Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay...here's one of the entire Asmodean family
    Attached Files
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

• Originally posted by Kramerman
      is your avatar a sketch of michael moore?
      Actually, its a sketch of a friend of mine. Although everyone seems to call the picture the 'silent uni-bobber' for some reason. :-o
      Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
      http://john.jfreaks.com
      -The Artist Within-

Comment

• A larger version of earlier drawing since it was asked for. I remember drawing this in the dorm's bathroom (they had this awesome big mirror so I just brought a chair in and started doodling away) but such conditions tend not to be conducive to drawing, so you'll notice I really screwed up the eyes.... Although, now that I recall, I was squinting at the time... must have been bright lights or something.
        Attached Files
        Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
        http://john.jfreaks.com
        -The Artist Within-

Comment

• Originally posted by Asmodean
          Okay...here's one of the entire Asmodean family
          Cute kid!

Comment

• Yeah...William is nice, isn't he?

Asmodean
            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

• Takes after his mother?

Comment

• *Asmodean bashes Spikey with a thick wooden stick*

Well, his eyes are definately his mother's. As for the rest of his features? Good old genuine viking heritage

Asmodean

Comment

• Alternately good old genuine mongol heritage...
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Well, his mother is Thai, so the only Asian warrior tribe that could be in his blood, is Khmer. But mind you...that is fiersome enough.

Asmodean

Comment

• Originally posted by Asmodean
                      Well, his mother is Thai, so the only Asian warrior tribe that could be in his blood, is Khmer. But mind you...that is fiersome enough.

Asmodean

Better not tell your wife that, Thai and Khmer are like English and French...........

Comment

• Originally posted by atawa

Better not tell your wife that, Thai and Khmer are like English and French...........
                        You mean they are genetically disposed towards intense dislike of the other due to 9 centuries of squabbling?
                        There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

• The Khmer? You sure?

I do know the Burmese and the Thai don't really like each other (and that's a severe understatement), but the Khmer thing is new to me.

It sure wasn't the Khmer who sacked and burned down the Thai capital on several occassions...
                          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

• Well, it's very intricate and complicated. First of all, the etnic composition of modern day Thailand is both Thai (whick I'll get into later), Khmer and Chinese. These are the main groupings, but there are others. What is today Thailand is actually a result of many years of colonial policies by the Thais and a few years of stupidity during the thirties and WWII which resulted in Thailand losing what is today Cambodia.

But to return to the ethnicity. Thailand was never really a unified country with set borders. Rather is was 5 or 6 kingdoms constantly expanding into each other. This meant that sometimes the Capital was a one location, sometimes at another. During the last 400 years, at least 4 cities have been capital of Thailand. But the sacking you refer to, Locutus, was done by the Burmese. The northern kingdom of Lanna was at that time dominated by the Burmese, and they were out to get the kingdom of Ayutthaya.

Timeline:

The Khmer period in Thailand last untill roughly 1200, when Sukhothai became the dominant kingdom. They had a brief but very prosperous time that lasted until 1321, when they lost a big part of their kingdom to the Lanna. Then some 30 years later, Ayutthaya emerges as the new capital of Siam (a name actually given to the area by the Chinese, but later adopted by the Siamese themselves).

For the next 170 years there is constant warfare between Siam and Lanna, always with Siam (Ayutthaya) having the upper hand. But in 1564, Lanna (now Burma controlled) invades Ayutthaya. Ayutthaya is under Lanna control untill 1593 when they lose everything in the battle of Sarai.

Through the 1600's control of both Ayutthaya and Lanna is firmly in the hands of Ayutthaya, but in 1688 the strong king Narai dies. This leads to a revolution in Ayutthaya and the Burmese seize the opportunity and reestablishes control over Lanna. But worse is to come for Siam. In 1766, the Burmese take first Chiang Mai, and then march on towards Ayutthaya where the lay a siege. In 1767, they eventually sack and burn Ayutthaya. This leads to two things. First, the Siamese capital is moved to Thon Buri (inside modern day Bangkok) and second, the Siamese and the Lanna unite to drive the Burmese out of the combined Siam and Lanna territories. Lanna was independent until ca. 1800 when it was annexed by Siam.

After the sacking of Ayutthaya, the general who relocated the Capital became king. He made Siam into a regional power again within 10 years. Internal unrest, however led to his downfall, and another general, Chao Phraya Chakkri took over the reigns of power. He moves the capital across the river, founding what is today Bangkok, and then he was proclaimed king Rama 1, thus instigating the Chakkri dynasti, which continues to this day.

So yes, the Khmer was a dominant factor in Thailand, but it was a long time ago. There really is no telling what my wifes heritage is, since the Thai history is so chaotic.

Asmodean

Comment

• Nicely done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asmodean So yes, the Khmer was a dominant factor in Thailand, but it was a long time ago. There really is no telling what my wifes heritage is, since the Thai history is so chaotic.

Asmodean
                                The Khmer havent been a dominat factor for a long time in SE-Asia, it was mainly the years of Thai occupation and the destruction and plundering of Khmer temples that still is an issue with a lot of Khmer.

Add to that the riots that broke out last year when some Thai soapstar (Television, not massage ) said something about Ankor being basicly Thai and the Khmer should give it back.

I was in both Cambodia and Northern Thailand/BKK this winter and still sensed a lot of animosity.
                                (I didnt get served in one particular restaurant in BKK becouse I had a shirt on from Cambodia, Yin Yang GH in Sihanoukville, belongs to a mate)

Looking at you wife's facial features I'd say she's from Northern Thailand, mixed Thai-Chinese.

She doesnt look either Khmer or Isaan (Lao).

Comment

Working...
                                X