Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will there be an official mini article on search.wikia.com?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will there be an official mini article on search.wikia.com?

It's still empty. We should claim our right for this spot, before some filthy company does it (there are some). I was tempted to write an article myself, describing Poly as site with free pr0n, which would without doubt generate some heavy clickyness. But then, as good Apolytonian citizen, I decided to leave this to the site management.

We should hurry, or teh CFC terrorists win!

of course, should the admins be slackers, I still might do it according to my plan

If you want to assist us, it'd be better to improve the actual Wikipedia article on Apolyton.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The most important thing it lacks is apparently references from reliable, third party publications. I'm sorry, but I can't provide those.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
        The most important thing it lacks is apparently references from reliable, third party publications. I'm sorry, but I can't provide those.
        If you feel you cannot help with that -- Google searches should be a help with some of it anyway though -- you could assist by expanding on the details while providing appropriate references along the way such as you can. This would include expanding on the sections already there and adding new ones altogether.

As Solver said, assistance with our Wikipedia entry (first) would be better a use of one's time.
        PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Many of the references required can be gathered from right here at Apolyton or the Firaxis site, for example. Say, our own statistics of the yearly features:

etc.

The Warlords changelist can be quoted on saying that Blake developed many changes. The BtS manual can be quoted on saying he's programmed the BtS AI.

And you could just generally improve the article, it's quite short and hasn't had any notable changes since last February. Compare to the better organization and content of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civiliz...anatics_Center

Comment

What's Wikia?

Comment

A free wiki host.

Comment

Its a new search engine. But I suppose we don't want to be found...

Comment

Its a newgodawfully ugly search engine.
                  Corrected.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Their search is a new, poorly tested and poorly received search engine. Wikia itself is primarily a wiki host.

Comment

Re: Will there be an official mini article on search.wikia.com?

It's still empty. We should claim our right for this spot, before some filthy company does it (there are some). I was tempted to write an article myself, describing Poly as site with free pr0n, which would without doubt generate some heavy clickyness. But then, as good Apolytonian citizen, I decided to leave this to the site management.

We should hurry, or teh CFC terrorists win!

of course, should the admins be slackers, I still might do it according to my plan
                      As I understand it, this is no different from Wikipedia in that anyone can come in and edit the entry, not like we can lay claim to it and no one else can change it. This is basically supposed to be Wikipedia's Google-killer, good f*cking luck with that...

It's generally frowned upon for one to edit ones own Wikipedia entries. Not sure if the same is the case here, but knowing this community it's not terribly likely anyone else will put up a decent article anytime soon and we can certainly always use the Google juice, so I put up a basic article myself. If anyone wants to improve it that's fine by me, I'm not planning to maintain it until I have a better idea of how this project turns out: what the site and its content will look like (pretty empty so far), what ethics apply and how popular it will turn out to be.
                      Last edited by Locutus; January 7, 2008, 21:10.
                      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

You can't say something is poorly tested, if the public test has only just begun. It's not official yet. I expect the looks being beefed up on official launch too, that much about ugly.

Many people (not the mainstream tho) are sick with Google's hunger for personal data. There's at least a chance that it may develop into a search engine for geeks, which is pretty much how Google started. And I find it interesting myself, if viewers decide about the quality of a site and hence, about the position of a site in the search, and not some cryptic and secret proprietary algorithm (and probably bribe money).

I don't say it will beat Google - far from it - but it's at least an interesting idea and we should claim our spot in it.

Comment

Ralph, since none of the three staff members that have posted have thanked you for taking the time to post your suggestion, allow me to do so on behalf of the community.

Comment

It can't be hard to do that, and it's not many work: It's called mini-article for a reason, a few lines surely suffice. Plus, it can probably be copy-pasted from some other description, perhaps even from Wiki. I would do it myself, but I feel it's really matter of the staff to describe their site.

We have an opportunity to represent ourselves here for free and get information about us into a potentially large community platform pretty early - and we would be dumb not to do so, no matter how ugly and untested this new platform is for the time being.

By the way, for Locutus!

Comment

Yes, he doesn't post very much, but when he does it's about actions.

Funny that, Gramphos posts even less but we all know he is working hard behind the scenes to keep the forums running and implementing the upgrade.

Maybe there is some kind of inverse correlation?

Comment

Working...
                              X