Help geronimo buy a 3d printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help geronimo buy a 3d printer

No i haven't been lurking but ive missed the place!

Anyway, does anybody have any experience to help guide a purchase of a 3d printer? I'm strongly leaning towards fdm but other than that I'm mostly looking for maximum flexibility, reliability, and precision without spending a lot more than $500 on this first printer.

can anybody speak to the worth of dual extruders vs single or of a wide variety of plastics vs just pla and abs? I'm sure this first one will be what i can work with for the next couple of years and I'm not really satisfied with the inconsistent guidance reviews and buyer's guides are offering.

thanks for any advice and sorry being such a stranger again.

I can't really help you but I have been watching Jay Leno's Garage especially the episodes where he works on extremely rare pre-1920 cars. For most of these cars spare parts no longer exist and even original factory specifications no longer exist so they have had to resort to 3d modeling with lasers of the few remaining original parts and 3rd metal printing in order to produce copies of factory originals. It is just fascinating.

Maybe start by telling us what you wish to accomplish then maybe people can tell you which technology is best or at least good enough for what you want to do? What is it you seek to accomplish?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

All my printers have been 3D. 2D ones are usually photos or drawings, and don't really work.
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Shoot, I had intended to post this in the sub forum. my apologies.

Comment

No problem. Moved.
          AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
          JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
            Maybe start by telling us what you wish to accomplish then maybe people can tell you which technology is best or at least good enough for what you want to do? What is it you seek to accomplish?
            Thanks Dinner.

Applications I hope to accomplish include simple repairs of small broken plastic components, preferably with choices of materials that can handle some wear and tear without constant failure, figurines for my daughter whose requests are picky beyond belief, something for my daughter to print her 3d designed projects on at home, a few props and bits for my young sons hobbies and mechanical engineering kits that he currently embellishes on with woefully inadequate materials like cardboard. Basically I decided I should get one when I realized how often I've replaced something purely because a 3d printable part was no longer available or paid enough for such a part that I instead upgraded earlier than was strictly necessary.

Could anybody speak to the worth of dual extruders vs single or of a wide variety of plastics vs just pla and abs? I'm sure this first one will be what i can work with for the next couple of years and I'm not really satisfied with the inconsistent guidance reviews and buyer's guides are offering.

I've generally trusted Tom's hardware

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-3d...view-2236.html

and they and several other reviewers like the Monoprice Voxel (AKA Flashforge Adventurer 3)

But shopping for one I can't help but notice dual extruders with much larger printable volumes like the Qidi Tech X pro for only about $70 more.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076BLQWHY...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Those Voxel endorsing roundup reviews aren't very old. Why doesn't the X Pro blow the Voxel out of the water? I feel as if I am missing something or maybe several somethings.

thank you so much for any advice!

Comment

All3dp claims the Original Prusa i3 MK3S+ is the home printer to buy. You can read their break down here:

The best 3D printers for home, plus resin, budget, & beginner's picks, backed by testing & reviews. Check out our buyer's guide to find the best 3D printer for your needs.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Thanks Dinner!

This review, and especially the related discussion is exactly what I'm looking for.

My wife has been insisting I try to find an enclosed printer as a more kid safe option but the Prusa i3 endorsement still helps me appreciate how much importance these reviewers apply to dual extruders (apparently not a lot).

Comment

Working...
                X