No announcement yet.

Something up with the flags in the members list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Union Flag becomes the Union Jack when flown from the Jackstaff. It's that simple. The Jackstaff is the flagpole sticking out the back of most ships.
    Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
    "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

Only Dauphin would know that. But only an idiot would make a DL pay for a Poly product. Tricky...

Comment

Originally posted by MMC
        The Union Flag becomes the Union Jack when flown from the Jackstaff. It's that simple. The Jackstaff is the flagpole sticking out the back of most ships.
        Yes, but the Union Flag is commonly known as Union Jack, everybody acknowledges this. Thus it´s the Union Jack even when it flies from Mr Jones flagpole in West Sussex.
        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Lots of things are commonly known - this does not necessarily make them true.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
            Lots of things are commonly known - this does not necessarily make them true.
            It's commonly known that Zoid knows all about British History and Tradition.
            Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009

Comment

Originally posted by MMC
              It's true!
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by MMC

I know a bit, and it's commonly called the Union Jack.

Ask any vet in any legion hall in Canada, and they'll call it the UJ.

I think I'll take their word for it over a pedant who thinks the English language is dead and should be placed on some shelf in a museum.

(\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by MMC

Not everything. Just some things, this happens to be one of them.

I´m sure you know a lot of things I don´t

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                    I think I'll take their word for it over a pedant who thinks the English language is dead and should be placed on some shelf in a museum.

So would I... but would you take their word over someone who speaks the Queen's English natively, and who knows quite a bit about British Naval tradition?

Or how about someone who believes that multi-culturalism is killing this country and that English traditions should taken out of the museum and put back into everyday life?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid

I´m sure you know a lot of things I don´t
                      Are you sure?
                      USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                      The video may avatar is from

Comment

I'm sure I know a lot of things Zoid doesn't.

Comment

Sorry to go back on topic, but this will only take a second:

"adult movies cc" between Abu Dhabi and Afghanistan.
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Well I think Zoid is reading this.
                            USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                            The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by MMC

So would I... but would you take their word over someone who speaks the Queen's English natively, and who knows quite a bit about British Naval tradition?
                              Yes.

The language is living, and it moves on. People aren't calling the Union Flag a jack. They are calling the flag of the United Kingdom (and Canada until 1965, btw) the Union Jack.

The Union Jack is the flag under which many of the members of the legion went to war, fought, and watched their friends and comrades die. That is why it is on display along with the Maple Leaf and provincial flags in many legion halls across the country.

Many of us also speak the Queen's English natively. Furthermore, many of the mentioned vets served in the Royal Navy, or the RAF, or the British Army, or in various branches of the Canadian military under British command. You've read a history book, or two, or three. Very good. They made some of that history. Whose word should I take?

Ultimately, it's a really silly issue. Things are called what they will be by the people who speak a language. A ****** at one point can be an unoffensive bundle of sticks, and at another a member of a group of people who are shunned. Likewise, people are not calling the Jack a jack, Jack. And that's a fact.

Or how about someone who believes that multi-culturalism is killing this country and that English traditions should taken out of the museum and put back into everyday life?
                              Huh?
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Will9

Are you sure?
                                No, I was just being polite...

Comment

Working...
                                X