Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Murg
    2. Victory condition specific strategy talk
    Amidst doing other tasks, I stumbled across the episode from PolyCast's first season where these were discussed. This was recorded and therefore reflective of pre-Beyond the Sword days so we'll look into an 'update' as a topic.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

For Modcast:

Is it worthwhile for modders to make their mods "modular"? A lot of people on CFC seem to be pushing the whole modularity thing, especially for new civilizations. (I think this is what the "World of Civ" thing is about.) I never bothered with it in my own mods, since I was more focused on making sure things worked properly than to go around re-working things so that it would be compatible with the modular scheme. Should I bother with it in the future, though? (Whenever I get time to mod again, that is.)

(And do I get points for the assonance in the first line of the preceding paragraph?)
      "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Sorry for the tardy reply but:

Originally posted by jkp1187
        For Modcast:

Is it worthwhile for modders to make their mods "modular"? A lot of people on CFC seem to be pushing the whole modularity thing, especially for new civilizations. (I think this is what the "World of Civ" thing is about.) I never bothered with it in my own mods, since I was more focused on making sure things worked properly than to go around re-working things so that it would be compatible with the modular scheme. Should I bother with it in the future, though? (Whenever I get time to mod again, that is.)

(And do I get points for the assonance in the first line of the preceding paragraph?)
        Great question. This whole modular thing is for a major part Ken's creation so it'd be great to have him talk about it. Unfortunately he wasn't around for the recording we did today, but we'll put this on the topic list for the next show he's on.

As for the CIV Gold and Planetfall mods, talking to those guys is definitely on our to-do list. Unfortunately that list is growing faster than our ability to actually record shows But we'll get around to them for sure. Dragonia II and Warhammer are still pretty early (pre-)beta projects, we prefer to focus on more finished products for now, but I'm sure we'll eventually cover those as well.

Thanks for all the ideas, keep the suggestions coming...
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

ModCast discussion topic suggestion:

Also perhaps try to apply it to some well-known mod?

Default Civ4 probably wouldn't be a good subject for this. Default Civ4's tech tree is very thin and interconnected (and as a consequence boring IMO), meaning you need to research about all techs to progress up the tree anyway, regardless of the use of their contents.
          Last edited by Maniac; April 27, 2008, 21:12.
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

PolyCast discussion topic suggestion:

The defensive bonus associated with culture.

I have a real beef with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Pinchak

We'll see what we can do.
              >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Alpha Centauri Special Polycast out!

-->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Polycast topic suggestion:

I really miss the economic victory condition from SMAC -- is it a good idea? If so, how best could this be implemented? The concept "mind controlling" bases from SMAC wouldn't really fit in the Civ universe, so we'd need some in-game justification for it.

Someone on Poly had an idea of a "corporate victory" -- though I didn't think that idea was workable.

"The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Originally posted by jkp1187
                    Polycast topic suggestion:

I really miss the economic victory condition from SMAC -- is it a good idea? If so, how best could this be implemented? The concept "mind controlling" bases from SMAC wouldn't really fit in the Civ universe, so we'd need some in-game justification for it.

Someone on Poly had an idea of a "corporate victory" -- though I didn't think that idea was workable.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=177463
                    Thank you for the suggestion.

To confirm, this was discussed on Episode 45 of PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinchak

Suggestion received and included within Episode 46 of PC. I know you know that but as for most everyone else...

Comment

Maybe the modders should discuss how they would (hypothetically) emulate Col functionality within Civ4.

Comment

Whether masses of catapults is an anti stack solution that is elegant enough to make it into CiV. Other possible solutions could be discussed...my favorite being stacking limits perhaps ala the wargames? That tends to spread units out into fronts when there are enough of them in more modern times such as WWI & II. In ancient times when there aren't so many units several small stacks would resemble Napoleonic armies operating without fronts.

Much more historical.
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Should take a cencus of Poly console players who have or are willing to get SidRev to have a discussion. I recenty watched a commercial on the TV about SidRev and it looked very interesting. The videos of the action were well done. I'm not going to run out and get a PS3 for it but it would be nice to get some players experience.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

It's awful. And it's called CivRev.

Comment

I would like to hear a discussioon on when Locutus will provide a Python Class Reference for BtS, since I just about live on his Warlords one.

Comment

Working...
                                X