PolyCast Episode 43: "Mouth to Mouth"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PolyCast Episode 43: "Mouth to Mouth"

Another fortnight brings with it another episode of PolyCast (PC), an official podcast of Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS), its forty-third. "Mouth to Mouth" now netcasting features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Makahlua and Imran Siddiqui with Annalee "Cartimandua" Barney and returning guest co-host Bruce "Grandpa Troll" Cronkite. It runs for 44m59s.

PC is a bi-weekly one-hour audio production of ACS is an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; its sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding. To date, ACS is the only known community on the Web to produce its own Civ podcasts.
    Last edited by DanQ; August 23, 2008, 23:45.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Summary of Topics

- 01m49s | News
      There's not just one or even two new previews of Civilization Revolution but three. Then there are the release date changes.
    - 06m15s | Forum Talk
      Exploring after initial expansion and enabling wineries in Civilization IV.
    - 15m35s | Senate
      Are Courthouses worth building and how are Paratroopers useful in the game.
    - 29m15s | Interview
      Speaking to Bruce "Beta" Hynes in the second of a two-parter about the Civ IV Beyond the Sword Democracy Game (BtSDG) whose start is all but imminent on Apolyton.
    - 37m15s | Research Lab
      How to make colonies sensible in CivIV.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
      The 'Real World' under your CivIV empire.
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I enjoyed being a part of yet another PolyCast

As allways, a pleasure to see some useful topics discussed and for me, opened a newer thought process as to why I am not using these techniques or strategies!

The graciousness of Miss Maki, Cartimandua,Imran and DanQ as hosts , makes PolyCast a must listen to and hopefully more qualified individuals will step forward in coming podcasts to further promote our gaming experiences!

Gramps
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Thank you for being apart of this edition, Bruce.

Comment

Another good episode with some thought provoking topics!!

Thanks once again for hyping the BtS DG Beta!!!

The Rabbits will try not to savage your empire too much with their nasty pointy teeth!!!!

Honest!!!
          Let your every day be full of joy, love the child that holds your hand, let your wife delight in your embrace, for these alone are the concerns of humanity.
          The BtS Pitboss Team Democracy Game has just started!!!
          Come and test your metal in the Apolyton Civ4 Beyond the Sword Tri-League Tournament
          Tohunga o kairākau of Southern Cross in the Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game, and Member of the Great Council and Curator of The Khan's Compendium for The Horde in the Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

Good episode.

I think DanQ, however, missed the point about permitting masters & vassals to negotiate the terms of ceding military control. It's fine to have "demand control" as an option, but this also seems like a very sensitive issue that vassals might be expected to resist if possible. And the master may not really want to risk fighting his vassal -- especially if he's in the middle of a war with other powers (which is likely the reason the master wants to directly control the vassal's military in the first place.)

Sometimes, when the leashed dog asks for a bone, the master throws one his way. No reason for this not to be reflected in the game.
            "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Originally posted by jkp1187
              Good episode.

I think DanQ, however, missed the point about permitting masters & vassals to negotiate the terms of ceding military control. It's fine to have "demand control" as an option, but this also seems like a very sensitive issue that vassals might be expected to resist if possible. And the master may not really want to risk fighting his vassal -- especially if he's in the middle of a war with other powers (which is likely the reason the master wants to directly control the vassal's military in the first place.)

Sometimes, when the leashed dog asks for a bone, the master throws one his way. No reason for this not to be reflected in the game.
              I'm quite certain I got the point -- I just didn't/don't agree with the argument is all. My view on a vassal ceding military control is as is already the case when it comes to a vassal giving up a resource even if they're using it: the master demands it, and if the vassal refuses than the two states are immediately at war. A master negotiating resource control with a vassal is not reflected in the game, and I support that too. (Yes, in 'real life' both of these circumstances could be negotiable.)

I concur that the master may not want to risk going to war with their vassal over ceding military control or even a resource for that matter. Therefore, I hold that in either circumstance the master needs to decide whether or not they want to take that risk. (Reloads in singleplayer notwithstanding. )

Comment

Another great episode.

Great to hear Gramps on Polycast again!

I always try and explore after initial expansion - it has too many benefits not to do it. One thing I don't think was mentioned was using this to follow wars between other civs, and additionally just normal troop movements - which can be used to great advantage (if you are willing to actually invade another civ ).

Beta's continued talk about the DG's was also very good.

DG's are a very different way to play civ - and a great way to learn different ways of dealing with the challenges of the game from your fellow players.

And 'Poly being able to host PitBoss games would be very cool.

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog

I always try and explore after initial expansion - it has too many benefits not to do it. One thing I don't think was mentioned was using this to follow wars between other civs, and additionally just normal troop movements - which can be used to great advantage (if you are willing to actually invade another civ ).
                  Excellent points Nugog!!

Makes sense though, to see what is happening
                  Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
                    Another great episode.

One thing I don't think was mentioned was using this to follow wars between other civs, and additionally just normal troop movements - which can be used to great advantage (if you are willing to actually invade another civ ).
                    I mentioned normal troop movements (~9 minute mark), in larger centres anyway, but not following wars between other civs specifically. It's good to do so, and now you've done so.

And 'Poly being able to host PitBoss games would be very cool.

Time will continue to tell on the possibilities (or not).

Comment

Working...
                    X