No announcement yet.

IRC matters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just watched the review and it's hilarious. I haven't played the game but I have some sympathy with the views he's expressed about a certain style of PC RPG.

Comment

I don't. If you already know you dislike a particular genre, then you shouldn't be reviewing games in it. I mean, I already know that I don't like sports games. So if I happened to review a sports game, I'd **** all over it because, duh, I don't like that genre. Is that a fair way to handle it? Not at all.

With that being said, I did find his Crysis review funny.

Bh

Comment

Absolutely, that should be the first rule of game reviewing. Reviews should be done by people who truly enjoy the genre. That doesn't mean that reviews will or should be positive - but it means that the reviewer will actually understand the game. It's almost always a problem with niche games, they get poor reviews - not poor scores per se necessarily, but the reviews themselves are crap.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

If a genre breaks every rule in the book about what makes for a good game you can sh*t on it all you want

Plus, I think you're missing the point of 0! -- if Yahtzee ever reviewed Civ I'd fully expect him to rip it a new one, I'd be sorely disappointed if he didn't...
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus

Plus, I think you're missing the point of 0! -- if Yahtzee ever reviewed Civ I'd fully expect him to rip it a new one, I'd be sorely disappointed if he didn't...
            Yes, I'm afraid both posts totally miss the point of these reviews. He will criticise any game (except Portal, and he got complaints for that!) and it's actually especially funny to watch him pick out the poor (but commonplace) gameplay elements you don't always notice in great games, and skewer them for what they are.

And of course, bad games get mauled more. Once you've seen a few more reviews you will realise that under the usually extensive criticism you can tell whether or not he thinks the game is good. Bioshock is a good example - he finds lots of fault with what is (I think) the best game of 2007, but you can tell he still really likes the game.

The reviews are refreshingly different in style, often insightful, and above all very funny.

Comment

Hey, please. I found a lot of faults in Bioshock and wrote about them, and I'm inclined to agree it's the year's best game!

Comment

Irrelevant - you've completed missed the point once again.

Comment

I can't miss the point, I haven't watched those reviews

Comment

That's precisely why you are.

Comment

So what, I should give in to peer pressure and watch them now?

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                          So what, I should give in to peer pressure and watch them now?
                          That's very much your choice, and ultimately depends on your level of aversion to missing the point.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

Yes, I'm afraid both posts totally miss the point of these reviews. He will criticise any game (except Portal, and he got complaints for that!) and it's actually especially funny to watch him pick out the poor (but commonplace) gameplay elements you don't always notice in great games, and skewer them for what they are.
                            I don't think I missed the point. I know his "schtick" is to maul games. I've watched a number of them, it's pretty obvious.

And of course, bad games get mauled more. Once you've seen a few more reviews you will realise that under the usually extensive criticism you can tell whether or not he thinks the game is good. Bioshock is a good example - he finds lots of fault with what is (I think) the best game of 2007, but you can tell he still really likes the game.
                            Well, leaving aside the fact that I found Bioshock pretty mediocre personally... Yes, you can tell whether he thinks a game is good or not, and it's pretty obvious he didn't think The Witcher was good. And it's also pretty obvious that's because he dislikes RPGs in general. If you're going to rip apart a game like that, simply because you don't like the genre to begin with, you've got no place reviewing it to begin with.

I wouldn't have minded if The Witcher was crap, and he'd simply pointed that out. But he made it sound like crap when it's actually a very entertaining game. That's a pretty dishonest way to go about it.

The reviews are refreshingly different in style, often insightful, and above all very funny.
                            Well, that's why I said I find them hit or miss. Sometimes (again, I'll use the Crysis one as an example) he's spot on. Sometimes he's not.

Bh

Comment

Working...
                            X