No announcement yet.

Buying SMAX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually use a much larger screen size than what alpha centuari uses. So whenever I alt/tab I have a reduced space to type notes etc. I'm always making lots of notes.

Also being the geek I am I usually have multiple things I'm keeping an eye on.
    I actually have a little window that has keeps tabs on all my communication channels that is always visible if I'm working in a windowed program.

Finally the way I make screenshots is with paintbrush. That means print screen, alt-tab, open paintbrush, paste, quit SMAC, paste again to get a color picture rather than a black screenshot, save, start SMAC again. For some reason you need to paste while SMAC is running so windows does the color conversion correctly. Then quit SMAC and paste again into paintbrush to get proper color (otherwise it uses 8-bit or 16-bit color I think).

Comment

Do what I do - set screen resolutin to 16 bit after SMAX boots up and leave it running in the background?
      You get nice 16-bit screenies that way.

Comment

I think my biggest complaint is actually the screen flicker as you alt-tab.

Having a windowed version also means I can quickly compare energy, minerals and nutrients, both produced and in production. I do that quite alot and the screen flashing whenever you switch starts giving me bad eyesore after 30 times. It usually takes 100 switches to compare an average midgame.

Comment

By having 2 instances of SMAC open at the same time...
          how on earth do you do that, anyway? Is it a linux thing?

Anyhow, set the background res to 16 Bit.
          SMAC changes it on startup, but not during the game.

Comment

NO-CD crack helps you to run two or more versions of SMAX.
            SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

amazon.com

that's where I got it.

although it cost me $20

I got this other games.

I installed Sim City 3000. But I'm not sure if I like it. But I do like smacx.

Comment

amazon.com

that's where I got it.

although it cost me $20

I got this other games.

I installed Sim City 3000. But I'm not sure if I like it. But I do like smacx.
                You should. I think it's a great game. Better than SimCity 4 in fact
                I support Manchester United.

Comment

Originally posted by kelvinhole

You should. I think it's a great game. Better than SimCity 4 in fact
                  I'll try again. This time after reading the instructions . It's one of those games where it's best to read the instructions first, so you know what the hell you are doing.

Comment

SMAC

I loaned my Plantary Pack to a friend, who promptly destroyed it. I went to Gamestop and they had two Laptop Collections in the bin for $9.99! Needless to say that I scooped them up.

Comment

Once again, go to Game Stop. I picked up a copy of the Planetary Pack for under $10.00.

Comment

SMAC/X is still available here FOR FREE:

-- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                        -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Not so long ago I saw Laptop Collection in Shopko. I bought mine in MediaPlay over half a year ago, but I think they may no longer have it.
                          Laptop Collection has 4 games, or even 5, coz SMAC and SMAX are treated as one there. And there is an additional SMAC CD.
                          Mart
                          Map creation contest
                          WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

The Laptop Collection includes:

SMAC
                            SMAX
                            Tiger Woods PGA Golf
                            Command and Conquer 2: Red Alert
                            SimCity 3000

My box contained two CDs for SMAC... the original, and then the "Planetary Pack" which I assume has both SMAC and SMAX on the same CD. Is that correct?

For our non-US friends... try looking for the Laptop Collection on eBay.

Comment

nm
                              Last edited by livid imp; September 9, 2004, 12:49.
                              "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
                              "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
                              "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
                              "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
                                SMAC/X is still available here FOR FREE:

http://smac.2be.cc
                                Not that I see...

And thankfully, I already have SMAX
                                I once was a slave to the Alderbaran 2 project!
                                Now I shall work towards cIV:AC!... Oh Wait, that's dead too...
                                It's Nword like 'lord' and 'sword'

Comment

Working...
                                X