Seriously, why olive green?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posted on behalf of DanQ.

These things take time; Rome wasn't built in a day you know. We have other priorities at the moment.

Comment

Sadly I've been having ISP problems since early January, I won't be able to do any work on the site until those are resolved (which by the way things are going ATM is probably by me switching to a new ISP altogether, which would unfortunately add another couple of weeks of delay). Once I have net access at home again fixing the style problems will be my top priority, but at this point it's very hard to say when that will be -- hopefully within a month but that's what I was promised last month as well.

If someone else wants to develop an (at least interim) dark style for us, please contact Dan or Solver to see if they can help you set that up -- I'm afraid I'm really not in a position to do anything useful myself right now.
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I don't mind the green either. There are certainly things to be tweaked, but I'm just very glad we are on vb3, whatever style issues pale compared to the greatness of having an up-to-date forum.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
          I don't mind the green either. There are certainly things to be tweaked, but I'm just very glad we are on vb3, whatever style issues pale compared to the greatness of having an up-to-date forum.
          What he said
          *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

It's certainly not easy to be green.

Locutus has already stated that he intends provide a more traditional style for those who prefer it, but simply unable to do so for reasons beyond his control. There is no point in demanding something that is unavailable right now. However, it is worth reiterating that issues of style are important in a place as pleasant as this one and that they will not pale compared to some abstract greatness.

I am very much delighted about the ability to search the archives now. Style issues are not nearly as important as the technical concerns of those who keep this place up and running from day to day, and, at some point, they will simply stop to bother me.

However, the "greatness of having an up-to-date forum" is something that I simply fail to grasp. I suppose that it is a huge advantage for those who deal with the technical side of maintaining this place and, of course, I accept that that in itself is a reason to do an upgrade. A guest like myself whose favourite tavern has just changed all its wallpapers has a different perspective. People who still love to play Civ2 and SMAC every few months have other priorities than being "up to date". We tend to ask whether we like it better now. Personally, I do not. To me the colour scheme is too bright, the advertisements are more intrusive (because of the movement) and the whole place just isn't what it used to be ...

See, I feel better already!

Verrucosus

P.S.: I do hope that it has not been overlooked that the honourable Member for Austin has raised a point of concern beyond mere aesthetics.

Comment

Despite the fact that I started this b1tch-thread, I should admit that I'm now fine with the green thing.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

You've been assimilated
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I just want a black and gray skin so my eyes stop bleeding is is all.
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                    Despite the fact that I started this b1tch-thread, I should admit that I'm now fine with the green thing.

Yeah, it grows on you, like a fungus.

I really do not like the white background though.

And hey, hey.
                    Monk
                    so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Back atcha! How you doin' you old fart?
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                        Back atcha! How you doin' you old fart?
                        Currently experiencing an upswing!! I've gone thru so many downs and ups that I wonder if I am a yo-yo. It's definitely good to be alive and kicking. Hope you and yours are prospering.

Monk
                        so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Originally posted by TCO View Post
                          Locutus, pull your head out of your ass and listen to the customers. Green sucks. And this blog is dying. I can't beleive you've fallen behind CFC. That's shameful.

TCO, do you honestly believe the green bar is in the least influential to the "dying" or the "falling behind?" CFC folks appear to be willing to put up with flame wars in their game-related threads. Their numbers have remained more steady than Apolyton. Our OT flame wars put theirs to shame, and we don't have that crap in our Civ IV threads.

Army green is alright by me. You Navy types own way too many forums already.
                          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                            I started to reply but then accidentally refreshed the page in a way that killed my reply, and then had to go work. Darn boss and all.

Basically:

* Nearly everyone else is blue
                            * Green is not blue
                            * CFC is red
                            * Green is not red
                            * Therefore, Green is good

was roughly the idea. I don't hate the green color like y'all, though I certainly didn't pick it (and am working on a blue one that is not default-blue, therefore mildly better at least). I also don't think it's olive green (that's a lot more yellow/brown), but either way.
                            I think its more the green of the big clicky bugs that startle one while driving by going 'SPLAT' on the windshield and leaving this exact color green which somehow dries so fast that even if you quickly go for the windshield washer the blades take out the wet center and leave an oblong dried circle or halo of dried chunky goo which somehow used to keep the bug alive. If you could put a few words inside that space you have Poly in its current incarnation.

That said, I love green bug goo dried all over my windshield so put me down as 100% behind the green color for Poly.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
                              The green, red and white make the site look very spring-y (the season) and Greek.
                              Wouldn't that require more brown?
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
                                I think its more the green of the big clicky bugs that startle one while driving by going 'SPLAT' on the windshield and leaving this exact color green which somehow dries so fast that even if you quickly go for the windshield washer the blades take out the wet center and leave an oblong dried circle or halo of dried chunky goo which somehow used to keep the bug alive. If you could put a few words inside that space you have Poly in its current incarnation.

That said, I love green bug goo dried all over my windshield so put me down as 100% behind the green color for Poly.

Best analogy I have heard in a while

*"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Working...
                                X