This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profanity Filter

So what words are currently on the profanity filter?

I suddenly discovered that the harmless word "da-mn" is on it: ****.

This is while crap or turd or poop or bloody isn't.

I think that da-mn is too da.. er.... I mean way too important and casual to be censored.

I mean, what else can I use? "darn"? "drats"? I'd feel like I'm with the Brady Bunch.

My favourite example of censorship silliness is that one third of the phrase "***-for-tat" is censored.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Siro beat me to it. I was just going to make a thread on this.

This profanity filter is too much.

What is wrong with da mn?

I can see words like c***, p****, d***, c***, and of course f***. Though d*** is a tough on as it is someone's name.

dy*** should also not be censored as that is someone's name. Same with t** as mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
        dy***
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

I think that all but the Seven Dirty Words (warning: article contains uncensored dirty words; if you are morally scarred for life, don't say I didn't warn you) should be allowed.

EDIT: trimmed the post down to just the main point.
          XBox Live: VovanSim
          xbox.com (login required)
          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
          Spore page

Comment

There is no way "piss" is one of the seven dirtiest words.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

too many astericks. should be dy**. as ind dick van ****.

Comment

d y k e is censored?

Comment

You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, **** you! God **** you all to hell!
                  one of the great movie quotes ruined by the filter.

It makes it confusing. If you were to think it was f**k, the context would be all screwed up.

Comment

i disagree with the 7 dirty words.

Comment

Yeah... The first two on the list seem a bit outdated, and are pretty common use these days.
                      XBox Live: VovanSim
                      xbox.com (login required)
                      Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                      Spore page

Comment

sh** is still a no-no on U.S. television.

I believe you can say piss now. For the longest time you couldn't say ass, but in the 80's more and more shows started using it. First they started off with lighter versions like jackass or horse's ass. Not actually reference the human body part.

I still remember the MASH episode when Hawkeye calls the one guy a son of a *****. That seemed like a big deal back then.

the n word is a big no-no as well. But some shows have used it to address racism issues in their shows.

pu*** really can't be used on tv. At least not in the context we'd like to use it.

I'm reading the 7 dirty words on wiki right now. Turd is acceptable on tv I think. though you don't hear it much. Tw** is still a big no-no. Especially gay twa**. . Fart isn't a big deal now. That was more celf censorship. For the longest time tv shows didn't have fart jokes. But now tv shows are nothing but fart jokes.

****, why am I going through all this when wiki already has a count how many times they have been used. I like how they count how many times **** was used on South Park. But that is cable, and not regular networks. When I was a kid we didn't have cable. And there were just certain words that were never heard (except when my dad said them all the time when he was drunk)

Several of the words on Carlin's original list have since been used on broadcast television to varying degrees. The word "tits" was uttered on the first episode of The Trials of Rosie O'Neill in 1990, sparking some controversy. The word "piss" (usually used in the context of the phrase "piss off", both as a verb — "This is going to piss somebody off" — and as an expletive) has been commonplace since the late 1990s although generally limited to dramatic programming. The word "****" has been heard on rare occasions, such as an episode of Chicago Hope, or in an episode of South Park on cable TV, where the word "****" was said 162 times. Producers have also on occasion flirted with the word "****", although often in an obscured fashion. For example, the NCIS episode "Bete Noire" has a character clearly utter the phrase "****ing bastard" but the first word is obscured by a sound effect. One of Carlin's later additions to the list, "fart", is also used frequently.

Comment

you ever notice how some cuss words fall out of style?

My dad used to use pr*** alot. but no one uses ***** anymore. It's a cool word. Why not use it? My dad used to use cu** alot. He'd compare everything to the size of a cu** hair.

edit: I didn't think ***** was censored. Guess I won't make a thread when I ***** my finger.

Comment

CU|\|T =

Comment

Damn removed from profanity filter.

Thread closed.
                              PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                              >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Working...
                              X