, your russian is incorrect!

Ïîæàëóéñòà íå ïîéäèòå. Ïîòðåáíîñòü òðóòíåé âû. Îíè ñìîòðÿò äî âàñ.
                              EDIT - it is the russian text made unreadable by my stupid machine

in english is:

Please dont go to.
                              (not "go away" but "go to". russians have many "go's")
                              Need drones you.
                              sounds quite nice,but a normal russian will go when you say him this, he wont understand it so as it is meant
                              They look till you
                              "do bac" is not right - "ha bac" is right. In cyrillic of course
                              -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                              -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Hah!

The German one is pretty wrong too

Notwendigkeit is the noun for need (As in "they felt the need")

The drones "brauchen Sie" is more like it

-Jam
                                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Working...
                                X