Picture Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enough talk! We need pics! We need pics! This is Ming's grandma:

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• I've seen her already.
      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
      Middle East!

Comment

• /me thinks he's read all this somewhere else previously...
        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

• Originally posted by Heresson
          I've seen her already.
          In the Biblical sense?
          "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

• We do need the vomit smiley.
            Middle East!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
              * Shogun Gunner thinks he's read all this somewhere else previously...
              I've used her on a couple of other forums, are you a member of the PIF forums(Paradox)? It's my true belief that Ming's grandma is needed in this world of suffering...
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

• Originally posted by Heresson
                We do need the vomit smiley.
                Amen, brother!

Comment

• Ah! Paradox forum! That's where I've probably seen it!
                  Middle East!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai
                    It's my true belief that Ming's grandma is needed in this world of suffering...
                    You should use this lady instead.
                    Attached Files
                    Middle East!

Comment

• That was Matka Boska Ostrobramska (Holy Mother of God of the Sharp Gate, in Vilnius), my grandma used to have a copy of it
                      and here is Mother of God of Czestochowa, the holiest icon in Poland (I like the one of Vilnius better)
                      Attached Files
                      Middle East!

Comment

• Here is she - without garments!

She is also known as Czarna Madonna, the Black Madonna.

There's a scarf on the painting, allegedly made by a Swede in the times of siege of the monastery it's kept in
                        Attached Files
                        Middle East!

Comment

• And here is the holy icon of Lysiec, Podole (nowdays in Ukraine) - it was transported after ww2 to my city and is kept in Armenian church.
                          Attached Files
                          Middle East!

Comment

• Nice. Icons are often very beautiful. But they are only pictures IMHO, I can't understand why Orthodox "worship" them(I know it isn't worshiping, but it resembles it as I see it with my lutheran eyes...). But boy, are those a great piece of art!

Comment

• These are catholic icons, though with orthodox (at least the Black one) roots.
                              Catholicism do not share the orthodox attitude towards icons completely, however.
                              The cult of Icons, I think St John of Damascus made an intellectual justification for it.
                              I don't remember it exactly, though.

Btw, Mary is not only The Queen of Heaven, she's the eternal queen of Poland as well, since the Swedish flood

Oh! I didn't recall which icon it was about, but You can see a circle of stars around the head of Mary on the first picture. Some people were angry at EU's flag (a circle of stars on a dark blue field) because of that

Note that the first Mary rests on a half-moon. I think, but am not sure, that it's because of some part of Apocalypse.
                              Last edited by Heresson; February 13, 2005, 13:11.
                              Middle East!

Comment

• Me and a distant relative of mine, this New Year's Eve. On a camp, as "always".

Comment

Working...
                                X