***SMAC/X Facilities Guide***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jamski
    Ah, go for it then. Four conditions : Use it word-for-word, and put it in its own subsection and credit me. Link back to Apolyton too.
    Boy, I hate to be a pain in the ass, but...

Thumbs-up on the credit and Apolyton thing -- if you looked at it, you'll probably have noticed I've credited Vel for everything pasted from his guide (and placed him in the Authors section). The "word for word" thing, though, I'm afraid we can't do, partly for legal reasons: the text must be placed under the GNU Free Documentation License for us to use it. I mean, I could paste it in word for word, but that doesn't stop somebody else from changing it later. Granted, you'll still have full credit for the original, and it would be clear that it may have been modified, so nobody could hold it against you that the book says blah blah blah and you didn't write it. Again, I think this is a "plus" rather than a "minus", but unfortunately if you do not agree to that I'm afraid it can't happen.

- Kef
    I AM.BUDDHIST

Comment

But it may end up as other peoples' words with my name on the bottom. Sorry, but that really doesn't work for me. Link back to 'poly from Wikipedia instead.

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Well, I guess I'll start working on our own guide, then... Really, I don't see what the problem is if we make it clear that the words may no longer be yours, but I won't pressure you into anything.

- Kef
        I AM.BUDDHIST

Comment

Ok, I just changed my mind again. Stick it in, and treat it like you treated the stuff from Vel's guide. I'll write you a little author note as well.

That'll be ok. I guess not THAT many people will have an urge to put stupid ideas in my mouth.

GO FOR IT! Before I cahnge my mind again.

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Will do! Really, I think in the end you won't be disappointed.

- Kef
            I AM.BUDDHIST

Comment

Cool.

Have a look at the colected wisdom in this thread too...

-Jam

Comment

Turns out anarchie already generated the list of facilities, so the strategic info can just be added to that.

I got the Aquafarm one...I started doing the Children's Creche but ran into a roadblock, that is, how to adequately explain the concept of "ecs" as opposed to actual energy...maybe the term "factor of production" or some variant could be used.

This is what it looks like now:

I had to revise it a bit...for instance using "American" spellings for consistency with the rest of the guide, removing some "Ok's" and whatnot to make the text more "professional". But the actual content is still yours.

I'll try to add the rest soon if you still have no objections.

- Kef
                I AM.BUDDHIST

Comment

Originally posted by furrykef
                  I had to revise it a bit...for instance using "American" spellings

Bloody american spellings. >_<''

Comment

I AM.BUDDHIST

Comment

Comment

I AM.BUDDHIST

Comment

I have a couple of tiny additions to make:
                          Biolgy lab: the lab points generated are amplified by facilities, and are immune to inefficeny, in effect like 2/3rd of a libarian. (so it is more useful than 2 crawled energy)
                          Children Creche: Under negative morale conditions, mindworms still gain the morale boost from the creche, despite not taking a morale hit from the SE, particullary applicable for Gaians running wealth (+37% morale). It's a bug, but somewhat unavoidable when defending bases with worms.
                          (The Creche entry is already massive... so please yourself whether you include it)

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                            I have a couple of tiny additions to make:
                            Biolgy lab: the lab points generated are amplified by facilities, and are immune to inefficeny, in effect like 2/3rd of a libarian. (so it is more useful than 2 crawled energy)
                            Children Creche: Under negative morale conditions, mindworms still gain the morale boost from the creche, despite not taking a morale hit from the SE, particullary applicable for Gaians running wealth (+37% morale). It's a bug, but somewhat unavoidable when defending bases with worms.
                            (The Creche entry is already massive... so please yourself whether you include it)
                            Thanks, I didn't know that about the mindworms & the creche. There have been a few games where I've been forced to defend myself from a (weapon) technologically superior AI, and I have found worms to be really useful on those occasions. Now I know part of the reason why.
                            He's got the Midas touch.
                            But he touched it too much!
                            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I'm guessing the other part of your defence was Probe Teams.

Enough Probes and Worms can defeat -anything-!

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
                                I'm guessing the other part of your defence was Probe Teams.

Enough Probes and Worms can defeat -anything-!
                                Yea, they are my main defense most of the early game, but they can't do anything against aircraft or against Miriam when she's running Fundy, or when you just can't afford to buy an entire Yang onslaught.

The first time I really needed them was when I had a good sized continent to myself and was busy building away and messing up my tech beelines. Yang got aircraft pretty early and it turns out he was right across the straits from my southern holdings. He was slaughtering formers and scout patrols and synthmetal garrisons left and right with needle jets. I went on a crash worm building program using all the appropriate and available worm enhancing infrastructure (I did have the SP that gives you +50% to your psi-defense), and then garrisoned my southern bases with a couple of worms apiece until I could research air power myself. The worms stopped him cold, amazingly enough. Probably this was in part due to the AI's typical refusal to accept losses even though they have enormous numerical superiority.

Worms are sometimes your best option on the attack as well. I remember playing as Morgan when a large Dee got fresh and declared war. My pactmate Miriam was also in big trouble, and as Dee was number two on the power charts and hit me with a fairly large force initially I decided to do something about her.

Once again I had neglected military techs, but I did have a good economy and was running green. She was out of air range thankfully, but was streaming troops towards me across the continent, so I built perhaps a dozen worms and destroyed her army in detail, and then conquered over half of her bases until she surrendered. Thank god for monoliths and the capture base heal! I gave the bases closest to me to my Pactmate Miriam, kept the two with SPs, and returned the rest to Dee. Amusingly this caused barely a hiccup in my building, as I never had to augment the initial force.
                                He's got the Midas touch.
                                But he touched it too much!
                                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                                X