No announcement yet.

Connection Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The site is still slow as a slowpoke. Opening pages takes ages! And I still get these database errors all the time.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

...and My Threads still get me that error ALL the time.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Yesterday's gongshow of an outage during primetime to put in changes that resulted in a gongshow of an outage today to remove the changes introduced yesterday proves I don't deserve to be here?
        Its not a question of whether there were outages and slowdowns, its a question of your continued arrogant attitude toward the people who keep this site going. IIRC insulting the same group of people was why you got the boot last time. Given your record, I wouldnt put up with it this time either and you'd already be gone. The mods are more forgiving than I am though.

Here's a thought, start your own site and run it how you will. Nothing is a better "I told you so" than proving your point by actually doing something rather than just jabbering about it.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Great it's back, but still slow for me.

Comment

Yeah, here too.
            Blah

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH

Its not a question of whether there were outages and slowdowns, its a question of your continued arrogant attitude toward the people who keep this site going. IIRC insulting the same group of people was why you got the boot last time. Given your record, I wouldnt put up with it this time either and you'd already be gone. The mods are more forgiving than I am though.

Here's a thought, start your own site and run it how you will. Nothing is a better "I told you so" than proving your point by actually doing something rather than just jabbering about it.
              I already did co-run a Civ gaming site for a couple years that was pretty popular. I don't know if you know about it, but it was SidGames.com. I was in high school and we still kept it up with like 99.99% reliability, which is far more than Apolyton.

We even had far more customized message board software than Apolyton, and it was running in Cold Fusion.

Unfortunately when the bubble burst and ad revenue went down, I didn't have any of my own money to invest at the time to keep it going because I was still in high school.

So I've done it, back when the web technology was far less stable and we had to do far more stuff ourselves. I just simply can't fathom the difficulties this site is experiencing and it annoys me to no end. I appreciate people are putting time into it, but it seems like the more time they put into it the worse we are. I'm not just talking about outages and all that ****, but all of these annoying mods to vBulletin are preventing us from running the latest. And I think most people here would rather run with all of the changes in the latest vBulletin and deal with a far more stable site than have CivGroups and the like.

Edit: Judging by your join date, I'm going to assume you didn't know about the site.
              Last edited by Asher; June 7, 2008, 13:49.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Dale

Reason I say UN-planned is that you can't claim an outage as planned if you suddenly go "Holy ****, we need a new blah blah blah, gotta do it now!"
                Teh UN is planning Poly's outages?
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

It's not surprising that you were involved with Sidgames, Ash. My main memories of the site are that the people who ran it tended to be complete asses and I tended to have confrontations there
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Well, the site works okay now it seems. But My Threads, my single most used feature here, still only give me an error ,after trying to load for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                      It's not surprising that you were involved with Sidgames, Ash. My main memories of the site are that the people who ran it tended to be complete asses and I tended to have confrontations there
                      And amazingly enough we were still more reasonable in administering a fair and consistent policy. And I'm not even going to mention our superiority in reliability and technology skills.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

And amazingly enough Sidgames is no longer around, ditto for most of the people who ran it

Comment

And amazingly enough Sidgames is no longer around, ditto for most of the people who ran it
                          St Leo is still around, so am I.

It's no longer around because Kunal and I both were not in any financial situation to support it as the cost of bandwidth skyrocketed and the ad revenue plummeted as the dot-com bubble burst. It was simply bad timing. As I said, I was in high school and just about to start first year university when this happened. The situation's massively improved since then, but it was also something I wasn't too passionate about.

I really loathe website design, and maintenance even more. The technologies are stale and old.

Now if Apolyton wanted to re-write the whole thing in C# using .NET 3.5 I'd be delighted to do it.

Comment

I am not convinced that .NET 3.5 through C# is the best platform for a website Heck, if it were, I might even be seen doing something here!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Now if Apolyton wanted to re-write the whole thing in C# using .NET 3.5 I'd be delighted to do it.
                              Asher, I believe these folks heere at Poly are looking for volunteers to assist in th technical end.

I believe, from my Staff Days, the requirement was that you had to be kin or know someone here, Dont You know someone here?

I honestly think you need only ask someone politely, be civil, small, ever so warm breath when you..umm..kissey-poo
                              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I am not convinced that .NET 3.5 through C# is the best platform for a website Heck, if it were, I might even be seen doing something here!
                                Well, that's your problem. C#/ASP.NET is the platform to build websites on now. It's faster and WAY more capable than PHP. Ditto for J2EE-powered sites.

I've built some extremely powerful mini-sites in no time for the intranet on the bank I work for using C#.

Comment

Working...
                                X