Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update: this event has been cancelled (CivCon '09: Make Your Reservation Today)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update: this event has been cancelled (CivCon '09: Make Your Reservation Today)

Edit by Robert Plomp:
    This event has unfortunately been cancelled by the CivCon'09 committee.
    Official cancellation message:

Cancellation Notice
    Speaking on behalf of the CivCon '09 Committee, it is with regret that we inform you that this event has been canceled. The reason for coming to this unfortunate decision was due to low registration numbers, even during the 'early bird' period which ended this past Tuesday. Further, lower interest and availability still was received to participate in the multiplayer tournaments, which were to have made up a considerable portion of the event's itinerary.

Thank you to those of you who expressed interest in this event, and an additional nod of appreciation to those of you who did register. Refunds for registration payments, minus applicable PayPal fees, are to be issued within the next few business days -- contact Treasurer Joe "joebreeves" Reeves (joe.reeves@gmail.com) if you have any concerns in this regard. For hotel and any other reservations (e.g. airfare), you will need to cancel them yourselves. Check the terms of these bookings to ensure that you cancel before you are charged for the service.

It had been hoped that registration numbers would have been plentiful enough to see CivCon '09 realized, but unfortunately that has been proven not to be the case. Hopefully there will be further convention opportunities in the future, and that they will come to pass to ultimately become ApolyCon '06's successors.

----
    Daniel "DanQ" Quick
    CivCon '09 Committee Adviser

Original post:

Apolyton and CFC are pleased to announce the first ever CivCon '09.

CivCon '09 is a unique event where Civilization lovers and gaming fans can gather to learn new strategies and techniques from the professionals, and mingle with the celebrities of the Firaxis world.

The convention will include:
    - Gaming tournaments
    - Keynote addresses given by Firaxis
    - Breakout sessions from professionals in the field
    - and some surprises

CivCon '09 will be held on August 7-9, 2009 in Hunt Valley, Maryland (just a stone's throw from Firaxis headquarters).

Embassy Suites Baltimore North/Hunt Valley
    213 International Circle
    Hunt Valley, MD 21030

UPDATE 7/14/09:
    As of July 14, 2009, Registration is priced at $120. This includes three meals and entrance to gaming tournaments. Even though the discount code for the hotel room may not work after July 14, please call the hotel and make sure you put your registration under the CivCon '09 room block.

UPDATE 12/12/08: CIVCON has reserved a limited block of rooms for a discounted rate at this hotel. For more information on pricing and reservations please see our CivCon '09 Group Page

Please see our registration page for a complete listing of events.

We hope to see you there!
    Last edited by Robert; July 22, 2009, 15:28.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Could you please provide a link to the thread on CFC as well... it sounds interesting!
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Excellent.

I'll be there.

(assuming I can work off the admission fee)
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

August 7-9.... it'll be hard to get there, certainly then, but I'll try my best.
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Come, CS.

Maybe, you, me, and Capo can do a diplogaming breakout session.

Maybe CapTVK will show up again?
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Good luck.

I do wonder though if calling it CivCon sends the wrong message.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
              Could you please provide a link to the thread on CFC as well... it sounds interesting!
              Sure, you can see it in the BTS forum, CivRev forum, and the Colonization forum.
              Last edited by DanQ; November 3, 2008, 20:55.
              Civ4 CFC Hall of Fame: Forums, Rules, FAQ, Tables, Email: hof.civfanatics@gmail.com

Comment

Good initiative. I won't be able to come, but I wish you all luck. If I had come, Asher would probably have tried to strangle me within five seconds of him seeing me, so perhaps just as good I don't come either.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                  Come, CS.

Maybe, you, me, and Capo can do a diplogaming breakout session.

Maybe CapTVK will show up again?
                  I'm currently planning my vacation to Denmark in that same time frame, with friends.
                  What am I going to tell them? We cancel the vacation because I'm going to a game convention in the USA?
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                    I'm currently planning my vacation to Denmark in that same time frame, with friends.
                    What am I going to tell them? We cancel the vacation because I'm going to a game convention in the USA?
                    I think that would be an acceptable excuse
                    In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Methos
                      Sure, you can see it in the BTS forum, CivRev forum, and the Colonization forum.
                      First and latter most links corrected. (Tisk, tisk... at myself too for not noting both link difficulties the first time. )
                      Last edited by DanQ; November 3, 2008, 20:56.
                      PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                      >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimandua
                        I think that would be an acceptable excuse
                        Indeed! Plans can change, can't they?

I plan to attend.
                        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I will obviously be there. My wife is still considering whether she will go or not, so please speak up if anyone elses spouses will be going. I'm sure they'd love to get together and make fun of us and our gaming convention!
                          Civ4 CFC Hall of Fame: Forums, Rules, FAQ, Tables, Email: hof.civfanatics@gmail.com

Comment

If I go there is no way Im bringing the ball and chain
                            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

For those interested in knowing, the CivCon '09 Committee is made up of the following individuals (titles in brackets) at present:

• Annalee "Cartimandua" Barney (Lead Organizer)
                            • Joe "snoopy369" Matise (Finances Lead, Event Organizer, IT Lead)
                            • Methos (Marketing Lead, CFC Liaison)
                            • Kenneth "Zopperoni" Lim (Marketing and IT Assistant, Webmaster)
                            • Daniel "DanQ" Quick (Advisor, ACS Administrative Liaison)
                            Last edited by DanQ; November 4, 2008, 23:19.

Comment

Working...
                              X