Buying SMAX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying SMAX?

Hi there... where is an inexpensive place to buy SMAX? Are there any more options as to acquire it? Thanks!

Abandonware. You can also get the Planetary pack on ebay...

but just search for abandonware.

Comment

That depends on what you call inexpensive. As I recall, I purchased SMAX for ~$50 US in 1999. With at bit of inflation that would be between $55 and $60 now. I'm sure I saw SMAX at Amazon a week or two ago for $79. Considering how much I've used it, SMAX at $79 is quite a bargain. I've heard that e-bay copies are in the same range.

Good luck! If you find a place that is cheaper, I'm sure lots of folks would like to know!

Hydro

Comment

One of my PBEM partners mentioned a few days ago that e-bay had 19 copies for sale

G.

Comment

I bought the planetary pack at the Finnish auction site Huuto.net for about 10€. There is also currently one planetary pack for sale there for 25€: http://www.huuto.net/fi/showitem.php3?itemid=5316228

Unfortunately, this is not very useful for people outside of Finland.

Comment

I tried abandonware, but the game was unplayable. Tried the cracks, no good. It was a waste of time downloading it. I don't recommend it. I'm resigned to forever play SMAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydro
              That depends on what you call inexpensive. As I recall, I purchased SMAX for ~$50 US in 1999. With at bit of inflation that would be between $55 and $60 now. I'm sure I saw SMAX at Amazon a week or two ago for $79. Considering how much I've used it, SMAX at $79 is quite a bargain. I've heard that e-bay copies are in the same range.
              er, i got mine a few years ago for $10
              and it was hard to find then, i doubt you'll be able to buy it anywhere other than eBay.

Comment

"abandonware" is bull****. It is theft.

Comment

So is paying over $50 for an expansion pack.

Comment

I tried abandonware, but the game was unplayable. Tried the cracks, no good. It was a waste of time downloading it. I don't recommend it. I'm resigned to forever play SMAC.
                    I when playing SMAX you need to add a specific line into the settings file, something like "set volex algorithms=1"

Otherwise SMAX will always crash on many computers (computer newer than 3 years old).

Comment

Originally posted by mucker
                      So is paying over $50 for an expansion pack.
                      Then don't buy it and just do without.

Comment

I frequently put things in ‘pizza equivalents’ to do my own reality check. By my estimation, SMAX at e-bay or Amazon is 4 pizza equivalents. So, if you can’t afford it then skip 4 pizzas and you’re all set. It is a big bargain, and you really don't need the extra calories anyway, right?

Hydro

P.S. - As with all 5-finger discounts, it is hard to complete with ‘free’, or the perception of ‘free’ (eg – I won’t get caught, so it’s all right).

Comment

walmart now has them together....Alpha Centauri AND Alien Crossfire...in a package with 3 other games i believe....only 20 bucks...just bought it today

Comment

What's the name of the pack?

Comment

Laptop collection or soemthing like that....

it has a Tiger Woods game (or golf game), Red Alert 2, and Simcity 3000 unlimited....along with SMAC & SMAX

it was only 20 dollars, so I grabbed it....

Comment

Working...
                              X