PolyCast, the Official A.C.S. Podcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PolyCast, the Official A.C.S. Podcast

The Civilization community now has an interactive voice. Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS) is the first Civ fansite to launch its own podcast. PolyCast is a bi-weekly roughly one-hour production featuring co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Wouter "Locutus" Snijders, Makahlua and Imran Siddiqui.

Standard segments in each episode are an introduction, "In the News", "Interview" and an ending; other regular segments are featured on a rotating basis. The series' first episode, "Let's Get It Started", is now available for download in MP3 format at 64kbps quality. The first of the rotating segments included in this premiere outing are the "Modcast" and "Mailbag".

"I came here for the Alpha Centauri forums and ended up in becoming a Civ [Play-By-Email (PBEM)] regular and Diplomacy game irregular. [Now I'm] in a Civ podcast -- how'd that happen?" comments Makahlua, PolyCast's sole female co-host. "I'm hoping we can make the news more lively for you listeners out there; and hope our other segments don't bore you to death what with a bunch of CivNerds blathering on and on. And on. If you think we sound like amateurs now, you should hear the pre-pilots!"

"If you think I'm strange on the forums, wait until ya hear me!" pipes in Siddiqui.

Adding to the show's interactive capability are means to call-in via Skype, telephone and email the co-hosts your questions or comments about Civ the game, community, or the show and Apolyton itself. Particularly verbal but also written communications may be used and discussed on future episodes. The first episode can also be rated and comments on.

PolyCast is ACS' official podcast.

---------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

The response seems to be so overwhelming Dan... I can hardly deal with all these queries
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

That's what he gets for releasing it on a Friday night
      But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
      PolyCast | Girl playing Civ + extra added babble! | Yo voté en 2008!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        The response seems to be so overwhelming Dan... I can hardly deal with all these queries
        Give it time.

Originally posted by Makahlua
        That's what he gets for releasing it on a Friday night
        That's when I have the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if soon this series is another reason why some (hopefully many!) Civers look forward to every other "TGIF" period.

---------
        Dan; Apolyton CS
        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

How many times has it been downloaded?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

It's amusing

But you all need to keep the microphone in a steady place, or buy "clip-on" mikes, because some people keep breathing into the mike, or getting really far from it.

I must say that Makahula has the best voice

And Locutus is at times difficult to understand. Sorry dude

You must also sometime remind us who is talking, since several minutes into the show I lost track between Imran and DanQ... So I just assumed that Imran is the funnier guy

Comment

How many times has it been downloaded?
              Are we counting team members in the total?

---------
              Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Did you guys actually met up, or was it recorded in some sort of web-meeting internet environment?

P.S. the music bits must be improved. I'm sure Poly has enough talented musicians who can quickly compose and record some intro for the show.

Comment

Uh.... no comment, Dan .

So I just assumed that Imran is the funnier guy

That's the best thing to do .

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
                    Did you guys actually met up, or was it recorded in some sort of web-meeting internet environment?
                    It was over Skype... online. We are too spread out otherwise .

Comment

It's amusing

But you all need to keep the microphone in a steady place, or buy "clip-on" mikes, because some people keep breathing into the mike, or getting really far from it.
                      Yes, and/or short of that , we're looking into software that can do a better, more even job of leveling out speech volumes

I must say that Makahula has the best voice

And Locutus is at times difficult to understand. Sorry dude
                      There was a problem with the original encode of this episode with Locutus' audio, but I was able to compensate for it today and uploaded a 'corrected' version about an hour ago as of this posting. I suspect then that you have/had the original version -- try downloading the episode again to get the 'corrected' version.

Apologies all around for that technical difficulty!

You must also sometime remind us who is talking, since several minutes into the show I lost track between Imran and DanQ... So I just assumed that Imran is the funnier guy
                      and you're so banned for that!  

---------
                      Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

You must also sometime remind us who is talking
                        We refered to who was Dan every once in a while. He was the one who talked the most .

Comment

P.S. the music bits must be improved. I'm sure Poly has enough talented musicians who can quickly compose and record some intro for the show.
                          The music are excerpts from the Civilization IV and Warlords expansion pack soundtrack, although in the case of the ~20 second theme song at the beginning (and included again at the very end) there is a bit of... reproducing in there.

I've/we've(?) grown quite fond of the intro and the end theme, so I don't see replacing them, but a) someone is quite welcome to try to impress me/us enough to do so and b) we certainly encourage the submission of other compositions to consider if someone is willing and able to produce some original work for the show.

-------
                          Dan; Apolyton CS

P.S. Hope you'll consider rating this episode too!

Comment

I think having original music for the show would be a really great thing to have, but none of us have any talents in that area AFAIK so people will have to volunteer to help with that... we wouldn't say no to any volunteering at this point

We did have some technical issues with my side of the recording this time around (I almost wasn't on the show at all). Dan's fixed some of them earlier today but it's still not quite what it would normally be. Also, it's been a few years since I've actually spoken English on a regular basis so my accent's a bit thicker than it used to be, I'm sure that'll improve as we do more of these. But this is only the first ep, we still have a lot to learn; things should only get better from here
                            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

We refered to who was Dan every once in a while. He was the one who talked the most .
                              Yes I noticed that too

I also noticed Dan has the tendency of casually reminding everyone about "that time that Mark and me went to Firaxis studios"

Comment

Working...
                              X