Comment

• English speaking ones.

Comment

• interesting

so what short name would you suggest?
        Gurka 17, People of the Valley
        I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Definitely strongly derogatory where I come from, and I'm pretty sure it is in the US too. Comes from WW2, I guess it's mostly those countries that fought them, though that should include Australia also...

Either way, the Japanese themselves consider it derogatory and that's 'good enough'...
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

• really, even more interesting

even after the many abuses of Australians by the Jappaman in WWII, we have a massive Japanese tourism industry here in Oz...

and they be called Japs here quite openly and freely... and they still here

so again i would ask, what short term names do you suggest other than calling the Jappaman and his kin "Japs"??>
            I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Originally posted by LordShiva

No, it's a derogatory term for them. Obviously, this isn't well known in Norway, so you are excused.
              I always thought it was short too. Why is it a slur? Only because people let themselves be offended by it. It's very outdated anyways. something you might see on old bugs bunny cartoons. I'm not offended by being a gringo.

Comment

• What (non-derogatory) short-form do the Germans have? Or Hungarians, or Argentians? Some countries have short-forms, some don't...

Japs is a degoratory term in large parts of the world. If it's not where you come from fine, use it there, but be more careful about it in an international environment...

BTW, we still frequently call Germans krauts and much worse to their faces over here, doesn't stop them from coming as tourists. I seriously doubt any tourists are aware of what the locals are calling them -- especially Japanese ones who in my experience tend not to speak a single word of English (the ones that come to Europe don't anyway). Very polite though (both Japanese and Germans) and good sense of humour (not so much the Germans), some of the best tourists you can encounter once you get past the language barrier.
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

• i thought this was the picture thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus
                    What (non-derogatory) short-form do the Germans have? Or Hungarians, or Argentians? Some countries have short-forms, some don't...

Japs is a degoratory term in large parts of the world. If it's not where you come from fine, use it there, but be more careful about it in an international environment...

BTW, we still frequently call Germans krauts and much worse to their faces over here, doesn't stop them from coming as tourists. I seriously doubt any tourists are aware of what the locals are calling them -- especially Japanese ones who in my experience tend not to speak a single word of English (the ones that come to Europe don't anyway). Very polite though (both Japanese and Germans) and good sense of humour (not so much the Germans), some of the best tourists you can encounter once you get past the language barrier.
                    cheers, been sitting in Oz for all of this chat so far
                    and again, I see no issue with calling a person from Japan a Jap
                    wondering though, do we have anyone from Japan here?

and B Etor, we painting a word picture

edit: I see your point for the Germans, I asked Maria just now, she assured me that she would be most unhappy with me if I called her Germ

sorry do not have any Hungarians in this office

we do have several Japanese speakers though, they have some funny names for Germans...
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike
                      That post certainly raised my eyebrows too, but it's clear from Nikolai's previous posts and general forum persona that it is just a miscommunication.

However, I don't really agree with Nikolai or Gramps about betor's pic. Nikolai himself has posted worse from his 'Christian Camps'.
                      Listen to Spikie, he's a smart guy. Other than when he talks about my pics, then he's totally unreliable.

But really guys, I sincerely didn't mean any harm and if you don't mind, I suggest we continue posting and discussing pics.
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike

However, I don't really agree with Nikolai or Gramps about betor's pic. Nikolai himself has posted worse from his 'Christian Camps'.
                        Exactly what did I say or do that you didnt like?

Just curious
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• seriously

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

Much better young lady
                            This is a way of an older, kinder man telling a younger lady, without being perverted or out of place, that this picture is much more complementary. NOTE: I did not in anyway make a sexual inuendo

The other one, well, one could almost hear some of the posters palpitating, almost
                            This was a bit of humor, for those who did not get it, as in the old joke of a high school teenager with short skirt, blah blah blah, I was merely stating some may get a little excited, almost

Dang

Now if i in any way shape or form offended someone please understand, it was not meant to.

Oh, I didnt tell B etor to remove it

Now

a picture

Oh, i am the warm fuzzy bunny
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Post more pictures!!!
                              Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Member of Team Southern Cross in Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game
                              Member of the Great Council of the Horde in Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

• Not sure if I shared these before or not

me and my minister of education in Jutiapa Honduras, south of Danli in the El Paraiso province, building on the first day of a 40 X 60 foot 14 course high church

100's and humid
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X