No announcement yet.

Request: change the spoiler tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree - hence my open offer above, within the time constraints I now face.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
      I know you are joking but would point out that I previously volunteered to help more fully when I had more time - in particular sending you Ming and MarkG a very lengthy PM on restructuring and moderating the Civ3 forums, during that dark period where Ming was notionally mod but only ever went there when people reported stuff. I didn't even get an acknowledgement of the time I had put into my proposals. I have to say this put me off a bit.
      I do not recall this instance -- it must have been some time ago, particularly given the circumstances you describe about Ming's moderatorship (I take it you mean "nominally" not "notionally"?)

Did you follow-up on your proposal if it was not even acknowledged within a reasonable period of time (e.g. a week later, two weeks later)? I'm not talking about more than one or two follow-ups over, say, a month or so after sending the original proposals -- I can appreciate how that would get too tiring and frustrating very quickly after that.

If Ming, Markos or myself still did not follow-up than that was certainly a collective oversight on our parts.
      PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
      >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Um, reading comprehension is key.
        Yes, and I'm quite certain I read you well.

I do think the chief owner should keep tabs on what other staff members are saying, and should be able himself to answer reasonable questions about progress on promised developments.
        I do "keep tabs", as you say, but again we are all volunteers here and I am not "big brother". I answered the question reasonably: as it's Ming's purview, you should give him a reasonable opportunity to answer your follow-up inquiry before bringing it to me.

A policy providing updates on previous commitments not yet met (perhaps for good reason of course) is just good management. Sorry if that offends you.
        Updates are always provided on previous commitments. We do what we can to provide those updates unprompted, but when we miss doing so it is for good reason (i.e.. "real life happenings"). All that is required in circumstances where there is reason to believe we have forgotten is a reminder in a calm and civil fashion.

Sorry if you're still not getting the message.
        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
          Apolyton's forums will be upgraded to version 3.x of this software and when that happens -- which we hope is sooner rather than later still -- the spoiler tag implementation will 'upgrade' along with it.

Well that's great to hear - hope you can manage that at some point in near future.

How is it with all the modifications of current version - will you be implementing some of them onto the new version or?

I for one, as the great lurker on APO, do appriciate your work.
          - I just wish I would have the energy to be involved on a regular base to a similiar task. (I know myself too well by now to not to even begin)

Comment

We have a thread where an upgrade to vB3 was recently discussed.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Jeje2

Well that's great to hear - hope you can manage that at some point in near future.
              I understand and appreciate your focusing on the "sooner rather than later", but the qualification and emphasis is on "hope". "Sooner rather than later" is relative too.

Comment

I do not recall this instance -- it must have been some time ago, particularly given the circumstances you describe about Ming's moderatorship (I take it you mean "nominally" not "notionally"?)
                I mean notionally.

Did you follow-up on your proposal if it was not even acknowledged within a reasonable period of time (e.g. a week later, two weeks later)? I'm not talking about more than one or two follow-ups over, say, a month or so after sending the original proposals -- I can appreciate how that would get too tiring and frustrating very quickly after that.

If Ming, Markos or myself still did not follow-up than that was certainly a collective oversight on our parts.
                I did not follow up that I recall - it went to the three most senior members of the staff so I naturally assumed that no response from either meant there was no interest in what I was saying. Yes, it was a collective oversight, though to be fair to you at that time you hardly ever posted.

Comment

I understand and appreciate your focusing on the "sooner rather than later", but the qualification and emphasis is on "hope".
                  Nice, you got it

"There is always hope --
                  only because it's the one thing no one's figured out how to kill yet."
                  Galen on Babylon 5: Crusade

Who? Me? Optimistic!! -

Comment

Yes, and I'm quite certain I read you well.

I do "keep tabs", as you say, but again we are all volunteers here and I am not "big brother". I answered the question reasonably: as it's Ming's purview, you should give him a reasonable opportunity to answer your follow-up inquiry before bringing it to me.

Updates are always provided on previous commitments. We do what we can to provide those updates unprompted, but when we miss doing so it is for good reason (i.e.. "real life happenings"). All that is required in circumstances where there is reason to believe we have forgotten is a reminder in a calm and civil fashion.

Sorry if you're still not getting the message.
                    I don't agree with your statement on updates - but would prefer to let it drop here. I love this site (26,000 posts! ) and (unlike some) realise it doesn't run itself.

All that's happened here is I've provided some thoughts in my usual direct style, thinking that given our many exchanges you aren't going to take offense and react defensively.

Comment

I love this site (26,000 posts! )
                      Maybe you just really hate the readers
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

... but would prefer to let it drop here.
                        As do I (and sometime before now in fact as I tried to make evident without actually saying so).

I love this site (26,000 posts! ) and (unlike some) realise it doesn't run itself. [..]

All that's happened here is I've provided some thoughts in my usual direct style, thinking that given our many exchanges you aren't going to take offense and react defensively.
                        You can be direct but recognize that in text only being direct means being that much more careful in how you say what you're saying, particularly if and where not accompanied by appropriate used smilies/emoticons.

No one's perfect, myself included, so some benefit of the doubt should reasonably be given here. I'm certain I gave that and then some. It's limited benefit particularly in circumstances of continued, severe/intense antagonism. Knowledge and consideration of past exchanges can only go so far in terms of supporting its context.

Moving forward time.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                          Maybe you just really hate the readers

Comment

Some are a pain in the ass, that is to be sure.

Comment

As do I (and sometime before now in fact as I tried to make evident without actually saying so).

You can be direct but recognize that in text only being direct means being that much more careful in how you say what you're saying, particularly if and where not accompanied by appropriate used smilies/emoticons.

No one's perfect, myself included, so some benefit of the doubt should reasonably be given here. I'm certain I gave that and then some. It's limited benefit particularly in circumstances of continued, severe/intense antagonism. Knowledge and consideration of past exchanges can only go so far in terms of supporting its context.

Moving forward time.
                              I really did want to let it drop immediately - but continued severe/intense antagonism? I'm not the most diplomatic person on here I'd be the first to admit but I never post anything about the site other than give feedback you can choose to use if you want.

And for what it's worth I think that being direct about what you mean is a lot better than hiding veiled insults within a mock-polite exterior.

Comment

If you want to do a list such as that why not just link each point on the list to the corresponding post? The current spoiler tag is fine for the job that it has been designed to do, which is to hide spoiler info.
                                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                                X